Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, November 7, 2018 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Ronnie Cravens called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Michael Wiafe, Christian Onwuka, Ronnie Cravens, Latrel Powell, Warsan Artan, Tomi Osinfolarin, Jada Johnson, Stephanie Estrada, Jacob Mahony, Matthew Blutinger, Sophie Chance, Winston Liew, Brandon Khamenian, Cedric Hoskins, Chloe Bycoskie, Meegan Togatorop, Vicky Evans, Crystal Sanchez (left early), Ezra Delbick, Kemahni Booze, Saba Abri, Dalton Daggs, Jon Soden, Meagan Harms, Noah Siegal (left early), Trent Wann, Maricruz Carrillo (left early).
- Voting Members Absent: Alison Powell, Justin Venckus, Julia Karczewski.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Dr. Andrea Dooley, Aileen Wei, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski.
- Visitors Present: Stephanie Galia, Sarah Feteliah, Kaitlyn Little.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski: No report.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Andrea Dooley:
- Congratulations to Eric Rivera on his retirement.
- Gave an update on the organizational changes in Student Affairs.
- There will be Vice President search after the Provost search.
- Reminded students of the importance of receiving the Meningitis B vaccination. The after hours clinic is open Monday to Thursday until 4:30 pm in Medicine East of Student Health Services to administer the second dose.
- Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week (Time Certain 3:45 PM):
- Stephanie Galia and Sarah Feteliah informed members of the events during the Hugner and Homelessness Awareness week.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a printed copy of the General Consent Report copy from the Government Secretary.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Met with Dean McCarthy and gave an update on the library.
- Gave an update on his meeting with Dean Hooker.
- University Affairs Board has finalized their working groups.
- Attend University Senate. Parking Services will form a shared governance committee to discuss parking for freshmen.
- Winter session will take place January 2-19. Seventeen courses are available.
- Chris Thomas, President:
- The SDSU Mission Valley West has passed! There will be plans to move forward.
- Gave an update on the changes within the University.
- Christine Hutchins will be leaving SDSU to join SJSU.
- Marketing and Communications has been changed to Strategic Relations and Public Relations
- Congratulations to Vice President Mary Ruth Carleton on her retirement!
- Board of Directors approved the $200,000 for the Aztec Education Healing Garden.
- Will approve the final round of Student Success Fees this Friday.
- Tommy Spaulding will be coming to campus on November 14. There will be a keynote at 3-4 pm and an All-Council Training from 5-8 pm.
- Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President:
- Mental Health Week will be February 11-15.
- Will work with Greenlove on the Climate Action Plan.
- Congratulations to Emma Wenger on being accepted into the Disney College Profram! Aztec Student Union Board (ASUB) will look for an ASUB Representative.
- Excited for GreenFest!
- Aztec Achievement Awards (AAA) will meet after Thanksgiving break!
- Michael Wiafe, Vice President of External Relations:
- “Rock the Vote” is over. Grateful for student involvement and support.
- External Relations Board will discuss elections and propositions.
- Discussed the elections.
- Gave an update on his submission of a legislative proposal to register CSU Students to vote.
- Discussed the Graduation Initiative 2025 with Dr. Schultz to increase the graduation rate.
- Christian Onwuka, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Will continue to review rebudgets.
- Encouraged members to remind students to apply to Campus Program Funding (CPF) for on-campus events.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- The Annual Giving Thanks dinner will take place tomorrow from 5-7 pm.
- Ofo bikes are no long available in the US.
- Participated in a simulated disaster on November 1. The Viejas Arena will be a safe shelter for the SDSU community.
- Congratulations to long-term A.S. staff and to Glen Brandenburg for 45 years!
- Tomi Osinfolarin, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Attended the second Mental Health Week today.
- Will reach out to the colleges he oversees.
- Latrel Powell, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Will attend the CSSA plenary at San Luis Obispo.
- Extended himself as a resource to colleges.
- Warsan Artan, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Met with the College of Undeclared and Graduate Student Association representatives.
- “Rock the Vote” is finished and was a success.
- Gave an update on the ARC Referendum. Attended taskforce meetings and discussions about women only rooms. There will be a meeting on November 15 from 2-4 pm.
- College of Arts and Letters: None.
- College of Business:
- The Fowler College of Business event will take place November 15 from 5-7 pm.
- College of Education:
- Will continue to wait for a response from Michelle Obama’s team to plan their Spring event.
- College of Engineering:
- Engineering week will be the third week of February.
- College of Health and Human Services: None.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- The “Lend a Hand” campaign will take place from November 12- December 7.
- College of Sciences:
- There will be an outreach event on November 15 with Active Minds.
- Gave an update on their A.S. newsletter.
- “How to Get Involved with Research” will take place on November 15 from 10 am – 12 pm in Templo Mayor.
- Graduate Student Association:
- Will hold a panel for undergraduates.
- Undeclared College:
- Will plan a panel event with students from various colleges on Tuesday, January 29 from 4-5:30 at Scripps Cottage.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Ronnie Cravens adjourned the meeting at 5:25 pm.
APPROVED BY: Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary