Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Ronnie Cravens called the meeting to order at 4:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Michael Wiafe, Christian Onwuka, Ronnie Cravens, Tomi Osinfolarin (left early), Warsan Artan, Latrel Powell, Chloe Bycoskie, Jada Johnson, Stephanie Estrada, Alison Powell, Trent Wann, Justin Venckus (left early), Jacob Mahony, Matthew Blutinger, Sophie Chance, Winston Liew, Brandon Khamenian, Cedric Hoskins, Noah Siegal (left early), Meegan Togatorop, Vicky Evans, Crystal Sanchez (left early), Ezra Delbick, Kemahni Booze, Saba Abri, Dalton Daggs, Meagan Harms, Jon Soden.
- Voting Members Absent: Julia Karczewski, Maricruz Carrillo.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Cezar Ornatowski, Aileen Wei, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker (for Christina Brown).
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Andrea Dooley.
- Visitors Present: Mackenzie Miller, Gina Jacobs, Olivia Dawson, Alma Valencia, Ameena Badasudeen, Linda Poovewy Xavier.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
- Nicolai Mindolaw introduced the Friends of SDSU West Initiative and asked members to join his leadership team.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski:
- Will represent in the Statewide University Senate.
- Chancellor White will conduct conversations with the Cal State Student Association (CSSA) about the possible tuition increase next year.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Andrea Dooley: No report.
- Senate Committees Presentation
- Ronnie Cravens and Anya Shutovska educated members on business etiquette for Senate meetings.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a printed copy of the General Consent Report copy from the Government Secretary.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Working with Anya to fill the University Senate committees.
- Working on Live Your Heartprint and Your Voice Matters collaboration.
- There are two positions open on University Affairs Board as a SDSU library Liaison.
- The first University Affairs Board meeting will be next Tuesday, September 18 at 1 pm in the State Suite.
- The Academic Affair Council Meeting will be on September 28 from 9-10 am.
- The next University Council meeting will be on Wednesday, September 26 at 4:30.
- Chris Thomas, President:
- The Field Expansion Project will be completed by Spring 2019.
- Excited for the Live Your Heartprint movement on-campus.
- Gave an update on Eric Rivera’s retirement on December 12. Christy Samarkos will be the Interim Vice President of Student Affairs.
- Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President:
- Encouraged members to sign-up for homecoming team nominations.
- GreenFest meeting will begin this week.
- Mental Health Week Leadership team meetings also begin this week.
- Will meet with the Campus Life Council Board of Directors next week.
- Campus Safety Week will be next week.
- Michael Wiafe, Vice President of External Relations:
- Extended himself as a resource for understanding bylaws.
- External Relations Board will meet on Mondays at 10 am.
- The “Rock the Vote” campaign will meet on Monday to teach people how to register to vote.
- Will attend the Ed-Trust Equity with Ronnie in Sacramento this week.
- LobbyCorps. meeting was today at 10 am in the Presidential Suite.
- Christian Onwuka, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Will work on ARH campaign to fight food insecurity and raise awareness.
- The first meeting for the Financial Affairs Committee was on Monday.
- The deadline to apply for student success fee funding is October 5.
- Jennifer Esquivel-Parker for Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Tabling duties are due this Friday at 4 pm.
- Reminded members to submit their Last Chance Alternative by tomorrow.
- Will continue to use the google form for requests for excused absences.
- Volunteers are urgently needed for the Food Pantry.
- Tomi Osinfolarin, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Reminded members to practice safety when riding Bird scooters. There is a fine for riding Birds without a helmet. Helmets are available for $1 on their website.
- Please sanitize after using communal transportation.
- Latrel Powell, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Extended himself as a resource.
- Warsan Artan, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Met with council representatives.
- Will meet with Graduate Student Association and Maricruz.
- Will try to meet with council once a month with Ronnie.
- Excited for the “Rock the Vote” campaign.
- College of Arts and Letters:
- There will be a coffee with the council.
- The Undocumented Resource Area will be looking to get tablets from SLL.
- College of Business:
- Selected new Vice President of marketing.
- Will reach out to freshmen.
- College of Education:
- Working on finding a meeting time.
- College of Engineering:
- Will work on plans in the future.
- College of Health and Human Services:
- Will set up office hours with representatives.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- Will set up office hours.
- College of Sciences:
- Will look for a cord chair on the executive board.
- Gave an update on the Dean Search.
- Graduate Student Association:
- Undeclared College:
- Updated their logo.
- Will collaborate with the College of Engineering and Business.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Ronnie Cravens adjourned the meeting at 6:19 pm.
APPROVED BY: Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary