Wednesday, March 22, 2017 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Jamie Miller (late), Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Alex Shapiro, Michael Kagan, Carmel Alon, Nick Elliott, Josh Skolnick, Hannah Fogg, AhnaMia Maranon, Daniel DeFever, Asha Abdirahim, Amy Newell, Victor Uwakwe, Imahn Moshksar, Sarah Bentley, Mitchell Frame, Halima Eid, Ozair Purmul, Samantha Ledesma, Ben Delbick (left early), Dakota DeCecco, Lauryn Davis, Kyle Ruiz, Shawn Tenny.
- Voting Members Absent: Linsey Santos, Gass Hersi, Chloe Sension, Dustin Pina, Imani White.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Vitaliano Figueroa, Christina Brown, Linh Phan, George Scott for Dustin Pina, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski.
- Visitors Present: Tanesha Moore, Chris Cate, Crystal Sudano.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
There was a motion to remove IX. Introduction of New Legislative Matters Item A. #UCB S17-01 A Resolution to Condemn Anti-Semitism (Information, 2nd Reading). There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
- Crystal Sudano introduced herself and shared her experiences with shared governance. She offered help, especially an unbiased opinion regarding “A Resolution to Retire the San Diego State University Mascot and Moniker”.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Ornatowski: None.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa:
- Testing Services is back to Student Services West.
- Educational Opportunity Program (EOP), Compact for Success, and Financial Aid are moving back to their spaces.
- Aztec Scholar Initiative is moving to Student Services West, next to the Financial Aid office.
- The University is wrapping up the search for the EOP Coordinator for undocumented research.
- City of San Diego Councilmember Chris Cate (Time Certain 4:00):
- Introduced himself and the regions that he represents. His district is called the Asian Pacific Islander (API) district.
- Discussed City issues and answered questions.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full copy of the agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Reminded everyone that study abroad scholarships are due April 5.
- Please bring transition binder to transition dinner.
- Jamie Miller, President:
- Encouraged representatives to talk to their college councils regarding the resolutions coming through University Council.
- Please respond to the email regarding feedback for Chancellor White regarding an interim president.
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Reminded everyone that all duties are due April 5.
- Take Back the Week will be from April 10-14.
- Aztec Achievement Awards is on April 20.
- Last meeting is on April 26. We will be swearing in the new A.S. leaders.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- California State University Board of Trustees voted to approve the tuition increase of $270 per year for undergraduates.
- Is planning a May advocacy event.
- Please share the A.S. statement regarding the tuition increase.
- Is filming video regarding the tuition increase.
- Encouraged students to call the Financial Aid office to see how this tuition increase will affect them.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC) will be working on budget deliberation from 11-6pm.
- Last week FAC approved the rebudgets for the Daily Aztec and Mission Bay Aquatic Center.
- Jennifer Esquivel-Parker for Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Reviewed the resolution timeline.
- Michael Kagan, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Thanked everyone for helping elections voter turnout to get 20%!
- He will be doing one more A.S. Live this semester.
- Attended the Student Diversity Commission to see discussion on mascot resolution.
- Walk to remember regarding the Holocaust event is on April 24 at 1pm on Campanile Walkway. Please wear all black.
- Chloe Sension, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- George Scott for Dustin Pina, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Transition process is coming along.
- College of Arts and Letters:
- Had the CAL Forum today. Attendance was not as great but had some good discussions.
- Sarah is working on her CAL philanthropy event.
- CSU Student Trustee applications are available now.
- College of Business: 1. Business Achievement Awards is on April 5. 2. Is accepting applications for college council executive seats. 3. TedX is on April 9. Tickets are still available for $25 each.
- College of Education: 1. School of Psychology is having a Padres fundraiser on April 8. 2. There are a lot of events going on right now.
- College of Engineering: 1. Engineering banquet is on May 4. 2. Nominations for college council exec team are available.
- College of Health and Human Services: 1. Applications for executive board are available!
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts: 1. Had a great time at ExploreSDSU. 2. Have subcommittees at their meetings now. 3. There will be two more community service events.
- College of Sciences: 1. Reviewed the mascot resolution today. 2. Applications for College of Sciences council are available. 3. Is bringing many speakers to their meetings.
- Graduate Student Association: None.
- Undeclared College:
- Choosing major workshop went well!
- Will have tabling events after spring break.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe adjourned the meeting at 5:21pm.
APPROVED BY: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary