Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, October 24, 2018 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Ronnie Cravens called the meeting to order at 4:52 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Michael Wiafe (left early), Christian Onwuka, Ronnie Cravens, Latrel Powell (late), Warsan Artan, Jada Johnson, Stephanie Estrada, Alison Powell, Jacob Mahony, Matthew Blutinger, Sophie Chance, Winston Liew, Brandon Khamenian (left early), Cedric Hoskins, Chloe Bycoskie, Meegan Togatorop, Vicky Evans, Crystal Sanchez, Ezra Delbick, Kemahni Booze, Saba Abri, Dalton Daggs (left early), Jon Soden, Meagan Harms, Noah Siegal, Maricruz Carrillo.
- Voting Members Absent: Tomi Osinfolarin, Trent Wann, Justin Venckus, Julia Karczewski.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Dr. Andrea Dooley, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski, Aileen Wei, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Christina Rodgriuez (Graduate Student Association), Dr. Marcie Bober-Michel, Dr. Bey-Ling Sha, Dr. Norah Shultz, Sofia Bert, Todd Marcus.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
There was a friendly amendment to add a Time Certain at 5:55 pm to adjourn. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski: No report.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Andrea Dooley:
- Student Affairs will reduce roadblocks to create a pathway for students to graduate on time.
- Presentation regarding EO 1100 – Drs. Marcie Bober-Michel, Bey-Ling Sha and Norah Shultz (Time Certain 4:40 PM):
- The Senate meeting takes place the first Tuesday of the Month and are not open meetings. They discussed the process to speak at a Senate meeting. The Senate votes on curriculum related decisions.
- Provided a comparison of the General Education courses at other California State Universities. SDSU will have an additional Area E. Lifelong Learning next year as part of the General Education courses.
- Explained Executive Order 1100 and how it affects ethnic studies courses offered at SDSU.
- Discussed the Graduate 2025 Initiative.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): Postponed to next meeting.
- General Consent Report (Information): Postponed to next meeting.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Proud of the College of Engineering!
- Will begin the Your Voice Matters campaign soon.
- Chris Thomas, President:
- Reminded members to review the A.S. Study Abroad applications and return them to the A.S. Front Desk by November 7.
- Spring Registration will begin in November.
- The Presidential Advisory Committee will take place this Friday.
- Author Tommy Spalding will be the keynote speaker at the meeting on November 15 from 5-8 pm.
- Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President:
- Homecoming was a success!
- Discussed athletics meetings.
- Mental Health Week will meet next week.
- A.S. Barbeque Boards, Councils, and Commissions Mixer will take place next Thursday from 5-7 pm on the third floor Terrace.
- Michael Wiafe, Vice President of External Relations:
- Gave an update on External Relations Board and LobbyCorps.
- Gave an update on the “Rock the Vote” campaign.
- Will attend the California State Student Association (CSSA), at San Luis Obispo this weekend.
- Christian Onwuka, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Encouraged members to attend the Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) announcement event on November 15.
- Grateful for those who participated in ARH!
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: None.
- Tomi Osinfolarin, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Latrel Powell, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Warsan Artan, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Encouraged members to attend the Rock the Vote event from 5:30-7:30 pm in the Theatre.
- College of Arts and Letters: None.
- College of Business: None.
- College of Education: None.
- College of Engineering:
- Attended the National Association Engineering Student Council. The College of Engineering will add four committees and a Leadership in Freshmen Engineering (LIFE) Program.
- Pumpkin Drop on Monday was a success.
- College of Health and Human Services:
- Breast Cancer Awareness walk was a success!
- Encouraged members to get the Flu shot next Wednesday in the Union from 10 am – 2pm.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- The “Lend a Hand” campaign will take place from November 5-30.
- College of Sciences:
- The newsletter was recently sent out.
- The council is trained to volunteer at the Food Pantry.
- Graduate Student Association:
- The social mixer was a success.
- Hosted a study session.
- Discussed the possibility of hosting general body meetings once a month.
- Elections Results social will take place November 6.
- There will be a job interview prep event on November 8 at 5 pm.
- Undeclared College:
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Ronnie Cravens adjourned the meeting at 5:51 pm.
APPROVED BY: Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary