Vice President of University Affairs Morgan Chan called the meeting to order at 3:38 PM.
A. Voting Members Present: Morgan Chan, Helena McAllister, Stav Geffner, Cindy Lopez, Jordan Harrison, Jack Losey, Sean Zaher, Onochie Ani, Alex Ben, Lindsey Schaefer, Marya Edgar, Tasnim El Mezain, Kristina Morales, Raquel Martin, Blaire Ward, Katelynne Willis, Joshua Beverly, Michelle Mitchell, Cameron Wilmore, Alicia Zamudio Montes de Oca, Jake Garelick, Josh Morse, Becca Cohen, Javier Gomez Mariah Kelly
B. Voting Members Absent: Raj Mohanty
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Clarice Mendoza, Kevin Hancock, Jessika Seekatz, Jonathan Cole
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Timothy Quinnan, Dr. Ghada Osman
E. Visitors Present: Corey Polant
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of November 20, 2013.
Jennifer Esquivel-Parker made a friendly amendment to add the Action Item Review for Appointment and Review Committee as Item E under Items for Consideration.
The agenda was approved as amended.
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of November 6, 2013.
University Senate Designee, Dr. Ghada Osman: No report.SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Tim Quinnan: No report.
A. General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
B. General Consent Report: (Information)
The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
C. Council Culture and Council Operations: (Discussion)
The University Council members gave an update on the progress their college councils have made since the last University Council meeting. If anyone has any questions about college councils, please feel free to meet with Morgan.
D. Judicial Affairs Council Report: (Information)
Justice Alexandria Johnstone updated University Council on the council member duties due on Friday at 4 PM in the Government Affairs Office.
E. Action Item Review for Appointments & Review Committee: (Action)
Morgan Chan reviewed over University Council’s representatives on the Appointments and Review Committee and discussed the need for a representative who can attend the established schedule for the Board of Director Student-at-Large interviews.
University Council Nominees: Cameron Wilmore
Cameron Wilmore was approved as a representative of the University Council on the Appointments and Review Committee by acclamation.
A. Morgan Chan, Vice President of University Affairs:
1. Please send out your monthly newsletter by the end of November.
2. The bike lane forum is tomorrow in Scripps Cottage.
3. Inform your peers about the Your Voice Matters campaign and how they can voice their opinions to students who work to listen to their contributions and improve SDSU. Sign your organizations up for a Your Voice Matters presentation.
4. The new smoke-free campus policy is happening immediately. The implementation committee is looking at how to notify the campus using social enforcement.
5. College councils retreat will be at the start of spring.
B. Josh Morse, President:
1. Mentioned the proposed Student Success Fee process scheduled to begin in the spring.
2. Hope everyone kills it during finals week!
3. Have a great Thanksgiving!
C. Becca Cohen, Executive Vice President:
1. Campus Life Council has filled their ASUB and Sustainability Commission Representative seats.
2. The A.S. Government Retreat is on February 1! Save the date now.
3. The AAA’s theme has been finalized. Get ready for a "Masquerade in Red and Black!"
D. Javier Gomez, Vice President of External Affairs:
1. Yevy Kopeleva will be now advising MARCOM.
2. The Good Neighbor Program will be caroling on December 8 in the SDSU community.
3. The Union will be opening on January 22!
4. There will be a holiday party for A.S. Government members on December 4, from 5-7 PM at BJ’s. There will be a $15 gift exchange. Answer the evite by this Friday!
E. Mariah Kelly, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
1. Remember to turn in your receipts to the A.S. Business Office by January 24!
2. SDSU raised 227,000 lbs. of food during this year’s Aztec’s Rock Hunger Campaign! Congratulations to the College of Health and Human Services that raised 11,000 lbs!
E. Jessika Seekatz, Board of Director Student-at-Large:
1. Stav Geffner and Jessika sit on the Undergraduate Research Taskforce. The members will be going out to the college councils to communicate their charge and how they can improve research in each college.
2. Jessika has been working with the college councils.
F. Stav Geffner, College of Arts and Letter Representative:
1. CAL Council’s last meeting is on December 2.
2. Student Research Symposium Workshop – November 25 from 10-11 AM at Scripps Cottage.
G. Alex Ben, College of Engineering Representative:
1. Barbeque Club Mixer was a success. We have now implemented penalties for unexcused absences. We brainstormed ideas for more effective meetings and our goals as a council.
2. Soccer Game – November 22, 2013 at 4 PM on the ENS Field.
H. Cameron Wilmore, College of Sciences Representative:
1. Alicia is leaving. CSSC is looking for a replacement.
2. V-Day – November 20 at 6:30 PM in the Experimental Theatre.
3. Islamophobia – November 20 at 6 PM in LSN 111.
4. AB Samahan – All week on North Library Walkway.
5. Aztec Poet Society made a video: "DRESS TO BE IMPRESSIVE."
6. Campus Movie Fest – November 23 in the Parma Payne Goodall Alumni Center. Doors open at 7 PM.
K. Jake Garelick, College of Sciences Representative:
1. Undeclared Student Forum – December 2 from 2-3 PM at Scripps Cottage.
2. Undeclared College Council Meeting – December 5 from 3:30-4:30 PM in AD 223.
L. Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Advisor:
1. Bylaw amendments are going through the final processes of approval by Judicial Affairs Council and the Board of Directors.
2. Elections packets will be available in the Government Affairs Office on January 24.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Morgan Chan adjourned the meeting at 5:24 PM.