Under the direction of the Outdoor Programs Coordinator, the Aztec Adventures Outings Lead assists with the administration and preparation tasks associated with Aztec Adventures Outings Program. The Outings Lead is responsible for the enforcement of rules, policies, and procedures maintaining a safe learning environment for participants. Additionally, this position will assist with overseeing the equipment operations, training staff members, and conducting skill assessments/ leader evaluations. Becoming an integral member of a hard working team of full-time and part-time staff within Aztec Recreation, the Outings Lead should possess the ability to work independently and as a team member interacting with a diverse population of Aztec Recreation members and staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists with supervision of the weekly outings, equipment, facilities and program leaders enforcing all policies and procedures
- Provides logistical support and promotes safe practices to manage risks associated with Outings Program
- Utilizes quality judgement and group dynamic management to provide a safe learning environment encouraging participants to fully engage in the offered activities
- Assists with recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, scheduling, and evaluating outdoor leaders, interns and fieldworkers
- Mentors new hires and interns, making sure they are fully informed of the steps to becoming a leader and all Aztec Adventures policies and procedures
- Facilitates a full schedule of staff trainings/meetings including a minimum of two extended weekend trainings annually and one week long training at the start of the year
- Assists with the scheduling and supervising the equipment operations for our outings programs
- Creates the weekly tasks associated with the back-shop operations to maintain the equipment, transportation, and community garden
- Possesses expert working knowledge of equipment, outings/leisure class registration and retail computer procedures
- Manages daily equipment rental operations utilizing CSI software
- Maintains equipment facility space (ex. Storage, facility, back-shop, etc.) at all times keeping each area clean, neat and free of any hazardous objects, noting any maintenance items needing attention
- Oversees the fieldwork sustainability intern semester projects
- Assists with maintaining and repairing the outing gear and equipment
- Conducts the following meetings on a weekly/monthly basis:
- Meets with leaders after trips to obtain feedback for each trip to determine improvement areas
- Meets regularly with staff and interns to cover important topics, in-service trainings, upcoming events, etc.
- Updates and revises staff training manuals, program forms, fact sheet, check lists, waivers forms, etc.
- Has thorough understanding of the policies and regulations of the facility, Aztec Recreation, and Associated Students and is able to explain and enforce the rules to members and participants
- Serves as an active member in the Emergency Action Plan if an incident were to occur
- Attends and participates in all ARC, Aztec Adventures and Lead staff meetings and trainings
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various Associated Students and University departments
- Ensures customer service standards are met responding to customer inquiries in a timely manner
- Maintains positive and effective working relationships with all customers
- Informs supervisor of any customer issues
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Successful completion of an ENS Outdoor Skills course required
- Successful completion of Adventure Leadership I & II required
- Minimum 6 months employment with Aztec Recreation required
- Proficient knowledge of Aztec Adventures operations and Aztec Recreation programs, facilities, and policies required
- Specific experiences in the fields of backpacking, camping/hiking, paddling, and/or climbing are required
- Proficient computer skills required: must be able to utilize Google Email and Calendar, create reports/presentations utilizing Windows XP, Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint as required/needed
- Experience working with a variety of groups of customers ranging from youth to corporate is preferred
License & Certification:
- First Aid and CPR/AED certifications are required
- Valid California CDL Class B Driver’s License with proof of current insurance required
- Additional wilderness certifications (WFA, WFR, WEMT) required
- Activity Skill specific certification: PCGI, Adventure Leadership Courses, ACA, AMGA, CWI, etc.) preferred
- Must complete Gender Awareness, Computer Security, and Sexual Harassment Prevention trainings within 30 days of hire
- Must be able to develop and maintain quality effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and co-workers within a diverse, frequently changing campus community
- Must be able to work with confidential items and understand the importance of confidentiality in project work
- Must be capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff and customers
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Must be punctual and regular in attendance: arrive on time and ready for the workday
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Must be able to physically lead and demonstrate the skill and/or activity
- Must meet commitments and complete tasks satisfactorily by demonstrating thoroughness, completeness, follow through on presentation and appearance of work
- Must be able to work independently and stay focused under pressure
- Must be accurate and pay attention to detail with strong organizational skills
- Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Evidence of and ability to articulate a strong, current, practical knowledge of outdoor programming
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people effectively and diplomatically
- Ability to manage information flow prioritizing tasks effectively (including internal, external and participant communication).
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to take the initiative for additional projects and be self-motivated to initiate interactions with participants
- Ability to supervise part-time staff and operations during absence of Coordinator
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Must be able to work up to 20 hours per week including evenings and weekends. Employee schedules vary according to business needs throughout a full academic year. Extended workdays required for weekend outings trips.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available. Possible exposure to distracting/uncomfortable noise levels may require hearing protection to be worn when performing duties. When working outdoors for program activities, exposure to sun, heat, wind, rain, weather and other outdoor elements expected. Outdoor areas will include trails, campgrounds, field areas, lakes, rivers, pools, and challenge courses located in forested areas.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders. Work may require standing and moving for extended periods.
Inside the Organization:
- Position is supervised by the Aztec Adventures – Outdoor Programs Coordinator
- May include interaction other full-time staff within Aztec Recreation, including, but not limited to, Recreation Director, Associate Director of Programs, Associate Director of Member Services and Facilities, Facilities Supervisor, Member Services Supervisor and Coordinator, Building Services and Engineers, Member Services Supervisor, Marketing Coordinator, and Office Supervisor
- Additional interactions may include part-time staff within Aztec Recreation
Range II, $12.50
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.
Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.
MVR and DMV record review is required for positions that drive university vehicles with passengers.