Wednesday, April 13, 2016 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Andrea Byrd, Leo Carillo, Blaire Ward, Dominic Bilotti, Tyler Aguilar, Dylan Colliflower, Shawn Tenny, Nate Lloyd, Anthony Lee, Marisa Cubing, Ana Morino, Sergio Cisneros, Paul Sullivan (left early), Pablo Tinoco, Justin Fatoohi, Justin Cho, Erik Tamiyasu, Muriel Robotta, Jonny Semaan.
- Voting Members Absent: Megan Mahdi, Lewis Collazo, Harrison Baum, Keaton Lash, Ian Fielden, Sinthia Garcia, Alexis Dumitrescu, Gervin Prado.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Clayton Bishop for Keagan Casey, Vitaliano Figueroa, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Joey Lucero, Kelsey Moss, Alex Henriques da Silva, Christopher Lujan, Nick Case, Steve DiPaolo.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
Tyler Aguilar made a motion to add a time certain at 4:00pm for an update on the faculty contract by Jessica Rentto. There were no objectinons.
The agenda was approved as amended.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes, as attached.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
- Joey Lucero and Kelsey Moss, Campus Life Council Student-at-Large representatives updated University Council on transition binder to-do list.
- Alex Henriques de Silva introduced the new organization called Aztecs Out in Business. The organization provides opportunities for SDSU’s business LGBTQ+ community.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- University Senate Designee, Dr.Ornatowski:
- Congratulated Ana Morino and Anthony Lee on getting awarded for Quest for the Best.
- There will be a raise in faculty’s salary.
- The university is working on funding the library. All the libraries in the CSUs are going through financial crisis due to increase in e-textbook prices.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa:
- Encouraged everyone to attend the open forums for the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs position.
- “Life after SDSU” is a 4-week series hosted by Career Services to support recent graduates and alumni to make transitions into the working field.
- Visited the San Diego Rescue Mission. If we have a female student who needs a place to stay, the San Diego Rescue Mission offers to help. However, there is still limited resource for male students.
- Updates from Christopher Lujan, Coordinator of the Pride Center at SDSU (Time Certain 3:45pm):
- He gave an update on all that the Pride Center is working on, including gender neutral restrooms across campus.
- If you have further questions and concerns, please email Christopher at email@example.com.
- Faculty contract update:
Jessica Rentto, Associate Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs, gave an update on faculty’s salary.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda:
It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information):
The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
- Selection of U.C. representatives for the Appointment and Review Committee (Action):
It was moved and seconded to select Marisa Cubing, Nate Lloyd, and Sergio Cisneros as the University Council representatives for the Appointment and Review Committee.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
- #UCB S16-01 Resolution in Support of Eliminating Smart Classroom Rental Fees (2nd Reading):
University Council members discussed the resolution and will be voting on it next week.
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Encouraged everyone to sign up for Take Back the Week. It will be from April 25-29th from 10-2pm in the Union.
- Aztecs RAK Race is on April 29th.
- There is a special meeting next week to vote on resolution.
- Blaire Ward, President:
- The A.S budget for 2016-2017 will reflect the increase in minimum wage.
- Will meet with the Muslim Student Association and Dr. Timm in May to discuss demands.
- Conversation on the SDSU App is starting over and will continue next year.
- Leo Carrillo, Executive Vice President:
- Aztecs Achievement Awards is on April 28th!
- Tyler Aguilar, Vice President of External Relations:
- Will be going to CSSA this weekend.
- Dominic Bilotti, Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- On Friday at 12:45pm, there is a meet and greet in State Suite to meet the final candidate for the student Union Director position.
- Introduced Steve DiPaolo, the new Associate Director for Programs and Marketing.
- Anthony Lee, ASBOD Student-At-Large:
- Anthony and Blaire will present results from A.S Leaders Survey at next the Board of Directors meeting.
- Will meet with Dr. Robyn Adams on Thursday about the “Get Involved” project. Projected implementation is Fall 2016.
- On Friday, he will meet with Renzo Lara to discuss student organization branding project with Art 541 to be implemented in Fall 2016.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd adjourned the meeting at 5:12 PM.
APPROVED BY: Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary