GENERAL PURPOSE: Under the direction of the Human Resources Manager, assists with the administrative tasks of the Human Resources program to include Associated Students’ full- and part-time recruitment, onboarding, employee relations, confidential records retention, reporting of statistical data to support student success, internship opportunities and various other human resources functions. Additionally, this role shall serve as a point of contact, and as primary administrative support, for recruitment, hiring and onboarding for the Aztec Student Union department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the direction of the Human Resources Manager, coordinates the recruitment of part-time student positions for the Aztec Student Union department, including job postings, application distribution, correspondence with applicants
- Works closely with Human Resources Manager to ensure required background checks for Aztec Student Union part-time applicants are conducted
- Coordinates with Aztec Student Union hiring supervisors and Human Resources Manager regarding the scheduling and administration of new hire orientations for part-time Aztec Student Union employees, including the completion of new hire paper work and onboarding information
- In coordination with the Human Resources Manager, serves as a point of contact for the Aztec Student Union department regarding human resources and payroll questions and inquiries, including policies and processes
- Assists with the recruitment of part-time students and hiring process with A.S. departmental hiring supervisors to include job postings, application distribution, correspondence with applicants
- Assists with full-time job recruitment postings, including correspondence, documentation retention, creation of recruitment panel materials and interview scheduling
- Maintains confidential employee personnel records including HRIS
- Assists with the tracking of full-time staff end of introductory periods
- Assists with the tracking of full-time staff performance evaluations
- Assists with the data entry and tracking of 360 feedback process
- Supports the Human Resources Manager in the creation, implementation and administration of the HR Student Success Program including learning outcomes, online surveys, comparative statistical data, student training tracking and supervisor training
- Assists in the coordination of internship opportunities between A.S. departments and University departments
- Assists in the planning, coordination and execution of A.S. staff events such as A.S. Staff Awards, State of A.S., staff trainings, etc; including room reservations, vendor coordination and set-up
- Updates A.S. Professional Development & Employee Relations calendar annually and periodically as needed
- Performs other human resources related duties, responsibilities and projects as assigned
- Completes Aztec Student Union recruitment administration including email communication with applicants, interview room reservations, applicant tracking, etc.
- Completes Aztec Student Union onboarding administration including email communication with new hires, training coordination, completion of new hire documents, etc.
- Works with Aztec Student Union and/or Viejas Arena to reserve meeting rooms as needed
- Assists in booking travel and completing necessary travel forms as needed and when back up is needed
- Processes monthly Purchase Card (credit card) statements for Business Services staff as needed
- Utilizes Google Email and Calendar
- Creates reports/presentations utilizing Windows XP, Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint as required/needed
- Composes memorandums/letters as needed
- Creates/updates HR Assistant policies and procedures manual as needed
- Delivers documents to University departments as well as other A.S. departments
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Preferred candidate will be a returning student for at least one additional school year
- Two years of experience in general office/clerical work preferred
- Must complete Computer Security Awareness training within 30 days of hire
- Must be able to work with confidential items and understand the importance of confidentiality in project work
- Must be capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff and customers
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Must be able to work independently and on multiple projects at once
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Ability to gather and organize data, draw logical conclusions and discern implications
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time (20 hours/week), position with expected hours to be worked during business hours of Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time filing and have to do some lifting of supplies and materials from time to time, including banker boxes and files.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Human Resources Manager
- Works closely and collaborates with HR & Risk Manager and Risk Management Assistant
- Works closely with HR Team including Human Resources Director, Payroll & Benefits Manager, Payroll Supervisor and Payroll Assistant
- Works closely with Aztec Student Union staff
- Interacts with Office Supervisors/Payroll Liaisons
- Interacts with A.S. Management and Hiring Supervisors
EMPLOYMENT CATEGORY: Range II, Step I, $12.20 per hour
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Associated Students. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students employees who apply for the position.