Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, September 7, 2016 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe called the meeting to order at 3:33 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Alex Shapiro, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Michael Kagan, Chloe Sension (left early), Dustin Pina, Carmel Alon, Nick Elliott, Ben Delbick, AhnaMia Maranon, Josh Skolnick, Troy Owens, Linsey Santos, Ozair Purmul (left early), Imahn Moshksar, Daniel DeFever, Victor Uwakwe, Gass Hersi (left early), Asha Abdirahim, Samantha Ledesma, Mitchell Frame, America Newell, Dakota DeCecco, Lauryn Davis, Imani White, Shawn Tenny, Kyle Ruiz.
- Voting Members Absent: Carlos Perez, Shaneice White, Gabe Sheehan.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Vitaliano Figueroa, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Chris Xanthos, Marisa Cubing.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda. TENNY/MASENGALE CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
- Marisa Cubing, MarCom Commissioner gave updates on the progress of revamping the A.S. website.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Ornatowski:
- Updated members on the background check policy for employment at the university.
- Fall 2016 Freshman Class is the largest in the CSUs’ History. There were 87,000 undergraduate applications to SDSU.
- State is giving the CSUs 0.05% less funding than in 2008.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa:
- Introduced his background and role as University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee.
- EOP office renovation will be from October to January. The office is moved to Aztec Mesa temporarily.
- New Technology Services for SDSU Students- Chris Xanthos, Associate Vice President and Chief Information Officer for Business and Financial Affairs (Time Certain 3:45pm):
- Introduced himself and discussed his role as Associate Vice President and Chief Information Officer for Business and Financial Affairs.
- Informed council members on the new SDSU ID system
- SDSU Wireless is now secured and encrypted.
- Asked members to give feedback on what students want on the SDSU Mobile App.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full copy of the agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS:
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vice President of University Affairs:
- A.S. No Waste will be using Twitter push notifications to alert students.
- Aztecs Mentor Program application is due September 16.
- There will be General Education Reform based on the recommendation of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges Review.
- Let Chimezie know if you would like to have any speaker at University Council meetings.
- Provost Distinguished Speaker- SDSU Alumnus Matt De La Pena will be coming on September 28 in Montezuma Hall from 2-4:30pm.
- Jamie Miller, President:
- Thanked everyone for attending all the events so far.
- Let Jamie know if you would like to be a part of the SDSU Mobile App committee.
- Patty Masengale, Executive Vice President:
- A.S. Is Campaign will start on Monday.
- Tabling requirements are due Friday.
- Reminded everyone to RSVP to University House.
- Thanked everyone for attending the soccer game!
- Dylan Colliflower, Vice President of External Relations:
- Rock the Vote will be from September 26 to November 8.
- Dylan and his team will be calling Governor Jerry Brown Office to advocate for the bill AB 1914: Textbook Affordability Act.
- CSSA will be hosted at SDSU from September 17-18. Let Dylan know if you are interested in attending or volunteering.
- Alex Shapiro, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Let Alex know if you are interested in volunteering for Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Financial Affairs Committee board has been chosen.
- SDSU will have a float at the Boo Carnival on Saturday, October 29 at 10am.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Highly suggested members to take notes at UC meetings to bring back to their colleges.
- Reminded members to meet with their respective college council presidents to align A.S. goals with their goals.
- Michael Kagan, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- The ASBOD Student-at-Larges are in the process of assigning BOD Student-at-Larges to each college council.
- Encouraged everyone to attend the Aztec Nights, Aztec Dance Marathon this Friday in Montezuma Hall.
- Dustin Pina, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Will be setting up individual meetings to discuss goals and visions for this year with council members.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. DELBICK/ELLIOTT CARRIED
Vice President of University Affairs Chimezie Ebiriekwe adjourned the meeting at 5:30 PM.