Start Date: April 15, 2017
Under the immediate supervision of the Youth Programs and Events Supervisor, the Camp Administrator oversees all administrative duties for The Watersports Camp. This broad-based position includes but is not limited to: handling camp registrations and payments, collecting waivers and medical history forms, producing rolls cards, supervising camp check-in, distributing scholarships, assisting customers both in person and over the phone, troubleshooting online registration issues, processing scholarships and YMCA billings, processing refunds, and ensuring quality customer service practices are met by all staff.
- Reports to MBAC Youth Programs and Events Supervisor
- Performs all necessary administrative duties for The Watersports Camp
- Promotes camp programs at various offsite locations
- Assures that customer needs are addressed and met to the highest standards of customer service
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs camp office administrative functions
- Ensures camp registrations are being properly entered into the online registration system
- Collects payments in the form of credit card, cash, or check
- Processes refunds and transfers
- Processes scholarship applications and distributes appropriate funds
- Monitor scholarship database and track funds
- Produces weekly report on enrollments in all camps
- Produces weekly rolls cards and check-in/sign-out sheets
- Ensure every camper has a completed medical history and release waiver on file
- Monitor online registration system
- Assist customers and front office staff with any technical problems
- Ensure each camp has the appropriate number of campers enrolled, cancelling camps if necessary.
- Process scholarship and YMCA billings
- Takes all cash and check payments to YMCA each week
- Process billing of scholarship money on the 25th of each month
- Process billing for YMCA on the 25th of each month
- Prepares and supervises camp check-in
- Ensures Check area is set up and ready by 7:20am on the first day of camp
- Ensures check sheets are prepared and up to date
- Supervises check-in staff
- Works to resolve camper and parent check-in issues
- Processes new registrations and forms
- Processes cancellations and changes
- Enters data by promptly to produce roll cards
- Assists Camp Supervisor with day-to-day operations
- Ensures camp is set up and ready to go each morning
- Ensures proper camper medications are sent with appropriate groups
- Communicates to each department to ensure adequate staffing
- Answers calls and emails
- Oversees camper pick up/parking lot operations
- Places camp food orders and purchases supplies
- Fax pizza order on Monday of each week
- Make weekly trips to Smart & Final and Costco for supplies
- Ensures each visiting/observing parent or family member has a completed Special Event Waiver on file
- Serves as main point of contact for customers regarding administrative issues
- Serves as main point of contact for Office Assistants regarding camp administrative issues
- Ensures all staff are providing the best customer service
- Responds to customers in a timely fashion
- Responds to customer inquiries, complaints, and issues in a timely fashion
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- High School Diploma
- Bi-Lingual highly desirable
- Minimum 2 years in a customer service based administrative position.
- Experience communicating and resolving problems over the phone.
- Experience working with a hosted data management software.
- Experience and general skills with Microsoft Excel, Access and Word.
License & Certification Requirements
- Red Cross CPR & First Aid (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- NASBLA approved powerboat certification (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- Complete tasks and projects that require high level of skill and/or attention to detail
- Ability to multitask while working in a fast paced environment
- Capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff, customers, and vendors
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team player
- Ability to interact effectively with a wide diversity of people and support San Diego State University Associated Students’ values and mission
- Perform to the highest level of customer service at all times.
- Provide accurate information to customer inquiries. If unsure seek clarification.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have excellent organizational skills
- Must have knowledge of MBAC and The Watersports Camp programs
- Must be well organized and able to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions, and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure
- Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write, and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint), and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Must have ability to organize and track a high volume of forms, waivers and payments.
- Must be able to lead by example and serve as a teacher/mentor to staff within the department and at MBAC
- Bilingual speaker preferred. Spanish speaker highly desired.
- Ability to be assertive in the face of pressure.
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time seasonal position (April-September) requiring flexibility and willingness to work long hours.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work is generally performed within an office environment with standard office equipment. The work environment can be stressful during periods of high volume. This job will occasionally require driving. The work environment will involve exposure to salt water, cold water, sun, wind, rain, weather, sand, seaweed, sea grass, ocean currents, sea creatures, breaking waves, and other outdoor elements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical requirements include but are not limited to: swimming, swimming in rough and deep water, walking, running, walking or running over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying loads. Must be able to swim at least 550 yards, dive at least 10 feet deep, swim with a 10 pound object for at least 20 yards, and tread water for at least 2 minutes. Must be able to watch and supervise groups of students in the ocean and/or bay while coaching technique and supervising safety. Must be able to recognize and respond to emergencies and prevent injuries or drowning.
Part-Time, Seasonal – Pay Rate: $13.40 per hour