Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, October 20, 2021 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers, Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. Vice President of University Affairs, Jennifer Schenkenfelder, called the meeting to order at 3:33 p.m.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Ashley Tejada, Karina Esteban, Shawki Moore, Austin Barber, Beth Bridges, Alexia Oduro, Tara Collins, Noemi Portillo, Marissa Hague, Justin Strauss, Kendall Berger, Michelle Cai, Ian Jackson-Little, Kaelan Ganzon, Leanne Locano, Alondra Hernandez, Kayla Vale Cruz, Alexander Inglis, Kate Vinegas, Meena Alexander, Angelo Gozon
- Voting Members Absent: Kailey Quezada, Margot Ermer, Cassie Ira
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Janice Dils, Rachel Perez, Christine Molina, Nola Butler-Byrd, Randy Timm
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Guests: Tito Hernandez, Matyas Hanna, Michelle Lopez, Joanna Brooks
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for the October 20 meeting.
BRIDGES/PORTILLO CARRIED (21-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of October 6, 2021.
GOZON/COLLINS CARRIED (21-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT - None.
VI. PRESENTATIONS AND UNIVERSITY REPORTS
- University Senate Designee: No report.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs and Campus Diversity Designee, Christine Molina: Friday, October 22, 2021, is the deadline to apply for the Student Success Fee proposals.
- Advising Presentation - Dr. Joanna Brooks, Associate Vice President for Faculty Advancement and Student Success, Dr. Randy Timm, Dean of Students, Michelle Lopez, Faculty Advancement and Student Success, and Christine Molina, Assistant Dean of Students for Co-Curricular Programs & Student Support (Time Certain 4:15 p.m.): Dr. Joanna Brooks, Dr. Randy Timm, Michelle Lopez and Christine Molina presented on the Coordinated Care Advising program, including SDSU Navigate (EAB) and how to use the online tool.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, which includes the External Relations Board and Graduate Student Association meeting minutes.
BERGER/STRAUSS CARRIED (21-0-0)
- General Consent Report (Information):
The General Consent Report was reviewed.
VIII. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS – None.
IX. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Vice President of University Affairs: Friday, October 22, 2021, is the deadline to submit proposals for the Student Success Fee. Discussed class scheduling information. A.S. College Council retreat will be on November 14, 2021, from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Having one-on-one meetings with the UC representatives. Shared a Your Voice Matters submission regarding Saturday exams.
- Ashley Tejada, President: Mission Valley campus look-around and tour. The 125th Anniversary of SDSU will be next year and the event planning is starting. Ashley and Karina would be traveling to Washington, D.C., to accept the Seal of Excelencia, a designation for SDSU as a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI). Met with California State University Dominguez Hills to discuss recreational facilities. Provided updates on the President's Budget Advisory Committee, Strategic Plan Activity Numbers 8 and 13, and Campus Fee Advisory Committee (CFAC).
- Karina Esteban, Executive Vice President: The Homecoming Royal applications close on 11/18 at 12 p.m. There will be a Homecoming Royal Court announcement next week.
- Shawki Moore, Vice President of External Relations: ‘Rock the Vote’ promotion items available, leadership team is working on promoting voting resources to students. Instagram AS “Monthly Minute” is in the works, and will debut on November 1, 2021.
- Austin Barber, Vice President of Financial Affairs: Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) food drive is from 10/22-11/14. Had an ARH partner meeting and it went well. ARH swag (t-shirts) available. ARH is on Instagram. The ARH Kick Off event is on 10/25 at 9:00 a.m.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: No report.
- Beth Bridges, ASBOD Student-At-Large: ‘Active Minds’ will be tabling in Hepner Hall on Oct. 21. Candlelight vigil on the same day. Food pantry training for volunteers on Nov. 4 and Dec. 2, at 4 p.m.
- Alexia Oduro, ASBOD Student-At-Large: No report.
- College of Arts and Letters (CAL) Council: We have a new UC representative, Sean Stouffer.
- Fowler College of Business Council: Will be having a social on 10/27 in Templo Mayor from 12-2 p.m.. Accepting applications for a 4th college representative. The Fowler of College of Business Interim Dean presented at the last CBC meeting.
- College of Education Student Council: Planning an RSO Fair with PSFA, on Nov. 19.
- College of Engineering Student Council: ‘Pumpkin Drop’ on October 26, 2021, 12-3 p.m.. Grad student research event coming up.
- College of Health and Human Services Student Council: We will have a transfer student event and will provide pizza from Oggi’s.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts (PSFA) Student Council: We have a general body meeting. We have a wew VP of academic affairs. Working on a SSF proposal.
- College of Sciences Student Council (CSSC): Working on getting lab coats to provide for students. Working on targeted marketing. Had a great town hall today.
- Graduate Student Association (GSA): No report.
- Undeclared College Council (UCC): SSF working on a letter. Spring registration workshop will be held in the Visionary Suite.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:44 p.m. PT.
BERGER/STRAUSS CARRIED (21-0-0)