Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, September 6, 2017 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Chris Thomas called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Giard, Carmel Alon, Hayden Willis, Chris Thomas, Michelle Sabin, Farris Nabulsi, Victor Uwakwe (left early), Ronnie Cravens, Natalie Martinez, Zakkiya West, Haley Bauer, Christian Onwuka, Matthew Richman, Quinn Toohey, Matthew Blutinger, Chloe Mouw, Nikolas Marquez, Alanna Sparks, Will Wiseman, Micheal Glassman, Kurt Hoffmann, Tomi Osinfolarin, Lauren Louie, Alice Orozco, Harsh Varshney, Warsan Artan, Daia Brewer, Emily Jachec, Mia Panlilio, Justin Venckus
- Voting Members Absent: Karthik Gangadharan
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Vitaliano Figueroa, Christina Brown, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski, Aileen Wei
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Michael Wiafe, Erick Ramirez, Kimberly Alli, Dr. Lisa Kath, Bradley Whittaker
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda. RICHMAN/GLASSMAN
It was moved to add Item C Homecoming Nominations as a friendly amendment. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
- Judicial Affairs Council members Kimberly Alli, Michael Wiafe, and Erick Ramirez reminded the University Council members of their responsibilities. The requirements for tabling will be due next Friday, September 15. The deadline to submit a request for Last Chance Alternative is Friday, September 8 at 4:30 pm.
- Bradley Whittaker, International Headquarters Staff of Zeta Beta Tau, reported Beta Zeta Chapter returning to San Diego State University.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski:
- He will attend CSU Board of Trustees meetings as well as statewide CSU Senate meeting
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa:
- The organizations he will be working with include Compact for Success, Testing Services, International Student Center, and Imperial Campus Student Affairs.
- There are resources and counseling services avaliable for those with the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status. Cynthia Torres, Assistant Director of Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), is available to answer questions and concerns regarding DACA.
- His office is Student Services West, Room 2640.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- General Consent Report (Information): None.
- Homecoming Nominations (Time Certain: 4:15 pm):
It was moved and seconded to open the floor to homecoming nominations. GIRARD/WISEMAN CARRIED
It was moved and seconded to select Kimberly Alli and Karthik Gangadharan as A.S.’s nominees for Homecoming Royals. GIRARD/RICHMAN CARRIED
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Aims to create change on campus and leave a legacy.
- The Women’s Resource Center began the Brave Project, an extensive educational program on sexual violence.
- There will be a presentation on the Early Registration Timeline at the September 20 University Council meeting.
- He will continue to meet with University Council representatives.
- Encouraged University Council members to attend the information session in Park Boulevard on September 13 at 1-1:45 pm.
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, President:
- The Bookstore Advisory Committee is looking for students to join the Senate Committee and provide feedback.
- A survey will be created for the student perspective on the University Presidential Search. The open forum will be on September 25.
- The College of Extended Studies and the College of Health and Human Services are currently in the search for a Dean.
- Vanessa Girard, Executive Vice President:
- The Student Disability Center established a name change to Student Ability Success Center. Student Support Commission will be holding a meeting on Monday, October 2 at 9 am-12 pm to get ideas on how to market the name change.
- All Homecoming events can be found on the Homecoming website. The Homecoming 5K Fun Run is on Saturday, October 21. All proceeds from the 5K will be donated to Aztec Rock Hunger.
- Aztec Dance Marathon will be hosting an Aztec Night themed “FTK in Wonderland” on Friday 10pm – 2pm in the Goldberg Courtyard.
- Carmel Alon, Vice President of External Relations:
- External Advisory Board (EAB) meeting will be having an information session Wednesday, September 13 in Park Boulevard to address any concerns regarding DACA.
- Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Completed the marketing portion of the Aztecs Rock Hunger video.
- Financial Affairs Committee will be meeting Monday, September 11 at 11 am. There are eleven spots available.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Exercise and Nutritional Sciences (ENS) and Recreation and Wellness classes are available for sign-ups.
- Christina is available to University Council members for student initiatives.
- Victor Uwakwe, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Michelle Sabin, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Excited for a great semester!
- Farris Nabulsi, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- College of Arts and Letters:
- College of Arts and Letters is currently looking for a new president.
- Their first meeting will be on Friday, September 8 at 12-1 pm at the Visionary Suite.
- College of Business:
- Orientation will be Wednesday, September 13.
- College of Education:
- Their first meeting will occur next Monday, September 11.
- College of Engineering:
- Interested in utilizing monitors in the Student Union to highlight club events.
- The SDSU Mechatronics team has a submarine competition in Point Loma. They are looking into using the Aquaplex facilities to practice at a lower rate.
- College of Health and Human Services:
- Meeting will be September 11 at 9 AM.
- They are currently interviewing for the Vice President of Finance position.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- They are looking for a Vice President of External Affairs and Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- College of Sciences:
- Will collaborate with the College of Health and Human Services for future events.
- Graduate Student Association: None.
- Undeclared College:
- Interested in planning a social event with a representative from each college.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. ONWUKA/PANLILIO CARRIED
Vice President of University Affairs Chris Thomas adjourned the meeting at 5:51pm.
APPROVED BY: Chris Thomas, Vice President of University Affairs
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary