Under the supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor, Maintenance Assistants perform building and equipment repairs and maintenance as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILTIES
- Maintenance Assistants are expected to accomplish a wide range of tasks including fiberglass repairs, facility maintenance, aquatic equipment repairs, preventative maintenance, sweeping, painting, washing, and moving of a large quantity of equipment
- Maintain maintenance records
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- Must be familiar with the use of basic hand and power tools
- Prior watersports equipment and/or mechanical maintenance experience is preferred
License & Certification Requirements
- Red Cross CPR and First Aid (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- NASBLA approved powerboat certification (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- Must possess a valid CA driver’s license
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to the MBAC and Associated Students Codes of Safe Practices
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
- Must be available to work year round
- Continually work toward improving technical skills
- Capable of maintaining positive working relationships with other staff, customers, and vendors
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team player
- Able to interact effectively with a wide diversity of people and support San Diego State University Associated Students’ values and mission
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Must have good critical thinking skills, a willingness to help others, and a strong desire to learn a wide variety of skills
- Must be experienced in the use of basic hand and power tools
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Technical knowledge of watersports equipment
SCHEDULE & WORKING CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position. Flexibility and willingness to work long hours including weekends with high demand during summer.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment will involve exposure to water, salt water, dust, grease, sand, sun, wind, rain, weather, seaweed, sea grass, hazardous chemicals, and other industrial hazards.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying loads, and working in narrow or tight spaces.
Part-Time, Range 2, Step 1 - Starting Rate: $12.20 per hour