ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Enters payroll data entry (new hires, rehires, payroll changes, and separations)
- Ensures required documents are received for all payroll transactions
- Creates new hire files
- Sends out reminder to payroll liaisons of outstanding checks in the Business Office (bi-weekly)
- Mails any outstanding checks that have not been picked up (bi-weekly)
- Notifies active and separated employees with stale-dated checks that have not been cashed/deposited (quarterly
- Assists payroll in boxing all Separated Personnel files and sending them to Iron Mountain (annually)
- Assists payroll in ensuring that all new hire packets, separations, payroll requests are complete and ready for processing.
- Assists with mailing-out W-2’s (annually)
- Monitors area office supplies and sends orders as needed
- Utilizes Google Email and Calendar
- Composes memorandums/letters as needed
- Completes tasks as assigned/required
Position is supervised by the Payroll Specialist.
Works closely with Payroll & Benefits Manager.
Further interactions may include other full-time staff within the Business Services and Payroll Supervisors.
PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Punctual and regular in attendance: arrive on time and ready for the workday
- Complete tasks satisfactorily
- Meet commitments
- Work independently
- Stays focused under pressure
- Ability to prioritize workload
- Ability to manage information flow (including internal, external and customer communication and filing/documentation)
Interpersonal Skills and Teamwork
- Work effectively with other employees/departments
- Develop positive working relationships
- Help improve work process
- Help to accomplish specific tasks
Quality and Accuracy
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrate thoroughness, completeness, follow through on presentation and appearance of work
- Greet all customers in a timely manner
- Answer the phone politely and courteously
- Assist all customers with questions and/or comments
- If unable to assist, refers customer to someone who can
- Maintain positive and effective working relationships with all customers
- Informs supervisor of any customer issues
MINIMUM & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Must speak fluent English and write legibly.
- Must have at least one year of customer service experience.
- Available to work a maximum 20 hours a week during academic year and possibly maximum 30 hours during class breaks and summer
- Must be able to work with confidential items and understand the importance of confidentiality in project work
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS:
This is a part-time (20 hours/week) position with expected hours to be worked during business hours of Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including banker boxes and files.
Part-Time; Starting Pay: $12.20 per hour