Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, March 9, 2016 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Leo Carillo, Blaire Ward, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Tyler Aguilar (late), Justin Fatoohi, Shawn Tenny, Nate Lloyd, Anthony Lee, Marisa Cubing, Sinthia Garcia, Pablo Tinoco, Alexis Dumitrescu, Ana Morino, Muriel Robotta(late), Sergio Cisneros, Paul Sullivan, Ian Fielden, Gervin Prado, Jonny Semaan.
- Voting Members Absent: Harrison Baum, Dylan Colliflower, Justin Cho, Megan Mahdi, Lewis Collazo, Ty Yates, Keaton Lash, Erik Tamiyasu.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown, Clayton Bishop for Keagan Casey, Vitaliano Figueroa, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Nick Case, Tagg Hurtubise, Nick Elliott, Anya Shutovska, Jazmin Avalos, Kayla S. Ortiz, Carlos Perez, Brie Hornig, Farris Nabulsi, Samantha Ledesma, Julio Munoz, Dr. Cathie Atkins, Paul Minifee, Suzanne Finch, Julie Wong, Bradley Loomis.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes, as attached.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
Bradley Loomis from Career Services introduced himself to the council and expressed interest in partnering with A.S on different projects.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr.Ornatowski:
- Informed everyone about the upcoming faculty strike.
- The Board of Trustee is meeting this week to approve Destination SDSU.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa:
- The university is working on increasing paid internships for students.
- Updated everyone on the Aztecs Scholar Initiative. There is an increase in recruitment for African American and Native American students.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda:
It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information):
The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
- Resolution #UCB S16-01 in Support of Free Classroom Meeting Spaces for Student Organizations (1st Reading):
Nick Case, an Executive Board member of the Anthropology student organization presented his resolution in support of free classroom meeting space for student organizations. Nick expressed concerns over having student organizations pay a fee of $250 each time they utilize a Smart Classroom for their weekly meeting.
The resolution was forwarded to the University Affairs Board for further review and recommendation.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Nobel Laureate Richard Schrock will be presenting in Montezuma Hall on April 6th at 4:30pm.
- Andrea and Blaire are working on a transportation safety video for campus on regarding the skateboard policy.
- WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) student open forum will be during the University Council meeting on March 23rd.
- Blaire Ward, President:
- Reminded A.S college council representatives to let the presidents of their respective colleges know about the student demands and please bring feedback for Blaire.
- Discussed the protocol of how the university informs students about safety. There is a way for students to sign up to get text messages from the SDSU Police Department. Blaire and Clayton are working on a Safe at State video to bring awareness to all the different services that can help student safety.
- Leo Carrillo, Executive Vice President:
- Aztec Achievement Awards nominations are due March 14th at 4pm. The goal is to have 125 applications.
- Tyler Aguilar, Vice President of External Relations: None.
- Dominic Bilotti, Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: None.
- Anthony Lee, ASBOD Student-At-Large:
- Will be sending a formal written update to all the BOD and execs in regards to a timeline of events for the SDSU mobile app project by March 14.
- Jessica Rentto, AVP of Business and Financial Affairs, gave an update about the Campus Climate survey distributed in Spring 2016. The survey received 33% response rate from SDSU students.
- RSO Tabling expo fair is next Wednesday in Maya and Olmeca.
- Carlos and Tracy gave BOD an update on the tax file on A.S. on Monday’s meeting.
- Updated University Council on the status of the fall charter revisions. All revisions were approved by BOD.
- Clayton Bishop for Keagan Casey, ASBOD Student-At-Large:
- He will be meeting with Dean Etschmaier to discuss accessibility for students in the library.
- Encouraged everyone to submit write-in applications for College of Health and Human Services and College of Education representatives.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd adjourned the meeting at 5:56 PM.
APPROVED BY: Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary