SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
OCTOBER 19, 2016
COUNCIL CHAMBERS CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Alex Shapiro, Michael Kagan, Chloe Sension, Carmel Alon, Nick Elliott, Ben Delbick (left early), AhnaMia Maranon, Troy Owens (left early), Linsey Santos, Ozair Purmul (left early), Daniel DeFever, Gass Hersi (left early), Asha Abdirahim, Samantha Ledesma, Mitchell Frame (left early), Amy Newell, Lauryn Davis, Imani White, Shawn Tenny (late), Dustin Pina, Dakota DeCecco, Victor Uwakwe, Kyle Ruiz.
- Voting Members Absent: Josh Skolnick, Imahn Moshksar.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski, Christina Brown, Linh Phan.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Vitaliano Figueroa.
- Visitors Present: McKinley Kane, Dr. Sandra Cook, Sarah Bentley.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda. DEFEVER/UWAKWE CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes. ELLIOTT/MILLER CARRIED
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
McKinley Kane , Student Support Commission Representative, spoke about Your Voice Matters campaign. The kick-off week is next week, October 24-28. She encouraged everyone to attend the Town Hall event on October 28 as there will be conversations on community well-being and safety.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Ornatowski:
- The CSSA rejected the Chancellor Office’s request for the 5% raise in tuition next year.
- Encouraged everyone to read more on proposition 55.
- The Provost constituted a working group to work on the general education recommendations from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
- CSU Academic Conference will be held at SDSU from February 9-10.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa: None.
- Enrollment Management Update-Dr. Sandra Cook, Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs (Time Certain 4:00pm):
- Dr. Cook provided statistics on enrollment since 1999 until recent. She explained the efforts the university has done to breach certain gaps and how these actions will support the Graduation Initiative 2025.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached. MILLER/DELBICK CARRIED
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full copy of the agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS:
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- College Council Fair is on December 1. More information will be available after the Academic Affairs meeting this Friday.
- Met with the Provost to discuss partnering with the IT department about academic advising.
- He is very glad to have students sit on the University Senate committees and encouraged everyone to bring back notes.
- Jamie Miller, President:
- Encouraged everyone to attend the Town Hall event for Your Voice Matters.
- If you would like a sophomore success presentation, please let Jamie know. She highly encouraged everyone to be proactive and give feedback.
- Compact for Success is on October 29.
- Jamie had reached out to orgs that put on High School Conferences this semester so A.S. can provide help and support.
- Is working on a more service-based learning experience for the Leadership Certificate.
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Reminded everyone to stay engaged during meetings and do not go on your phones.
- Fantastic Friday is this Friday from 2:30-6pm!
- Homecoming is in 2 weeks! Congratulated Ian and Jordan for being selected for Homecoming Court.
- Encouraged everyone to participate in the Homecoming 5k. Link to register is sdsualumni.org/5k
- Please help out Dylan with the last week of Rock the Vote and Alex with Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- The Board of Trustees will be discussing the increase in tuition on November 15-16. Let Dylan know if you would like to go with him to this meeting.
- Voting for the increase in tuition will be on Jan 31. Dylan will be making a team to attend this meeting as well.
- City Council Debate on the new city ordinance of raising the fine up to $10,000 for noise complaints is Monday October 24. Voting for this ordinance will happen on November 14.
- Last day to register to vote is next Monday, October 24!
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Please change your social media profile picture to Aztecs Rock Hunger logo.
- Venmo blast will be happening in multiple days.
- Let Alex know if you want to request bins for your colleges or organizations.
- Aztecs Proud tabling is tomorrow at North Library Walkway.
- Will post the volunteering link on the A.S. Facebook page again.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger shirts will be in next week!
- ARH will be at the football game collecting donation this Friday.
- Will try to give the budget and funding presentation at UC and CLC meetings.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Tuesday October 25 is the Recreation Field’s Grand Dedication from 12-2pm.
- Gave details about how Your Voice Matters website works.
- Michael Kagan, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Has personally done walk-arounds for Aztecs Rock Hunger and Rock the Vote and highly encouraged everyone to do the same
- Will meet with MarComm about rebranding A.S. Live.
- Michael and Patty are representatives on the University Senate’s Undergraduate Curriculum Committee.
- Chloe Sension, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Has been working on establishing the Research and Assessment Committee.
- She really enjoyed the All Council Training last week!
- Dustin Pina, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Is working with local middle schools to develop a mentorship program.
- Encouraged everyone to pitch about the vacant A.S. rep positions in your classrooms.
- College of Arts and Letters:
- Is working on the CAL and Undeclared Expo.
- Sarah Bentley has been selected as the new A.S. rep.
- College of Business:
- Luncheon is next Wednesday at 11am.
- Bowling event is from 5-9pm tomorrow.
- Finished the video project for College of Business.
- College of Education:
- Is still in the process of looking for a new A.S. rep.
- Is planning an event called Education in the Real World where professionals come and share experiences with students.
- College of Engineering:
- Pumpkin drop will be November 9 from 1-3pm.
- The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers is working on developing an app to show how many parking spots are available in parking structures.
- College of Health and Human Services:
- Main focus right now is helping out Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- Lend a Hand campaign to provide backpack for the homeless is the main focus this semester.
- College of Sciences:
- Discussed the pros and cons of having a pre-health emphasis.
- Graduate Student Association:
- Election for vacant positions is this Friday. Please send graduate students of your colleges.
- Polos are available in the A.S. office!
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. FRAME/RUIZ CARRIED
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe adjourned the meeting at 5:32PM.