SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
COUNCIL CHAMBERS CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Michael Kagan, Chloe Sension, Carmel Alon, Nick Elliott, Ben Delbick, AhnaMia Maranon, Troy Owens, Linsey Santos, Ozair Purmul (left early), Daniel DeFever, Gass Hersi (left early), Asha Abdirahim, Samantha Ledesma, Mitchell Frame (left early), Amy Newell, Lauryn Davis, Imani White, Shawn Tenny, Dustin Pina, Imahn Moshksar (left early), Dakota DeCecco.
- Voting Members Absent: Alex Shapiro, Josh Skolnick, Victor Uwakwe, Kyle Ruiz.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski, Christina Brown, Linh Phan, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Vitaliano Figueroa.
- Visitors Present: Dr. Randy Timm, Eric Rivera, Christy Samarkos, Chris Thomas, Natalie Martinez.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda. DELBICK/DEFEVER Jamie Miller made a friendly amendment to add a time certain at 3:45pm to item C. Sophomore Live On Presentation. There were no objections. The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes. ELLIOTT/MASENGALE CARRIED
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Ornatowski:
- Encouraged everyone to do research and vote on the Proposition 55.
- The Board of Trustees approved the goals of the Graduation Initiative 2025.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa: None.
- Sophomore Live On Presentation- Eric Rivera, Vice President for Student Affairs; Christy Samarkos, Associate Vice President; Randy Timm, Dean of Students (Time Certain 3:45pm):
- Provided statistics on why this initiative started.
- Answered questions from students and received feedback.
- Will begin conversations on some of the concerns that were raised.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached. TENNY/MARANON CARRIED
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full copy of the agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS:
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Updated everyone on the University Senate’s process of course automatically changing the grades.
- Jamie Miller, President:
- Is working on having boxes and comment cards available at all A.S. facilities for the Your Voice Matters campaign.
- There will be a research and assessment presentation at Board of Directors this upcoming Monday.
- Attended the Graduation Initiative Symposium.
- Reminded everyone that there will be a mandatory all-council training next Wednesday.
- Addressed the A.S. Facebook group incident and reminded everyone to be respectful of each other’s opinion.
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Thanked everyone for staying engaged during the Sophomore Live On Presentation.
- Encouraged all colleges to sign up for Homecoming. Patty will bring pizza if everyone signs up!
- Fantastic Friday is on October 21 in Scripps Cottage.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- Rock the Vote events have been very successful!
- Forms to register to vote are available in the A.S. office.
- Encouraged everyone to switch their social media pictures to Rock the Vote.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: None.
- Michael Kagan, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Is working on providing religious dietary options for students.
- Encouraged everyone to do walk-arounds for Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Chloe Sension, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- The Research and Assessment committee will be researching more data on the Sophomore Live On Project.
- Asked members if they would like a presentation on the difference between a resolution and a referendum.
- Dustin Pina, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Updated everyone on his Aztec Shops BOD meeting. For a book sold at $100, the University only makes $5.
- College of Arts and Letters:
- A.S. rep election is in 2 weeks.
- Is working on the Expo with Undeclared.
- College of Business:
- Signed up for Homecoming!
- Alex gave a presentation on the different types of funds.
- College of Education:
- Will be electing a new A.S. rep.
- College of Engineering:
- Is working on having a pumpkin drop competition.
- Is planning a resume workshop.
- College of Health and Human Services:
- Is finding ways to hype up Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- Is working on a reward system for participating in Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- October 9 is College Council Expo.
- College of Sciences:
- Deans Bowling event is November 2 from 1-3pm.
- Will be electing a new A.S. rep.
- Graduate Student Association:
- Meet on Fridays at 10am in Metzli.
- Please connect with Shawn if you have any graduate student in your colleges.
- Grad student event is on October 13 in Montezuma Hall.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. KAGAN/SENSION CARRIED
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe adjourned the meeting at 5:32PM.