Meeting Minutes
Associated Students | San Diego State University


Wednesday, November 6, 2019 - 3:30pm
COUNCIL CHAMBERS • CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION

I. CALL TO ORDER

Vice President of University Affairs, George Scott, called the meeting to order at 3:32 PM.  

II. ROLL CALL

  1. Voting Members Present: Christian Onwuka, George Scott, Kyla Blaylock, Angie Espinoza, Dustin Adkins, Lee Abed, Sophie Chance, Jacob Tuchband, Fnu Mumtaz, Aidan Winter, Christie Keller (left early), Jon Soden (left early), Joe Besagno, Sean Toohey, Chloe Foreman, Josh Olson, Matthew Blake, Aaron Eppstein, Jayden Mattson, Jagger Gin, Reece Breuckman, Daisy Kent, Brianne Crowther, JR Lauron, Maricruz Carrillo, Crystal Sanchez.
  2. Voting Members Absent: Stephanie Estrada, Sara Jimenez, Vicky Evans, Christine Gotthardt, Jacob Downey, Bella Martelino.
  3. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Dr. Andrea Dooley, Dr. Nola Butler-Byrd (late), Nikki Eliaschev.
  4. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None. 
  5. Visitors Present: Noah Siegel (College Council President, College of Sciences).

III. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA

It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
ESPINOZA/WINTER                                                                                                          CARRIED

IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
BLAYLOCK/KELLER                                                                                                       CARRIED

V. PUBLIC COMMENT

None. 

VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS

  1. University Senate Designee, Dr. Nola Butler-Byrd: 
    1. Motion to add a graduate student seat to the University Senate was approved. 
    2. Ethnic Studies resolution passed in the Senate, which is a significant addition to the curriculum. Plan to add this requirement to next year’s catalog. 
  2. University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Andrea Dooley: 
    1. Asked members to attend an Open Forum if they were unable to attend the one at the All -Council Training last Wednesday. 
    2. Creating more opportunities for feedback by offering students the ability to watch a recorded version of the Open Forum at Testing Services. 
    3. An updated set of FAQs about the forum are on the website.

VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION

  1. General Consent Agenda (Action): 
    It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda.
    ABED/BLAYLOCK                                                                                                   CARRIED
  2. General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached. 
  3. Selection of UC Representative on the Appointments and Review Committee (Action):
    It was moved and seconded to approve Jacob, Chloe, and Joe to be nominated to serve on the Appointments and Review Committee.
    ESPINOZA/BLAYLOCK                                                                                          CARRIED

VIII. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS

None.

IX. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS

  1. George Scott, Vice President of University Affairs:
    1. The deadline for the 2019-2020 AS Academic Report will be the spring add/drop deadline.
    2. The Academic Affairs Committee (AAC) will be in charge of composing the 2019-2020 A.S. Academic Report and the University Affairs Board (UAB) will be in charge of establishing the procedures.
    3. Speaking at the opening ceremony of the International Peace Village on November 18th. 
    4. Reminded everyone that Veterans Day is on Monday. 
    5. Asked members to turn in their study abroad applications. 
  2. Christian Onwuka, President:
    1. Reminded members that they need to complete their study abroad packets because students rely on these scholarships to be able to study abroad. 
    2. Explained the five priorities for the Strategic Plan, which are: Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Students at Our Center, Premier Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and R1, Sustainability and Innovation, and Campus Alignment. 
    3. Last day to provide feedback at an Open Forum is next Friday, November 15th.
    4. Student Conversations with the President went well.
    5. Serving on the Student Success Fee (SSF) ARP Level 3 Review. Reviewed many proposals and is happy that students are aware of this resource. 
    6. Speaking at the University Staff Awards and University Leaders Reception for Homecoming. 
    7. There is a City Council meeting on November 18th at 2:00 pm. Will hopefully be finalizing Mission Valley.
  3. Kyla Blaylock, Executive Vice President:
    1. Excited that it’s homecoming week! 
    2. Homecoming Pep Rally is Thursday at the SDSU Farmers Market from 10:00 am – 3:00 pm. Will be giving out promotional items.
    3. War Memorial on Friday from 9:30-11:30 am to honor SDSU students who lost their lives in combat.
    4. National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) yard show is Friday night. 
    5. Fun Run is Saturday morning from 8:00-11:00 am and will start in the Student Union. Everyone is welcome to participate, there is no age limit.
    6. Homecoming football game against Nevada is Saturday at 8:00 pm. Will be taking over the university Instagram page during the game.
    7. Encouraged members to stop by the A.S. press box to meet with past A.S. leaders and alumni.
    8. The first Diversity Institute for the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Plan was two Fridays ago. The A.S. Inclusion Statement and campus climate were discussed. 
    9. Serving on the Mission Valley Steering Committee. Asked students to bring concerns about Mission Valley to her.
    10. Met with student leaders from UCSD and USD. Hoping to meet again in the future and collaborate on events.
    11. Encouraged everyone to attend the Woodstock’s pizza fundraiser tonight and tomorrow for ARH.
    12. Asked members to reach out to her if they are interested in participating in the HSI Conference.
  4. Angie Espinoza, Vice President of External Relations: 
    1. Shouted-out Jacob for helping with the mayoral forum.
    2. Appreciates the outreach for the CSU say it right campaign. 
    3. Rock the Vote (RTV) is hosting a Presidential Debate Watch Party on November 20th from 4:30-7:30 pm in the Student Lounge. 
    4. Working on the Good Neighbor Brochure. 
    5. Wished everyone a Happy Native American Heritage Month. Will be highlighting certain programs and student leaders from the community this month.
    6. Serving on the Student Analytic Success Cohort that is conducting research on equity gaps in graduation rates in the CSU’s and will propose solutions.
    7. Discussed the fourth year quantitative reasoning requirement with Trustee Kimball. 
    8. CSSA Northridge is this upcoming weekend.
    9. Partnering the with the San Diego District Attorney’s Office to speak about sexual assault prevention. 
  5. Dustin Adkins, Vice President of Financial Affairs: 
    1. Asked members to attend the Woodstock’s Pizza fundraiser for Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) tonight after the meeting. 
    2. Partnering with Aztec Proud tomorrow. ARH hats will be available for $10. 
    3. ARH will be at the football game from 6:00 - 8:00 pm.
    4. ARH ends on Sunday. Reminded members why raising and donating money to ARH is so important and explained how it funds programs like the A.S. Food Pantry and Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT).
    5. More updates on Parking Services soon.
  6. Christina Brown, Executive Director: 
    1. Encouraged students to come by the Press Suite during the homecoming game to meet alumni.
    2. Participating in the emergency operation center drill tomorrow as part of a university-wide preparation system for addressing major catastrophes or issues.
    3. Updating the facility emergency plants for A.S.
    4. A.S. staff awards lunch was today. Eleven staff members were celebrated, including herself.
    5. Working with Green Love and administrators on campus to draft updated campus principles on sustainability for the Mission Valley Campus and the main SDSU campus. President Adela de la Torre is making sure that efforts are being followed through after the climate strike on campus.
  7. Stephanie Estrada, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
    1. No report. 
  8.  Lee Abed, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
    1. Had the ride-along with SDSU Police Department’s Corporal Peterson and discussed solutions, which are to contact Councilmember Gomez directly or to report broken lights on the ‘Get It Done’ app.
    2. Several street lights have been fixed.
    3. Encouraged members to continue to reach out to him they see any broken street lights. 
  9. Sophie Chance, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
    1. Looking into the College of Sciences “research vs teaching” issue that students have been expressing concern about. 
    2. Reaching out to teachers to see if they will offer extra credit opportunities to students who attend an Open Forum.
    3. Shouted-out PSFA for their Donuts with the Dean event. Heard great feedback from it. 
    4. Happy that many colleges are having events with their deans. 
  10. College of Arts and Letters: 
    1. Looking for a new VP of publicity.
    2. Working on a ‘Coffee with the Interim Dean’ event before the end of the semester.
    3. Promoting A.S. in different classes.
  11. College of Business:
    1. The Toy Drive will begin right after ARH ends. 
    2. Reminded members that Financial Literacy Workshops put on by the College of Business are open to everyone.
    3. College of Business mixer is on Monday, November 18th at 6:00 pm in Scripps College.
  12. College of Education:
    1. First Lunch of the Lawn event in collaboration with the Liberal Studies office went well. 
  13. College of Engineering:
    1. The Pumpkin Drop competition is canceled. Working on a Watermelon Drop event to take place in the spring. 
    2. Discussed possible courses for next year’s winter session. 
    3. Coffee with the Dean is November 19th and is open to all engineering students.
  14. College of Health and Human Services:
    1. Planning an ice skating social event soon. Proceeds will go to Rady Children’s Hospital for cancer research. 
    2. Encouraged members to attend the ARH fundraiser at Woodstock’s Pizza tomorrow.
    3. Made amends to the bylaws. 
  15. College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts: 
    1. The Donuts with the Dean event was awesome. 
    2. Made amendments to the bylaws. 
    3. Lend a Hand begins November 12th and ends on November 20th. Will be tabling and placing bins in different locations for clothing donations.
    4. Intuitive Eating presentation by Tyler Rolling will be on November 13th from 1:00 -2:00 pm in AH 2112. Everyone is invited to attend.
  16. College of Sciences:
    1. Associate Dean Atkins attended a meeting and there was very active conversation about problems with labs and impacted classes. Students were able to voice their concerns.
    2. Dean Roberts will be attending the meeting next week to these continue conversations. 
  17. Graduate Student Association: 
    1. There is a Friendsgiving event at the end of this month.
    2. Excited to attend the tailgate on Saturday as a college council.
    3. Planning a Donuts with the Graduate Student Dean event. 
    4. A seat for a doctoral student will be added to the Graduate Student Council. Happy to be able to represent both masters and PhD students.
  18. Undeclared College: George reported on their behalf:
    1. Continuing outreach work.
  19. Imperial Valley Campus:
    1. No report. 

X. ANNOUNCEMENTS

Dustin reminded everyone to donate to ARH to receive coupons for Woodstock’s Pizza.

 XI. ADJOURNMENT

It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
TUCHBAND/TOOHEY                                                                                                        CARRIED

Vice President of University Affairs, George Scott, adjourned the meeting at 5:06 pm.

APPROVED BY: George Scott, Executive Vice President 

PREPARED BY: Nikki Eliaschev, A.S. Government Secretary