SEPTEMBER 20, 2017 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Chris Thomas called the meeting to order at 3:38 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Giard, Hayden Willis, Chris Thomas, Farris Nabulsi, Victor Uwakwe (left early), Ronnie Cravens, Natalie Martinez, Zakkiya West (late/left early), Haley Bauer, Christian Onwuka, Matthew Richman (left early), Quinn Toohey, Matthew Blutinger, Chloe Mouw, Nikolas Marquez, Alanna Sparks, Will Wiseman, Micheal Glassman, Kurt Hoffmann, Tomi Osinfolarin, Lauren Louie, Alice Orozco, Harsh Varshney, Warsan Artan (left early), Daia Brewer, Emily Jachec, Mia Panlilio, Justin Venckus, Karthik Gangadharan.
- Voting Members Absent: Michelle Sabin, Carmel Alon.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Vitaliano Figueroa, Christina Brown, Aileen Wei
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski.
- Visitors Present: Michael Wiafe, Kimberly Alli, Donald Guy, Anya Shutovska, Samantha Bonpensievo, Di Guevarra, Nickolas Wohlman, Radmila Prislin, Donna Conaty, T’Ante Sims, Rose Pasenelli, Stephanie Anderson.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda. WISEMAN/ONWUKA CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes. HOFFMANN/VENCKUS CARRIED
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
- Donald Guy discussed the term “social distancing” and seeks to bring awareness of the term to college campuses.
- Judicial Affairs Council Justice, Michael Wiafe, announced the three vacancies that are accepting applications: Election Coordinator, Judicial Affairs Justice, and Student Support Representative. He informed members of the designated roles of each Justice. He also reminded members that all remaining requirements are due November 17.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski: None.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa:
- The College of Business is currently looking for an Assistant Dean of Student Affairs.
- Mari Guillermo accepted a position at the University of San Diego.
- New Registration Timeline Presentation - New Registration Taskforce (Time Certain 3:45 pm)
- Radmila Prislin, Donna Conaty, T’Ante Sims, Rose Pasenelli, and Stephanie Anderson presented the change in the registration timeline. Registration for the Fall semester will begin in April and registration for the Spring semester will be available in November. This is to ensure student success. It will be launched April 2018 for the upcoming Fall 2018 semester.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda. OSINFOLARIN/BLUTINGER CARRIED
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a printed copy of the General Consent Report copy from the Government Secretary.
- Selection of UC Rep. for Appointments and Review Ad-hoc Committee (Action): It was moved and seconded to open the floor for UC Rep. for Appointments and Review Ad-hoc Committee nominations. GLASSMAN/ONWUKA CARRIED It was moved and seconded to select Will Wiseman as UC Rep. for Appointments and Review Ad-hoc Committee. OSINFOLARIN/WEST CARRIED
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Served on the interview panel for the Police Captain. Will meet with Chief Mays on Friday, September 22 to discuss violence on-campus.
- The Women’s Resource Center began the Brave Project, an extensive educational program on sexual violence.
- Gave an update on Dr. Lisa Kath’s desire to gauge interest in undergraduate research. There will be an ad-hoc committee to discuss research availability.
- Met with Dr. Sandra Cook to discuss Executive Order 1110 and 1112.
- Excited for the Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign to begin!
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, President:
- The Presidential Search Open Search Forum will be Monday, September 25 from 12:30-2:30 pm in the Alumni Center Ballroom.
- Encouraged University Council members to attend the conversation with A.S. leaders at the Center of Intercultural Relations.
- Gave an update from the last Campus Fee Advisory Committee (CFAC) on the allocation of the Student Success Fee. Also, there will be an increase in lodging from $60 to $80 and an increase for food from $20 to $30.
- Attended the California State Student Association (CSSA) meetingwith Carmel. The Campus action regarding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) was discussed. There will be a proposal created to allocate $150,000 to support the 320 DACA recipients at SDSU.
- Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President:
- Homecoming will officially be launched Monday, September 25.
- Homecoming Court will be announced at 12-1 pm in the Goldberg Courtyard on Tuesday, September 26. Support A.S. candidates Kimberly Alli and Karthik Gangadharan!
- Aztec Proud is partnering with Sustainability Commission to promote sustainable philanthropy. Donations can be made September 26 from 10:30am-1:00 pm.
- SDSU Athletics is hosting the event “Student Organization of the Game” in search of a student organization to be represented at football games.
- An “University Leader Reception” will be held on October 4 at 5:00 pm.
- The Center for Intercultural Relations (CIR) will be hosting a “DACA Know Your Rights” session on September 21 at 6-8 pm.
- The CIR will have events to give A.S. leaders an opportunity to answer questions on Wednesdays from 12:30-1:30 pm on October 11, November 5, and December 6.
- The A.S. Barbeque for A.S. leaders will take place on October 26 from 6-9 pm on the third floor terrace of the Aztec Student Union.
- Kamilah Willingham, social justice speaker and activist, will speak on gender violence and share her personal experience next Wednesday, September 27 at 6 pm in the Theatre.
- Carmel Alon, Vice President of External Relations:
- The College Area Community Council Meeting will be on November 11 at 7 pm at the Faith Presbyterian Church to discuss the development of the Mission Valley site. “SoccerCity” and “Public Land, Public Vote” will present their development initiatives.
- Attended the CSSA meeting at Fullerton. Updates were given on DACA and the Dream Act.
- Will meet with Campus Life Council Board of Directors students-at-large to develop an inclusive leadership program
- Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Hayden yielded to Nick Wohlman and Anya Shutovska who presented the Aztecs Rock Hunger Campaign to raise pounds of food for the Jacobs and Cushman San Diego Food Bank. The goal this year is 500,000 lbs of food.
- November 3 will be the awards presentation for the ARH student organization competition.
- Volunteer Training for Aztecs Rock Hunger will be at 3pm in Park Boulevard
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Informed members that legal services are provided for all students
- Victor Uwakwe, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Speech, Language, and Hearing Science (SLHS) proposed an $11 fee increase for the Master’s program at the Campus Fee Advisory Committee (CFAC).
- Encouraged members to notify SDSU students of the $75 citation fee for the smoking, biking, and skateboarding policies.
- Michelle Sabin, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Farris Nabulsi, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- College of Arts and Letters:
- There were 10 people interviewed for the College of Arts and Letters president position.
- College of Arts and Letters will have a global design contest for a new logo.
- Office hours will be finalized by the upcoming University Council meeting.
- College of Business:
- In search for an Assistant Dean.
- Will look into Instructionally Related Activities (IRA) funding for student organizations.
- Excited for Aztecs Rock Hunger!
- College of Education: None.
- College of Engineering:
- Excited for the Engineering and Interdisciplinary Sciences (EIS) building to be launched!
- College of Engineering will be hosting the “Pumpkin Drop” event on October 31 from 1-3 pm. The winning team will receive $250.
- Will have office hours with professionals from the engineering industry.
- Looking forward to Aztecs Rock Hunger!
- College of Health and Human Services:
- Finalized a schedule to meet with student organizations regarding goals.
- Will plan to be involved in the California Nursing Students’ Association (CNSA).
- Excited for the Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign to begin
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- Office hours will occur in October for answer questions about the College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts as well as questions about Associated Students.
- College of Sciences:
- Will make plans to include an inter-club mingling component to their bylaws.
- Expressed interest in Undergraduate research opportunities.
- There will be a College of Sciences retreat in the Hillel Center.
- A monthly newsletter will be available.
- Graduate Student Association:
- The Graduate student mixer was a success.
- There will be a social scheduled every third Thursday of the month.
- A grant writing workshop will be available in the upcoming months.
- Undeclared College:
- Interested in planning a social event in November at Aztec Lanes with Alumni from the Undeclared College.
Nick Wohlman encouraged University Council members to collaborate with respective councils and committees to plan a community service event.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. CRAVENS/WISEMAN CARRIED
Vice President of University Affairs Chris Thomas adjourned the meeting at 5:55 pm.
APPROVED BY: Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary