Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, October 4, 2017 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Chris Thomas called the meeting to order at 3:38 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Giard (left early), Hayden Willis (left early), Chris Thomas, Carmel Alon (left early), Michelle Sabin, Farris Nabulsi (late), Victor Uwakwe (left early), Ronnie Cravens, Natalie Martinez, Zakkiya West (late), Haley Bauer, Christian Onwuka, Matthew Richman, Matthew Blutinger, Chloe Mouw, Nikolas Marquez, Will Wiseman, Micheal Glassman, Kurt Hoffmann, Tomi Osinfolarin, Lauren Louie, Alice Orozco, Harsh Varshney, Warsan Artan (left early), Daia Brewer, Emily Jachec, Mia Panlilio, Justin Venckus, Karthik Gangadharan.
- Voting Members Absent: Quinn Toohey, Alanna Sparks.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski, Vitaliano Figueroa, Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Diana Guevarra.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
V. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski:
- The San Diego State University Senate passed a resolution to support the delay of Executive Orders 1100 and 1110 until Fall 2019.
- The governor increased the budget for the California State University system by $102 million. The effects of that are to be discussed.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa:
VI. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
- It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda.
- It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a printed copy of the General Consent Report copy from the Government Secretary.
VII. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
VIII. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Met with Dr. Lisa Kath and gave an update on the research ad-hoc committee.
- Discussed the crime statistics report and the decrease in crime on-campus from 2015 to 2016. Personal safety and police escorts are available to students. There are also different trainings offered to prevent sexual assault.
- Encouraged A.S. leaders to inform others of the administrative citation.
- The Marsh Science Fiction room opened in the Love Library Thursday, September 28 at 2 pm.
- The library is planning to add outdoor seating. The 24/7 hours in the library will soon be expanded to two floors to accommodate students.
- One representative from each college council is encouraged to attend the University Affairs Board (UAB) meetings on Mondays at 11am-12pm in Council Chambers to help promote the “Your Voice Matters” campaign.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, President:
- The research committee is looking to involve more student-led research opportunities.
- Gave an update on the student representatives appointed for the Dean search for College of Health and Human Services, College of Extended Studies, and College of Education.
- The First Year Leadership Experience (FLEX) and First Year Leadership Initiative (FLI) program for 2017-2018 has begun!
- Encouraged members to network at the University Leaders Reception.
- Reminded members to donate to Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President:
- The three Starbucks across campus will be reserved for “Coffee Convos with A.S. Leaders” for outdoor office hours.
- The Campus Community Commission will be having a Clean Up Sunday, October 8 at 9 am.
- “A.S. CIR Conversation” will take place Wednesday, October 11 from 12:30 – 1:30 pm at the Center for Intercultural Relations (CIR).
- Gave an update on the Homecoming videos that will be released.
- Collaborated with the Greek Life Activities Board on the “Dodge for the Cause” event that will take place on the Tuesday of Homecoming week.
- Carmel Alon, Vice President of External Relations:
- The College Area Community Council meeting will be on October 11 at 7 pm at the Faith Presbyterian Church and “SoccerCity” and “Public Land, Public Vote” will present their development initiatives.
- SDSU’s San Diego City Council Representative Georgette Gomez wrote a resolution opposing President Trump’s plans to build a wall along the U.S. and Mexico border.
- Discussed changes made by the Secretary of Education to Title IX. The Chancellor gave an update that the CSU’s policies will remain in place.
- Currently looking for a Vice Chair on the External Relations Board (ERB) and Lobby Corp.
- The tentative dates for the sexual assault prevention training will be on November 15 for University Council and on November 29 for Campus Life Council.
- Campus Life Council students-at-large will discuss the inclusive leadership initiative at the next University Council meeting.
- Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Excited for the partnership with Aztec Proud for the Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Gave an update on the College Republicans event in Montezuma Hall and reported that the event has been postponed due to security concerns on that particular day.
- Excited for the University Leaders reception!
- Victor Uwakwe, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Encouraged members to volunteer for Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Met with Residential Hall Association (RHA) to discuss issues on housing.
- Will meet with University Council Representatives to discuss Recognized Student Organizations (RSO).
- Michelle Sabin, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Wants to build a safe community at San Diego State University.
- Her email has been updated and is looking forward to reaching out to representatives.
- Farris Nabulsi, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Gave an update on the administrative citation of a $75 fee for violation of biking, skateboarding, and smoking policies.
- College of Arts and Letters:
- Applying for student success fees funding.
- Planning on creating a t-shirt and logo contest.
- College of Business:
- There will be a social networking event on October 24.
- Excited for Aztecs Rock Hunger!
- There will be a President’s luncheon on October 20 for students organizations to collaborate.
- College of Education:
- Plans to collaborate with the College of Undeclared for future events.
- College of Education will be hosting an education symposium, “Education in the Real World” featuring guest speaker Dr. Santone.
- College of Engineering:
- Working on graduation cords for Outstanding Engineering students.
- The Pumpkin Drop event will be on October 31 from 1-3 pm in the Student Union.
- College of Health and Human Services:
- The San Diego State University Compact for Success will be on October 21 from 11 am – 12 pm. Volunteers are welcome.
- Attended the California Association of School Counselors (CASC) Creative Kick-off meeting that discussed the Student Ability Success Center.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- The “Lend a Hand” campaign will take place in November. The College of PSFA will collaborate with the Community Service Commission and Aztec Student Union Board to provide bins on-campus for clothes donations.
- “Donuts with the Dean” will occur October 25.
- College of Sciences:
- Planning an interclub mingle to encourage collaboration between groups.
- Excited to launch a series with a panel of Alumni for undergraduate research.
- Graduate Student Association:
- The graduate student social event was a success!
- Recruiting students for the Graduate Student Association.
- Undeclared College:
- Interested in planning a social event in November at Aztec Lanes.
- Invited other councils to speak at Undeclared College meetings.
Nick Wohlman encouraged University Council members to collaborate with respective councils and committees to plan a community service event.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Chris Thomas adjourned the meeting at 4:31 pm.
APPROVED BY: Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary