Wednesday, February 8, 2017 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe called the meeting to order at 3:36 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Alex Shapiro, Michael Kagan, Chloe Sension, Dustin Pina, Carmel Alon, Nick Elliott, Ben Delbick, Hannah Fogg, AhnaMia Maranon, Daniel DeFever, Asha Abdirahim, Amy Newell, Imani White, Victor Uwakwe, Kyle Ruiz, Imahn Moshksar, Sarah Bentley, Mitchell Frame (late), Lauryn Davis, Ozair Purmul, Samantha Ledesma, Shawn Tenny.
- Voting Members Absent: Dylan Colliflower, Josh Skolnick, Linsey Santos, Gass Hersi, Dakota DeCecco.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Vitaliano Figueroa, Christina Brown, Linh Phan.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski.
- Visitors Present: Halima Eid, Brie Hornig, Ana Morino.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
There was an amendment to remove item VII. D.Office of Financial Aid Presentation. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Ornatowski: None.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa: None.
- New Registration Presentation-Ana Morino:
- Ana explained the new registration to University Council. The process will be fully implemented in spring 2018.
- The Registration Timeline Taskforce is working on proving an FAQ for students.
- She received feedback, questions and concerns to bring back to the task force.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information):
The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full copy of the agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
- Open Discussion:
- Patty informed everyone that the Student Union is now Double LEED Platinium.
- Sarah gave a California State Student Association (CSSA) update. She was disappointed with the Board of Trustees discussion regarding the tuition increase. She encouraged everyone to sign up for California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) to advocate for student concerns.
- Lobby corps. meets on Friday at 1pm.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Met with Chief Mays to discuss community policing.
- Is still attending the General Education Reform meetings.
- Gave a shoutout to Ana Morino for serving on the Ad-hoc Committee.
- Jamie Miller, President:
- Thanked everyone for attending the A.S. office hours in the Center for Intercultural Relations.
- Is attending the CSU academic affairs conference tonight and tomorrow with Chimezie.
- Reminded everyone about the A.S. Alumni event happening tonight.
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Aztecs Achievement Awards is on April 20. Nominations are open until next Friday. The goal for this year is to have 100 nominations!
- She serves on the Sexual Assault Taskforce and will be bringing back It’s On Us campaign.
- Reminded everyone that tabling requirement is due this Friday.
- There are free t-shirts at the basketball game this Sunday!
- There is a social with A.S. and the Ambassadors next Wednesday.
- Spring Into Diversity is happening soon! Please attend and show support for the Student Diversity Commission.
- GreenFest is this month!
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations: None.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Thanked Sarah Bentley for helping him with Financial Affairs Committee interviews.
- Will be preparing to hear student organizations’ presentations for org funding.
- Encouraged Graduate Student Association to spend their entire budget!
- Is working on retreat presentation for the new Financial Affairs Committee members.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Elections packets are due tomorrow at 4pm.
- The University has been working hard to offer more classes both online and in-person during the summer.
- Encouraged everyone to attend the Alumni event tonight!
- Michael Kagan, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Encouraged everyone to sign up for the Leadership Summit!
- A.S. Live will return next Monday.
- Is working on a having a speaker regarding the leadership certificate at next meeting.
- Chloe Sension, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Is assisting MarComm with the new video for first-year student orientation.
- Is looking into an A.S. council member non-monetary compensation.
- Dustin Pina, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Is meeting with the CEO of Aztec Shops.
- The SDSU App. meeting is tomorrow.
- College of Arts and Letters:
- CAL student forum is on March 8 from 1-2pm.
- CAL is partnering with Career Services for a Career Fair on March 10 from 10-12pm.
- Is working on a philanthropy aspect within CAL.
- Please help volunteers with any of their events.
- College of Business:
- Career Fair is February 15-16.
- Business Achievement Awards is on April 5 from 5-7pm.
- E^3 is having their own Career Fair.
- College of Business Career Fair is in March.
- College of Engineering:
- STEM Career Fair is on February 15.
- Is ordering new shirts.
- Is working on implementing awards for their orgs.
- Graduation cord has 4 categories, not necessarily just based on academics.
- March 9 is the Dean’s Ping Pong Tournament.
- College of Health and Human Services:
- Will be tabling at Explore SDSU.
- There is an event on workplace inclusivity for the LGBT community in the Theatre Friday night.
- SDSU and UCSD are partnering up to provide a research program for students.
- Is reaching out to other colleges for collaboration.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- Is working on having Chimezie to present about the Mobile Food Pantry.
- There are open positions within PSFA.
- Ordered shirts.
- College of Sciences:
- Appointed 3 Student-at-Larges and elected a new A.S. rep, Halima Eid.
- CSSC election is on April 12.
- Is looking into having a Biology mentor for students.
- Graduate Student Association:
- Grad Life 101 is on March 8.
- Grad celebration is on April 28.
- Undeclared College:
- Meet on Mondays at 12:15pm in State Suite.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe adjourned the meeting at 5:09pm.
APPROVED BY: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary