ASUB Programs Assistant
ASUB Programs Assistant Job Description
Under the direction of the Aztec Student Union Programs Coordinator, the Aztec Student Union Board Programming Assistant assists in the production and promotion of Associated Students’ and Aztec Student Union Board’s mission of uniting, enriching, and cultivating the Aztec experience at SDSU.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists with the preparation of ASUB programs and events by working closely with the respective ASUB Committee Chair(s) to implement and execute events.
- Attends and works various ASUB, A.S., and campus-wide events.
- Assists with planning and executing ASUB events including Homecoming, GreenFest, Aztec Nights, Open Mic Series, Cooking with Chefs, etc.
- Conducts research as assigned by the A.S. ASUB Staff and provides training to fellow Assistants, student leaders, and volunteers as needed.
- Plays a critical role in helping implement new and unique ASUB events, and initiatives within the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
- Makes reservations for A.S. and campus facilities, and confirms set-up arrangements.
- Computer knowledge using WORD, EXCEL, WINDOWS, as well as social media.
- Collaborates with event staff from Union Programs & Services and various departments across campus (such as Aztec Shops, Catering, SL&L, REO, etc.) to ensure the execution of successful events.
- Develops contracts and payment for guest artist, entertainment groups, and/or vendors.
- Works diligently with guest artists, vendors, and sponsors in preparation and on day of events and programs.
- Assists with event promotion and marketing.
- Works closely with the A.S. Graphics Department in the creation of fliers, website updates, digital signage, and other promotional items.
- Prepares correspondence, agendas, etc. as directed by ASUB Staff.
- Co-facilitates weekly ASUB Standing Committee Meetings and oversees the management of committee members.
- Answers telephone, emails, etc. on a daily basis and works under strict deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned by the A.S. ASUB Staff.
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be currently enrolled at San Diego State University, taking a minimum of 6 units
- Preferred candidate will be a returning student for at least one additional school year
- Previous experience in general office operations preferred
- Knowledge and background experience of planning and executing small and large scale events required
- Previous involvement and experience working with groups of people as a team preferred
- Must complete safety training within 30 days of hire
- Must have competence in social skills and cultural diversity
- Strong organizational skills required. Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Must be able to work independently and on multiple projects at once
- Must be able to work with confidential items and understand the importance of confidentiality in project work
- Must be able to exercise tact and exhibit sound professional judgment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to relate and communicate effectively with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, colleagues and guests
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position
- Ability to operate a computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs
- Well organized, ability to effectively multi-task, ability to prioritize work, problem solve, make decisions and meet scheduled deadlines under pressure
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time (20 hours/week), position with expected hours to be worked during business hours of Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Late night and weekend hours are common and work hours will be adjusted when needed. Must be available on Mondays, 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. for ASUB meetings. Must be available to work a minimum of 15 hours a week during summer.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking around campus. Work will require the set-up, execution, and break down of events. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying light loads.
This position requires the individual to spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers. This person will also spend time in event settings setting up event supplies, carrying heavy objects such as tables and marketing materials, and standing for long periods of time while executing these events.
Inside the Organization:
- Reports to the Aztec Student Union Programs Coordinator
- Works closely and collaborates with Associate Director of Marketing and Programs
- Interacts with Operations staff, Union Programs and Services staff, and Government Affairs Staff
Outside the Organization:
- Works closely with Student Life and Leadership staff representative who manages the E.A.S.
- Interacts with various campus department staff when collaborating on events.