Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, September 8, 2021 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers, Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. Vice President of University Affairs, Jennifer Schenkenfelder, called the meeting to order at 3:32 p.m. PT.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Ashley Tejada, Karina Esteban, Shawki Moore, Austin Barber, Beth Bridges, Margot Ermer, Alexia Oduro, Tara Collins, Noemi Portillo, Marissa Hague, Justin Strauss, Kendall Berger, Michelle Cai, Ian Jackson-Little, Kaelan Ganzon, Leanne Locano, Alondra Hernandez, Kayla Vale Cruz, Kate Vinegas, Meena Alexander, Alexander Inglis
- Voting Members Absent: Kailey Quezada, Cassie Ira
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Janice Dils, Christine Molina
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Dr. Nola Butler-Byrd, Dean Randy Timm
- Guests: David Gamble, Tito Hernandez, Michelle Castelon
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for the September 8 meeting.
ERMER/HERNANDEZ CARRIED (21-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES - None.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT - None.
VI. PRESENTATIONS AND UNIVERSITY REPORTS
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Nola Butler-Byrd: No report.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Christine Molina: Christine reported on the following:
- Provided an update regarding academic advisors and the Campus Assistance, Response, Engagement & Support (CARES) Team and about SDSU Navigate (EAB) and how students have access to ‘navigate’ their way through college starting with registration, meeting with advisors, scheduling classes, applying for financial aid and other tasks leading to graduation.
- Community Standards and Reconciliation Presentation - Dr. Aniesha Mitchell, Senior Associate Vice President, Student Affairs and Campus Diversity (Time Certain 4:30 p.m.): Dr. Aniesha Mitchell presented on Community Standards and Restorative Justice as part of the SDSU Student Rights and Responsibilities in the Division of Student Affairs and Campus Diversity.
- University Senate Committee Presentation - Kole Wellenstein, A.S. Shared Governance Assistant (Time Certain 4:30 p.m.): Kole Wellenstein presented on the University Senate Committees and expectations of the University Council members to participate in the Senate Committees.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- Introduction and Welcome from Jennifer Schenkenfelder: Jennifer welcomed the UC members.
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- General Consent Report (Information): None.
- Selection of A.S. University Council Members for ASJAC Ad-Hoc Vacancy Committee (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve Leanne Locano as the primary and Alondra Hernandez for the ASJAC Ad-Hoc Vacancy Committee.
PORTILLO/JACKSON-LITTLE CARRIED (21-0-0)
VIII. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS – None.
IX. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Vice President of University Affairs: Provided an overview of her role as Vice President of University Affairs. Working on Your Voice Matters push week, meeting with College Council Presidents, Provost Ochoa and the Associate Vice President of Faculty Advancement and Student Success. Provided an update on the University Affairs Board and the UC delegates, Meena and Noemi.
- Ashley Tejada, President: Provided an overview of her role as President, provided an update on summer projects, and current projects to include graduate student insurance, First-Year Leadership Experience (FLEX) interviews, and meetings with administrators.
- Karina Esteban, Executive Vice President: Provided an overview of her role as Executive Vice President. Working on Homecoming, A.S. Expo, collaboration with SDSU Athletics, outreach to the cultural centers with Shawki Moore.
- Shawki Moore, Vice President of External Relations: Provided an overview of his role as Vice President of External Relations and provided an update regarding California State Student Association (CSSA) Plenary, External Relations Board/Lobby Corps, the Gubernatorial Recall Election poll site at the Viejas Arena, and social media/A.S. website updates.
- Austin Barber, Vice President of Financial Affairs: Provided an overview of his role as Vice President of Financial Affairs and provided an update on the A.S. Financial Affairs Committee, College Council funding, Aztecs Rock Hunger, Global Education scholarships and University meetings.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: Provided an update on the vacancies on A.S. Judicial Affairs Council, A.S. Campus Life Council commissioners, and A.S. University Council college representatives.
- Beth Bridges, ASBOD Student-At-Large: Supporting the College of Sciences and College of Health and Human Services.
- Alexia Oduro, ASBOD Student-At-Large: Supporting the College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts, College of Arts and Letters, and Undeclared College.
- Margot Ermer, ASBOD Student-At-Large: Supporting the Colleges of Business, Engineering and Education.
- College of Arts and Letters: Currently looking to fill the CAL Council Executive Board. Working on connecting the CAL recognized student organizations (RSO) with providing them resources.
- College of Business: Had the first CBC meeting last week. We will have a Business Organization Expo on 9/15 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Montezuma Hall. Working on an RSO recruiting process.
- College of Education: Looking for a second representative for the Education seat on the University Council.
- College of Engineering: Currently looking for the second Engineering seat on the University Council. Working on Coffee with the Dean, RSO spotlights, and are currently tabling by the bookstore.
- College of Health and Human Services: The Heart/Stroke walk is next week.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts: We have an All Council meeting tomorrow and are currently looking for two more PSFA representatives on the University Council along with executive board members.
- College of Sciences: Working on the student-at-large members on the executive board, working to promote how Sciences students can be more involved in the college and creating committees at the CSSC meeting today.
- Graduate Student Association: No report.
- Undeclared College: UCC has four positions open on the executive board and applications are due on 9/27.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:31 p.m. PT.
PORTILLO/BERGER CARRIED (21-0-0)