SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSIT
NOVEMBER 16, 2016
COUNCIL CHAMBERS CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe called the meeting to order at 3:34 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Alex Shapiro, Michael Kagan, Chloe Sension, Carmel Alon, Nick Elliott, Ben Delbick, Troy Owens, Linsey Santos, Daniel DeFever, Gass Hersi (left early), Asha Abdirahim, Amy Newell, Imani White , Shawn Tenny, Dustin Pina, Victor Uwakwe, Kyle Ruiz, Josh Skolnick, Imahn Moshksar, Sarah Bentley, Mitchell Frame, Lauryn Davis.
- Voting Members Absent: AhnaMia Maranon, Ozair Purmul, Dakota DeCecco, Samantha Ledesma.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Vitaliano Figueroa , Dr. Cezar Ornatowski, Christina Brown, Linh Phan.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None. E. Visitors Present: Janice Dils, Letty Hernandez.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda. ELLIOTT/RUIZ Carmel Alon made an amendment to add Action Item C. Selecting a University Council representative to the Appointments and Review Ad-hoc Committee. There were no objections. The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes. TENNY/ELLIOTT CARRIED
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
Janice Dils introduced Letty Hernandez as the new A.S. Office Supervisor for Government Affairs and Business Services. She also gave information on the study abroad scholarship packets that were distributed to University Council members.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Ornatowski:
- Chancellor White met with the CSSA board to discuss the tuition increase.
- Gave a timeline of when the Board of Trustees will begin discussion and voting on this tuition increase.
- Registration for spring will open in the first week of November and for fall in April or May.
- The University Senate will evaluate the new waitlist system.
- There is a discussion going on that whether or not the CSU and/or SDSU should declare themselves as sanctuary campuses regarding the recent election.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa:
- The Educational Opportunity Program has moved to Aztecs Mesa and construction has begun.
- Economic Crisis Response Team is partnering with Live Well Aztecs to put on an event on how to make healthy choices on November 30 at 5pm in Visionary Suite.
- He will leave at 5pm for Guardian Scholars event.
- University Council Check-in:
- College council representative discussed any concerns or collaboration with each other.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached. TENNY/SENSION CARRIED
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full copy of the agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
- Selecting a University Council representative to the Appointments and Review Ad-hoc Committee (Action): It was moved and seconded to appoint Sarah Bentley as the University Council representative to serve on the Appointments and Review Ad-hoc Committee. SHAPIRO/ELLIOTT CARRIED
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS:
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Early registration will be implemented in Spring 2018.
- The first General Education Reform meeting will be this Friday.
- Please follow ASNowaste on twitter and spread the word!
- Mobile Food Pantry will be every Thursday at the Farmer’s Market from 10-3pm in North Library Walkway.
- Jamie Miller, President:
- Hosted the last A.S. office hours in the Center for Intercultural Relations last Wednesday.
- Will be tabling at MEChA’s High School Conference. Let Jamie know if you would like to attend.
- The first SDSUApp meeting will be the week after Thanksgiving.
- Jamie is here to talk if you have any questions or concerns.
- Please sign up for University Senate Committees!
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Gave back letters from retreat to everyone.
- The first round of Men’s Soccer for the NCAA is tomorrow at 7pm.
- There is a basketball game tonight! If you need tickets, let Patty know.
- Next meeting is December 7 as well as the Holiday Dinner.
- Is in the process of planning spring retreat.
- Aztecs Achievement Awards is on April 20.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- Went to City Hall meeting to advocate against the city ordinance. However, it was voted yes by the City Council. He will be doing phone banking to Mayor Faulconer to ask him to veto this.
- Elections viewing party went very well!
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger reveal is postponed until Friday December 2 from 11-12pm in the Goldberg Courtyard.
- Gave a budget presentation for the College of Arts and Letters.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- The Board of Trustees had a meeting today and the CSU reported that they will not report undocumented students.
- If you have questions regarding the study abroad scholarship packets, please ask the front desk!
- 360 reviews on the execs will be coming soon.
- Michael Kagan, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Updated everyone on the progress of having religious dietary options at State. Aztec Shops will put stickers on food that certifies Halal. The committee is also looking into possible vendors on campus.
- If you have any social media request, please fill out the Graphics Request Form on Sunday of the week you want it to be posted.
- Chloe Sension, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Research and Assessment Committee is looking into collecting data from the past 5 years of A.S. on average GPA, ethnicity, and etc.
- Visited Judicial Affairs Council this week. JAC is working on creating a new process for changing the structure.
- Will be attending the Campus Fee Advisory Committee meeting on Friday.
- Encouraged everyone to start thinking about goals for the spring semester.
- Dustin Pina, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Is very excited to attend MEChA’s High School Conference.
- Shoutout to everyone to advocated on the city ordinance.
- College of Arts and Letters:
- CAL & Undeclared Expo was very successful!
- Please visit the website www.tuition.calstatestudents.org for more information on the tuition increase.
- College of Business:
- Is working on the Business Achievement Awards event.
- College of Education:
- Elected 3 Co-Event Chairs.
- President and Vice President are graduating this semester.
- Education in the Real World is on November 30.
- College of Engineering:
- Had a presentation on the Leadership Certificate.
- College of Health and Human Services:
- 1. College Council Expo is on December 1 from 12-2pm.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- Lend a Hand campaign is happening right now until November 30.
- PSFA Fair is on December 1.
- Paintball with Faculty is on December 3.
- College of Sciences:
- There will be a financial presentation on November 30.
- Graduate Student Association:
- Grad Life 101 is tomorrow at Scripps Cottage at 5pm.
- Undeclared College:
- Had a successful collaboration with CAL!
- Please follow asNowaste on twitter!
- Michael Kagan thanked everyone for participating in Miracle Week for Aztecs Dance Marathon.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. SENSION/DEFEVER CARRIED
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe adjourned the meeting at 5:37PM.