SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
COUNCIL CHAMBERS CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe called the meeting to order at 3:33 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Alex Shapiro, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Michael Kagan, Chloe Sension, Carmel Alon, Nick Elliott, Ben Delbick, AhnaMia Maranon, Josh Skolnick, Troy Owens, Linsey Santos, Ozair Purmul (left early), Daniel DeFever, Victor Uwakwe, Gass Hersi (left early), Asha Abdirahim, Samantha Ledesma, Mitchell Frame, Amy Newell, Lauryn Davis, Imani White, Shawn Tenny, Kyle Ruiz.
- Voting Members Absent: Jamie Miller, Dustin Pina, Imahn Moshksar, Dakota DeCecco.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Vitaliano Figueroa, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski, Christina Brown.
- Visitors Present: Abel Mercado.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda. TENNY/DELBICK CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes. KAGAN/ELLIOTT CARRIED
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Ornatowski: None.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa: None.
- The Deans Panel-the Deans or designees from each college (Time Certain 4:00pm): The Deans or designees of the seven colleges talked about the goals and projects they are implementing for this year and answered questions from the members.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached. DELBICK/ALON CARRIED
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full copy of the agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS:
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Attended the Provost Academic Advising Forum. Norah Shultz, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, discussed the Graduation Initiative 2025.
- Reminded everyone to stay engaged during the meeting.
- Jamie Miller, President: None.
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- Jamie could not be here because she was at the Graduate Initiative Symposium at the Chancellor’s office. She encouraged everyone to fill out the A.S. Leaders survey.
- Polos are coming!
- Encouraged everyone to attend a cultural organization meeting to promote the A.S. Is campaign.
- Please bookmark the A.S. 2016-2017 google drive!
- Homecoming will be from October 30-November 5. Application for student team competition is out.
- Application for Homecoming Court is available. Campus Life Council will be nominating A.S. leaders for Court at their meeting next week.
- Fantastic Friday is on October 21 in Scripps Cottage.
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- Rock the Vote will be from September 26 to November 8. Politifest is this Saturday. Presidential debate watch party is at the Union Theater on Monday. Dylan is in the process of planning a Know Your Constitutional Rights workshop led by Laura Duffy. Tentative date is October 4 from 4-5:30pm in Park Blvd.
- Encouraged everyone to follow up with the Deans to work on goals and initiatives together.
- CSSA went well! Thanked Nick and Carmel for attending.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Overview of the financial video project was approved.
- Had a business meeting at the Garden for the first time since it’s been renamed and loved the food!
- Vice Chair for Financial Affairs Committee was chosen.
- Gave a 45-minutes budget presentation to Recognized Student Organizations this past weekend.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger is from Oct 17-Nov 7. Logo and script have been finalized. Goal is 400,000lbs for this year. The kick-off event will be on October 4 from 12-3pm in the Union.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: None.
- Michael Kagan, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- A.S. Live has been incredibly successful! Average outreach is almost 4,000 people.
- Is working on having a dietary option for religious purposes for students in Aztec Markets or vendor at the Farmer’s Market.
- Will be meeting with Sciences, Engineering and Health and Human Services representatives soon.
- Encouraged everyone to assist the executive officers with their initiatives.
- Chloe Sension, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Will meet with College of Arts and Letters, Professional Students and Fine Arts, and Education to discuss how she can help them.
- Is working with Jordan on having a follow-up segment for the tabling requirement.
- Is in the process of establishing the Research & Assessment Committee.
- Reminded everyone to be prepared for the meeting, such as read the agenda and your college council’s minutes before coming in.
- Abel Mercado, Judicial Affairs Committee Justice:
- Reminded members that when you submit your tabling requirement responses, please include the purpose and give details of the tabling experience.
- Make sure to turn in documents for tabling requirement otherwise it will not count.
- College of Arts and Letters:
- Will be having an Expo with the Undeclared College.
- Will be hosting a Student Success Fee workshop.
- There is a vacancy for the A.S. rep position, please encourage everyone who is in CAL to apply. Application is due October 3.
- College of Business:
- Is working on outreach using social media.
- Is in the process of collecting information on all organizations in the College of Business to connect with the executive board.
- Will work with MarComm to make a video of all organizations on who they are and what they do.
- College of Education:
- Need volunteers for Becky’s House. It is an event for victims of domestic abuse to come with their children for a trick-and-treat on October 29.
- Is looking for an events coordinator.
- College of Engineering:
- Will be using stickers, banners, and shirts to market their college.
- Is starting binders for each organization in the College of Engineering to help them understand how the college works.
- College of Health and Human Services:
- Is making a team for Strides Against Breast Cancer. Goal is to raise $500.
- College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts:
- Is having a College Night to watch the Padres game on Thursday.
- Working on having a social for students and faculty.
- College of Sciences:
- College council retreat is coming up on October 1.
- Undeclared College:
- Will be contacting college representatives for more information about their colleges.
- There will be a Student Panel.
- Graduate Student Association:
- There are many vacant positions within the Graduate Student Association. If you have any graduate student within your college, please connect them with Shawn.
- Had a successful graduate student mixer. There were more than 100 attendees, including international students.
- Ask your professors if they would offer extra credit to support Aztecs Rock Hunger.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. RUIZ/FRAME CARRIED
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe adjourned the meeting at 5:56PM.