JANUARY 24, 2018 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Chris Thomas called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Hayden Willis, Chris Thomas, Carmel Alon, Victor Uwakwe, Farris Nabulsi, Lauren Louie, Justin Venckus, Zakkiya West, Ronnie Cravens, Natalie Martinez, Christian Onwuka, Matthew Blutinger, Nikolas Marquez, Will Wiseman, Kurt Hoffmann, Tomi Osinfolarin, Alice Orozco, Harsh Varshney, Warsan Artan, Daia Brewer (late), Emily Jachec, Mia Panlilio, Quinn Toohey, Alanna Sparks.
- Voting Members Absent:Vanessa Girard, Michelle Sabin, Michael Glassman, Karthik Gangadharan.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Andrea Dooley, Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski
- Visitors Present: Diana Guevarra, Meagan Harms.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski: None.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Andrea Dooley
- Introduced herself and her positions at San Diego State University.
- Informed members of the services of the Student Ability Success Center as well as the name change of the Department of Health Promotions to the Department of Well-Being and Health Promotion.
- The Student Health Newsletter will be launched to discuss well-being, health, and nutrition.
- She along with A.S. student leaders will attend the Student Needs Conference in Sacramento next month.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a printed copy of the General Consent Report copy from the Government Secretary.
- Reflection on the fall semester and looking forward to the semester ahead discussion:
- Chimezie and Christina discussed the history of A.S. student leadership at SDSU and showed the A.S. Legacy of Leadership video.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs:
- University Affairs Board meeting will be on Tuesdays at 10 am in Council Chambers.
- Remind college presidents that Academic Affairs Board meetings will be on Fridays at 9 am in the State Suite.
- Excited to meet with University Council members.
- Applications for those interested in positions for next year in Associated Students will open this Friday, January 26.
- The Aztec Recreation Center (ARC) Leadership team meeting will be on Friday.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, President:
- Attended the Auxiliary Organization Association (AOA) conference and served on the student panel to present on how his involvement in Associated Students has supported his success as a student.
- The Board of Trustees will conduct additional interviews for the Presidential Search candidates. The President will be announced Wednesday, January 31st.
- Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President:
- Campus Safety Committee will be meeting in the Visionary Suite to discuss their mission, vision, and leadership goals. The purposes of the committee are to identify issues and concerns of the students and to create a plan to address those issues and communication plan for informing the students.
- Carmel Alon, Vice President of External Relations:
- External Relations Board meetings will begin next week on Monday at 10 am in Council Chambers. They will continue the “Rock the Vote” campaign that will take place in April.
- Applications for California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) will be available soon. CHESS will take place the weekend of March 11-12.
- Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Interviews for Financial Affairs Committee are in process. FAC meetings are Mondays at 11 am in the Legacy Suite.
- Will continue to work on the ARC Referendum.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Attended the AOA Conference to discuss free speech, employment, food insecurity, and other topics that pertain to the California State Universities (CSUs).
- The media studio that is student run will be available to all students this semester. They will start to work on sample student projects
- Victor Uwakwe, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- The grand opening for the Black Resource Center will be on February 28 at 3:30 pm.
- Michelle Sabin, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Farris Nabulsi, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Excited for the semester!
- College of Arts and Letters:
- Excited to collaborate with the College of Engineering.
- The Desserts with the Dean event was successful.
- Looking forward to being more active in other organizations on campus.
- College of Business:
- Currently in the interview process for the A.S. Representative position.
- Applications will open for the College of Business Vice President of External Affairs, Finance, and Communication.
- College of Education:
- The College of Education is currently accepting applications to fill the Representative vacancy.
- Their meetings will begin next Monday.
- College of Engineering:
- The Engineering and Interdisciplinary Studies (EIS) Building has officially opened.
- Engineering week will be April 20-24. They encouraged members to attend the events.
- Excited for the collaboration with the College of Arts and Letters.
- “Space Exploration for Future Generations” will be on February 2 in Montezuma Hall from 6-8:30 pm that will feature a panel of diverse leaders in the engineering industry.
- College of Health and Human Services:
- In the process of looking for a new Dean of CHHS.
- Their meeting time is to be determined.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- Will host an event on how to be involved in PSFA.
- The “Lend a Hand” campaign will continue.
- Will promote office hours.
- College of Sciences:
- Will plan the “Discover Your Dream” event to help students explore diverse career paths in science.
- Expressed interest in planning a collaborative open forum.
- Will experience changes within their executive board.
- Graduate Student Association:
- Undeclared College: None.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Chris Thomas adjourned the meeting at 5:01 pm.
APPROVED BY: Chris Thomas,Vice President of University Affairs
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary