Wednesday, January 25, 2017 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe called the meeting to order at 3:33 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Alex Shapiro, Michael Kagan, Chloe Sension, Carmel Alon, Nick Elliott, Ben Delbick, Hannah Fogg (late), AhnaMia Maranon, Daniel DeFever, Asha Abdirahim, Amy Newell, Imani White , Victor Uwakwe, Kyle Ruiz, Josh Skolnick, Imahn Moshksar, Sarah Bentley, Mitchell Frame, Lauryn Davis, , Ozair Purmul, Dakota DeCecco, Samantha Ledesma.
- Voting Members Absent: Linsey Santos, Gass Hersi, Shawn Tenny, Dustin Pina.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Vitaliano Figueroa, Christina Brown, Linh Phan.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski.
- Visitors Present: Tori Berberet, Erika Schaffer, Mustafa Alemi.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
There was an amendment to include a vote to appoint a member of University Council to serve on the Ad-hoc Vacancy Committee. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Ornatowski: None.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa:
- The Economic Crisis Response Team has helped out 107 students this year.
- The Educational Opportunity Program will be back to Student Services East by the end of February.
- Testing services will be renovated soon.
- He will be on the interview panel for the new Dean of Students at Imperial Valley Campus.
- Gallo Wine Company Presentation (Time Certain 3:45pm):
- Top 50 places to work by Glassdor.
- Recruitment for the Management Development Program and Sales Internship Program. The internship application is open for sophomore and junior, due by February 10. More information can be found on careers.gallo.com.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information):
The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full copy of the agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
- Round Table Discussion:
Council members used this time to discuss any topics they would like in order to keep each other updated.
- It was moved and seconded to select Amy Newell to serve on the Ad-hoc Vacancy Committee to select a new Election Coordinator.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Congratulated Hannah as the new Business Rep!
- The GE Reform Committee will be attending the Association of American Colleges and Universities in February.
- Will be on the interview panel with Vitaliano for the new Dean at IVC.
- Encouraged everyone to volunteer for the Food Pantry on Thursdays!
- Jamie Miller, President:
- Is working with Student Support Committee to have more Town Hall meetings.
- This semester, the execs are really trying to have beneficial All Council Trainings. The next ACT will be a networking event.
- Is trying to reach 100 applicants for the A.S election this year.
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Thanked everyone for attending retreat!
- Aztecs Achievement Awards is on April 20. Nominations start this Friday and close on February 17.
- Awards Committee meets on Mondays at 9:45am.
- Encouraged everyone to start thinking about how to transition your position to the next college representatives.
- The 1st All Council Training will be on February 8 from 6-7:30pm in Montezuma Hall.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- Please encourage your friends to apply to External Relations Board. ERB mets on Mondays at 12:30pm.
- Will be attending the California Higher Education Summit in March. Application will be available soon. Dylan encouraged everyone to apply.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Financial Affairs Committee application closes this Friday. Alex will begin interviewing on Monday. FAC is also having a new Vice Chair election.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Encouraged all the college representatives to run for college council execs!
- Please apply for the vacant Elections Coordinator position!
- Christina suggested that students take a class at Mission Bay for fun. They offer a wide variety of classes.
- Chidren’s Center was flooded. The drain pipe will definitely be fixed for the next rainy season.
- Media Studio project is coming together!
- Beautification Committee is working on bringing more SDSU pride to the Union.
- Michael Kagan, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Aztecs Market now has stickers on food for religious students.
- A.S. Live will focus on the A.S election this semester.
- Chloe Sension, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Is looking forward to work with Sarah on the A.S. recruitment video.
- Encouraged everyone to learn to compromise with the different opinions.
- College of Arts and Letters:
- Career Fair is on March 10 from 10-2pm. Please let them know if you are able to volunteer!
- College of Business:
- Introduced Hannah Fogg and is looking forward to this new semester!
- College of Engineering:
- Will be implementing subcomittees for members to get more involved in the college.
- Meetings will now be biweekly.
- College of Health and Human Services:
- Will have organization presentations this semester.
- They have a new website and are working on a new logo.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- Lend a Hand campaign was a success!
- Meeting will be on Tuesdays from 2-3pm in PSFA 212.
- College of Sciences:
- Is working on having study abroad sound more appealing and doable for students within the College of Sciences.
- Undeclared College:
- Meeting time is still to be determined.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe adjourned the meeting at 4:42pm.
APPROVED BY: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary