Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, February 7, 2018 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Chris Thomas called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard (left early), Hayden Willis, Chris Thomas, Carmel Alon, Victor Uwakwe, Farris Nabulsi, Michelle Sabin, Michael Glassman, Lauren Louie (late), Justin Venckus, Zakkiya West, Ronnie Cravens, Natalie Martinez, Christian Onwuka, Matthew Blutinger, Nikolas Marquez, Will Wiseman, Kurt Hoffmann, Tomi Osinfolarin, Alice Orozco, Harsh Varshney, Warsan Artan, Daia Brewer, Emily Jachec, Mia Panlilio, Quinn Toohey, Alanna Sparks, Nikki Zargari, Brandon Goodwin (late).
- Voting Members Absent: Karthik Gangadharan.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski, Aileen Wei.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Andrea Dooley, Christina Brown.
- Visitors Present: Diana Guevarra, Steven Plante, Connor Curley, Nickolas Wohlman, Christine Molina, Donna Conaty, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski:
- Governor Brown gave the CSU system a budget of $92 million.
- There will be preparations made to lobby against an upcoming tuition hike.
- The State Academic Senate issued a resolution for no tuition increase and another resolution to urge the Board of Trustees to determine a long-term plan for tuition increases.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Andrea Dooley: None.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a printed copy of the General Consent Report copy from the Government Secretary.
- New Registration Timeline Update (Time Certain 4:30 pm):
- Christine Molina and Donna Conaty from the New Registration Taskforce answered questions and addressed concerns regarding the New Registration Timeline.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs:
- The University Senate Committee will continue to fill positions.
- There will be a Dean search for the College of Sciences. Dean reviews will be conducted for the College of PSFA and College of Engineering.
- Will continue to give presentations informing students on the ARC Referendum.
- There will be an overview of the Educational Opportunity Program and its success.
- Reminded members of the Administration Citation of $75 for violation of school policies.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, President:
- Students will be selected this week to serve on the Aztec Mascot Taskforce.
- Informed members that a temporary staff has been hired for six months to teach students how to operate the Media Studio that will be open in April.
- Encouraged members to attend the event held in Montezuma Hall on Thursday, February 8 from 9-10:30 am to introduce Ms. Adela de la Torre as the new University President.
- Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President:
- Campus Safety Committee will be meeting in the Visionary Suite every other Thursday at 11 am to educate the University on safety efforts. This week’s meeting will focus on Library safety.
- Aztec Achievement Award (Triple A’s) will take place on April 19 from 5-7 pm in Montezuma Hall.
- Tickets for GreenFest are available at Viejas Arena. Student tickets are $15. Non-SDSU tickets are $25.
- Carmel Alon, Vice President of External Relations:
- Attended Cal State Student Association (CSSA) with Chimezie. She discussed the possible tuition hike.
- Christina, Dustin, and Angelica attended the Basic Needs Conference to present on efforts made by SDSU for food and housing insecurity.
- The California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) applications are due February 14.
- Met with Daniel Waterman, Assistant Dean of the College of Extended Studies (CES), to discuss a possible winter intersession through CES.
- Will work on the “Rock the Vote” campaign.
- Informed members of the Career Fair on February 19 from 10am-2:30pm in Montezuma Hall.
- Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- The financial report will be available at the upcoming UC meeting.
- Will continue to work on the ARC Referendum.
- Excited to be selected as a student speaker for the TEDx talk that will happen on March 10 from 10am-2pm in Montezuma Hall!
- Christina Brown, Executive Director (Jennifer Esquivel-Parker reported):
- Reminded members of the deadline on Thursday, February 15 at 4 pm to turn in their applications for A.S. Elections. Applications for appointed seats will be due on April 11.
- Requirement duties are due on Friday, February 9.
- Victor Uwakwe, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- The grand opening for the Black Resource Center will be on February 28 at 3:30 pm.
- Will work on the ARC Referendum Leadership team.
- Michelle Sabin, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Attended the PSFA panel event.
- Will work on promoting the ARC Referendum.
- Farris Nabulsi, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Encouraged members to extend the invitation to friends to be involved in Associated Students. The deadline to submit applications will be February 15 at 4 pm.
- College of Arts and Letters:
- Will cosponsor an event with Career Services.
- Will collaborate with the College of Engineering on an event.
- Excited to table in the Student Union.
- College of Business:
- Congratulations to Nikki Zargari and Brandon Goodwin on being elected as the A.S. Representatives for the College of Business.
- College of Education:
- The College of Education has selected an A.S. Representative.
- College of Engineering:
- Encouraged organizations to host events in the new EIS building.
- Engineering week will begin February 19. There will be a variety of events offered.
- Will plan the Dean’s Ping Pong Tournament that will take place early April.
- College of Health and Human Services:
- Their meeting time will be Mondays at 1 pm.
- Scheduled an executive retreat on February 17.
- Appointed Jason Ramirez as the new CHHS advisor.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- The A.S. panel event today was a success.
- The “Lend a Hand” campaign will continue.
- Will promote office hours.
- College of Sciences:
- Will plan the “Discover Your Dream” event to help students explore diverse career paths in science.
- Elected a new executive chair.
- All student organizations in the College of Sciences will table at Explore SDSU on March 17.
- Graduate Student Association:
- Undeclared College:
- Will work with Career Services to plan an event.
- Will collaborate with the Undeclared Student Success Program.
- Undergraduate Research Committee meets biweekly on Wednesdays from 2-3 pm in Aztlan.
- Diversity Career Forum will be this Friday.
- Greenlove will be presenting the Complicit film in Montezuma Hall.
- Central Americans for Empowerment (CAFE) will be an upcoming organization.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Chris Thomas adjourned the meeting at 5:18 pm.
APPROVED BY: Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary