Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, April 17, 2019 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Ronnie Cravens called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Ronnie Cravens, Chris Thomas (left early), Nickolas Wohlman (left early), Michael Wiafe, Christian Onwuka, Warsan Artan, Tomi Osinfolarin, Jacob Mahony (left early), Matthew Blutinger, Noah Siegal, Sophie Chance, Ezra Delbick (late), Vicky Evans (late), Winston Liew, Brandon Khamenian, Alison Powell, Meegan Togatorop, Crystal Sanchez, Saba Abri, Dalton Daggs (late), Meagan Harms, Hannah Berman-Schneider, Trent Wann, Jon Soden, Maggie Stack.
- Voting Members Absent: Kemahni Booze, Stephanie Estrada, Chloe Bycoskie, Chloe Foreman, Latrel Powell, Cedric Hoskins.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Dr. Andrea Dooley (late), Aileen Wei, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski.
- Visitors Present: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Noah Winne, Dustin Adkins, Nikki Eliaschev, Sean Harze, Maureen Guarcello, Chloe Sension, Darin Johnson, Melissa James, Mario Newhouse, Angelina Galvan, Paul Melchior.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
- Sean Harze and Maureen Guarcello presented on the Fall 2019 pilot program of the Canvas LMS. They gave a breakdown of the canvas pilot program results of their focus groups.
- Darin Johnson, from the Agape House, spoke on the Swipe Out Hunger Resolution as a way to support students.
- Chloe Sension, Engagement Coordinator at Agape House, spoke on her concerns of the amendments made to the Swipe Out Hunger Resolution.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski: No report.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Andrea Dooley:
- Reminded members to get the second dose of the Meningitis B Vaccinations. There are clinics in Student Health Services today from 2-7 pm and tomorrow from 9am-12 pm. There will be in walk-in clinics from 2-4 pm in Student Health Services until the end of the semester.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a printed copy of the General Consent Report copy from the Government Secretary.
- Selection of UC Representatives to the Appointment and Review Committee (Action):
It was moved and seconded to open nominations for Selection of UC Representatives to the Appointment and Review Committee.
Meegan Togatorop, Crystal Sanchez, Dalton Daggs, Noah Siegal, Saba Abri, Matthew Blutinger, Jon Soden, and Kemahni Booze were nominated.
It was moved and seconded to close nominations for Selection of CLC Representatives to the Appointment and Review Committee.
All eight nominees were approved and will be selected according to their time availability.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
- #UCB S19-01 A Resolution on Further Commitment to Fighting Food Insecurity and Establishing a Swipe Out Hunger Program at SDSU (Information, 2nd Reading) (Time Certain 4:15 pm): Dustin Adkins and Noah Winne, Student Support Commissioner and Representative, explained the resolution on fighting food insecurity. The presented on the current efforts to fight food insecurity through the establishment of a meal plan donations in the spring semester through the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) and how the amended resolution can help enhance current efforts made at SDSU.
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University Affairs:
- “Clash of the Colleges” will take place on May 3 from 11:30 am-2 pm in the Tula Community Center.
- Thank you to all those who attended the “Your Voice Matters” campaign event during Mental Health Week.
- Encouraged members to help promote summer enrollment.
- Chris Thomas, President: None.
- Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President: None.
- Michael Wiafe, Vice President of External Relations:
- Attended the California State Student Association (CSSA) at CSULA last weekend. He gave an update on the events that occurred at CSULA. CSULA has reached impaction. He discussed the issue of impaction and its effect on the CSU system.
- A Lobby Corps chair will be elected on Monday at 10 am.
- Over 450 letters were signed in support of AB930.
- He is running for the President of the California State Student Association.
- Christian Onwuka, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Will speak at the rally in support of the Black Resource Center tomorrow at 12:30 pm in front of Hepner Hall.
- Will continue to meet with college councils to discuss funding.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: None.
- Tomi Osinfolarin, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Encouraged members to attend the Mental Health Week events.
- Latrel Powell, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Warsan Artan, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Discussed the incident at the Black Resource Center (BRC). They will be making signs at the BRC at 10 am. The rally will take place in front of Hepner Hall at 12 pm.
- College of Arts and Letters:
- Congratulations to Hannah Berman-Schneider, the new A.S. College of Arts and Letters Representative!
- Will host a CAL Gala in the next few weeks.
- College of Business:
- Business Achievement Awards was last week.
- Congratulations to Jacob Mahony as the new College of Business Council President!
- College of Education:
- Congratulations to Sara Jimenez and Chloe Foreman, next year’s A.S. College of Education Representatives.
- There will be a Padre Game fundraiser on Friday, April 19.
- College of Engineering:
- Congratulations to Dr. Olevsky, the new Dean of Engineering!
- The Ping Pong Tournament was a success.
- College of Health and Human Services:
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- Elected a new executive board.
- The “Lend a Hand” campaign is happening now.
- College of Sciences:
- Executive board elections will take place next week.
- Graduate Student Association:
- Coffee with GSA Leaders will take place on May 3 from 11 am – 1 pm in the GSA office.
- Undeclared College:
- Please complete the SDSU Sexual Violence Campus Climate Survey.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
A. POWELL/ARTAN CARRIED
Vice President of University Affairs Ronnie Cravens adjourned the meeting at 4:55 pm.
APPROVED BY: Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary