Wednesday, March 23, 2016 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd called the meeting to order at 4:16 PM. The Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accreditation Student Open Forum occurred at 3:30pm and concluded at 4:15pm.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Andrea Byrd, Leo Carillo, Blaire Ward, Dominic Bilotti (left early), Tyler Aguilar, Harrison Baum, Dylan Colliflower, Shawn Tenny, Nate Lloyd, Anthony Lee, Marisa Cubing, Sinthia Garcia, Alexis Dumitrescu, Ana Morino, Sergio Cisneros, Paul Sullivan (left early), Gervin Prado, Keaton Lash (left early).
- Voting Members Absent: Pablo Tinoco, Justin Fatoohi, Justin Cho, Megan Mahdi, Lewis Collazo, Erik Tamiyasu, Muriel Robotta, Jonny Semaan.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Clayton Bishop for Keagan Casey, Vitaliano Figueroa, Victor Uwakwe for Ian Fielden.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Christina Brown, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski.
- Visitors Present: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Chloe Sension.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes, as attached.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- University Senate Designee, Dr.Ornatowski: None.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa:
- The conversations with the Western Association of Schools and Colleges Accreditation review team have been going well so far.
- The search for the Assistant Dean position for College of Arts and Letters will begin again. The university will be asking for student support to help with interviewing candidates.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda:
It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information):
The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
- Selection of U.C. representatives for the Appointment and Review Committee (Action):
It was moved and seconded to select Pablo Tinoco, Justin Fatoohi, and Paul Sullivan as the University Council representatives for the Appointment and Review Committee.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs:
- There will be a service project called the Aztecs RACK Race (Random Active Acts of Kindness) on April 29th from 9:30am-1:30am. Andrea will send out the registration form this week.
- Applications for appointed seats are due April 6th at 4pm.
- The resolution will be voted by University Affairs Board this Friday.
- Reminded everyone to promote the Richard Schrock event on April 6th from 3-4:30pm in Montezuma Hall.
- Blaire Ward, President:
- Blaire is in the process of transitioning the AS President.
- Met with President Hirshman today to discuss the resolution and the student demands.
- Leo Carrillo, Executive Vice President:
- Facilities Committee approved the Scripps Cottage renovation.
- Tyler Aguilar, Vice President of External Relations:
- Dylan Colliflower is planning a voter registration drive!
- Tyler is planning a mini-conference to educate student groups on how to advocate at the state level.
- Dominic Bilotti, Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Jennifer Esquivel-Parker for Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Christina is at Association of College Unions International (ACUI) Conference and therefore could not be at the meeting today. She is enjoying her time there and bonding with the staff and students.
- Jen will be emailing out transitioning timelines to everyone.
- Tentative date for the transitioning event is April 30th.
- Encouraged everyone to read the Daily Aztec article on SDSU transgender support in today’s edition.
- Anthony Lee, ASBOD Student-At-Large:
- Took a tour of South Campus Plaza and updated everyone on the project. Each resident’s room will have a bathroom. There are retail spaces on the fourth floor.
- SDSU is in the process of re-affirming its regional accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The Recruitment and Retention of Underrepresented Faculty Working Group Task Force is submitting a "Building on Inclusive Excellence" proposal to implement five measures to grow SDSU’s underrepresented faculty percentage to 17%. Will have Linh or Andrea send the proposal to UC members.
- Dom, Anthony and the rest of Financial Affairs Committee just finished with budget deliberations for the college councils, and other student organizations. FAC will vote on the recommendations on April 4th and groups will be informed shortly thereafter.
- Clayton Bishop for Keagan Casey, ASBOD Student-At-Large:
- Met with Dean Etschmaier about library accessibility. Dean Etschmaier is thankful for the feedback.
- Anthony and Keagan are serving on the Appointment and Review Committee as BOD representatives.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd adjourned the meeting at 5:20 PM.
APPROVED BY: Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary