Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, November 15, 2017 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Chris Thomas called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Hayden Willis, Chris Thomas, Carmel Alon, Victor Uwakwe, Matthew Richman, Justin Venckus, Karthik Gangadharan, Ronnie Cravens, Natalie Martinez, Zakkiya West (late), Haley Bauer, Christian Onwuka, Matthew Blutinger, Nikolas Marquez (left early), Will Wiseman, Michael Glassman, Kurt Hoffmann, Tomi Osinfolarin, Alice Orozco, Harsh Varshney, Warsan Artan, Daia Brewer, Emily Jachec, Mia Panlilio, Quinn Toohey, Alanna Sparks
- Voting Members Absent: Michelle Sabin, Farris Nabulsi, Lauren Louie, Chloe Mouw.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski, Vitaliano Figueroa, Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Diana Guevarra, Dr. Sandra Cook, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
There was friendly amendment to add a San Diego State University’s Enrollment Management Update with a Time Certain of 4 pm. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
Michael Glassman informed A.S. leaders of Aztec Dance Marathon’s Miracle Week. It will be from November 27 to December 1. They will raise funds for the children who are patients at Rady’s Children Hospital.
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski:
- Gave an update on the Aztec Resolution made in the University Senate. The Senate does not have the ability to retire the Aztec name. The resolution was to eliminate the human representation of the mascot and to form a taskforce to investigate and make accommodations regarding the Aztec identity and moniker.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa:
- San Diego State University is Number 8 in the number of students participating in study abroad experiences.
- Informed members of the international week events that will be occurring on campus this week.
- “Peace Village” event will be on November 16 in Montezuma Hall.
- The Nike N7 game in honor of Native American Heritage month will be on Friday, November 17.
- SDSU will partner with the American Indian Recruitment (AIR) program to raise funds for scholarships on November 28.
- San Diego State University Enrollment Management Update – Dr. Sandra Cook, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs (Time Certain 4 pm):
- Dr. Sandra Cook explained the graduation rates of transfer and undergraduate students as well as the first-time freshmen continuation and graduation rates. She also discussed the enrollment process for SDSU.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information):
The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a printed copy of the General Consent Report copy from the Government Secretary.
VIII. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
IX. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Reminded members to notify Judicial Affairs Council if they are studying abroad Spring 2018.
- The Blood Drive will be on November 28 at Viejas Arena. This will be the largest collegiate blood drive.
- The “Your Voice Matters” campaign will host an open forum on November 29 to dicsuss campus safety with Chief Mays, Jessica Rentto, and Chimezie.
- Announced the Referendum for the Aztecs Recreation Center (ARC) expansion.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, President:
- The Student Success Fee Level 3 has been approved.
- Center for Intercultural Relations (CIR) A.S. Conversations happened today.
- Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President:
- The last campus clean up was a success!
- December 6 will be the end of semester holiday party.
- Carmel Alon, Vice President of External Relations:
- The California State Student Association (CSSA) meeting is this weekend at San Luis Obispo (SLO).
- External Relations Board reviewed the 2018 general election.
- Encouraged members to be involved with the “Rock the Vote” campaign.
- Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- The Children’s Center audit went well.
- Facility rebudgets are currently going to Financial Affairs.
- Grateful for the support to raise 588,000 pounds of food for the Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign (ARH). Congratulations to College of Health and Human Services for winning the ARH college council competition!
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker reported on the following:
- Reminded members to complete the 360 surveys of the executive officers.
- Victor Uwakwe, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- The Partnership for the Advancement for New Americans (PANA) will be hosting the “Refugee Renaissance” to highlight the story of being a refugee on December 3 from 6-8 pm at the Mingei International Museum.
- Michelle Sabin, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Farris Nabulsi, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- College of Arts and Letters:
- Zakkiyya will be serving on the Extended Studies Dean Search Committee.
- The retreat on Sunday was a success.
- Will help with the “Lend a Hand” campaign.
- Dessert with the Dean is scheduled for December.
- Interested in collaborating with the College of Engineering, Undeclared and the Professional Studies and Fine Arts.
- College of Business:
- Reminded members of the November 17 deadline for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- College of Education:
- The Education Symposium will be on Friday in Montezuma Theatre from 1-4 pm.
- College of Engineering:
- The Blood Drive will be on November 28 at Viejas Arena.
- Will continue to work with Marketing and Communications for the grand opening of the Engineering and Interdisciplinary Sciences Complex (EIS).
- College of Health and Human Services:
- Students of Public Health will be accepting donations for supplies for homeless children in Downtown.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- The “Lend a Hand” campaign will be collecting clothes in the Student Union.
- College of Sciences:
- The A.S. Open Forum will happen on November 29 in the Union from 2-4.
- Graduate Student Association:
- Extended invitation to members to attend the GSA social event tomorrow.
- Undeclared College:
- Will collaborate with career services for a social event.
- Will have a social event with the honors council on December 4.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Chris Thomas adjourned the meeting at 6:01 pm.
APPROVED BY: Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary