Vice President of University Affairs Morgan Chan called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM.
A. Voting Members Present: Morgan Chan, Helena McAllister, Stav Geffner, Cindy Lopez, Jordan Harrison, Jack Losey, Sean Zaher, Onochie Ani, Alex Ben, Lindsey Schaefer, Marya Edgar, Tasnim El Mezain, Kristina Morales, Raquel Martin, Blaire Ward, Katelynne Willis, Joshua Beverly, Michelle Mitchell, Cameron Wilmore, Alicia Zamudio Montes de Oca, Jake Garelick, Raj Mohanty, Josh Morse, Becca Cohen, Javier Gomez, Mariah Kelly
B. Voting Members Absent: None
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Clarice Mendoza, Kevin Hancock, Jessika Seekatz, Jonathan Cole, Dr. Ghada Osman
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Dr. Timothy Quinnan
E. Visitors Present: Tyler French, Kevin Lovingood, Nick Serrano,
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of October 23, 2013.
Morgan Chan made a friendly amendment to change the time certain of the Judicial Affairs Council report to 3:40 PM. Morgan Chan also made a friendly amendment to add Nominations for Appointment and Review Committee as Item C under Items for Consideration.
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of October 9, 2013.
A. University Senate Designee, Dr. Ghada Osman: No report.
B. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Tim Quinnan: No report.
C. Judicial Affairs Council – Justice, Tyler French, reported:
1. Bylaws amendments are due to Jennifer today. Please e-mail your revisions to her.
2. Excused absence forms are in the Government Affairs Office. Please turn them in three days prior to when you are expected to miss a meeting.
3. The cultural event requirement is due on November 22 at 4 PM.
4. Study abroad scholarships applications will be arriving shortly.
A. General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
B. General Consent Report: (Information)
The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
C. Action Item Review for Appointments & Review Committee: (Action)
Morgan Chan reviewed over University Council’s representatives on the Appointments and Review Committee and discussed the need for representatives who can attend the established schedule.
It was moved and seconded to open nominations for the Appointments & Review Committee.
EL MEZAIN/ANI CARRIED
University Council Nominees:
Alicia Zamudio Montes de Oca
Marya Edgar, Alicia Zamudio Montes de Oca, and Jordan Harrison were approved as the three representatives of the University Council on the Appointments and Review Committee by acclamation.
A. Morgan Chan, Vice President of University Affairs:
1. Academic Affairs Council Flag Football was a lot of fun last Friday. About 25 people attended the game and the Associated Engineering Student Council won. The next morale event for the college councils will be a soccer game on November 15 at 4 PM.
2. Don’t forget about the University House Event after the University Council meeting today.
3. University Affairs Board is working on the upcoming Bike/Skateboard Safety Day.
4. The college councils are updating the rosters of all the academic organizations that sit under them.
B. Becca Cohen, Executive Vice President:
1. ASUB is hosting a free movie screening of "Bad Grandpa" today at the Mission Valley AMC at 8 PM.
2. It is the middle of Homecoming Week! The turnout at the talent show was awesome and Becca was glad to see at least one A.S. government member in each promotional video that was entered.
3. Volunteers needed for the Homecoming Pep Rally this Friday. Please see Becca if you are available.
C. Javier Gomez, Vice President of External Relations:
1. External Relations Board will be having an event promoting voter registration on October 30. Look out for ERB members tabling and student groups performing, including performances from Brandon Pierce and Ryan Smith as well as our own A.S. President, Josh Morse.
2. Come to GNP meetings on Thursdays, 4:30 PM in Aztec Mesa 104.
3. AztecTV will be shooting at the Homecoming game and at the pep rally.
4. MTS will be taking pictures of students exiting the trolley on the way to the Homecoming game. If you plan on participating, wear Aztec gear and be prepared to fill out paperwork.
D. Mariah Kelly, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
1. Aztecs Rock Hunger ends on Sunday! You can still give money and donate to the bins. Volunteers are needed this Saturday to help collect at the game.
2. Financial Affairs Committee has not received many travel requests since the beginning of the year. Remind your organizations that they can still apply for up to $500 towards their next travel.
E. Cindy Lopez, College of Arts and Letters Representative:
1. CAL held their forum on Monday and received a lot of information from students invested in their college.
2. Explore CAL – November 4, 10 AM-12 PM on North Library Walkway.
3. Student Research Symposium Forum – November 25, 10 AM. Location is TBD.
F. Onochie Ani, College of Engineering Representative:
1. Student African American Brotherhood Powder Puff Football Game – October 27, 11 AM-4 PM on the field behind the Alumni Center.
G. Alex Ben, College of Engineering Representative:
1. Engineering newsletter was sent out.
2. The College of Engineering social at Woodstock’s was a success.
3. The Water Works Association is a new organization under the College of Engineering.
4. Engineering BBQ – outside the engineering building. Date and time are to be determined.
5. AESC Public Forum – November 12, 4-6 PM in the Engineering Conference Room.
6. The Engineering Banquet – either the Alumni Center ballroom or in the Student Union at the end of the semester.
H. Blaire Ward, College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts Representative:
1. ROTC Honor Guard is having a fundraiser in La Mesa on Friday. Go to Katie, Raquel, or Blaire for more details. Tickets are only $10.
I. Cameron Wilmore, College of Sciences Representative:
1. Beach Clean-up – October 26, 8-11 AM. Meet at 7 AM at Mission Beach.
2. Open Forum – November 13, 2:30-4:30 PM in Aztec Mesa 105.
J. Alicia Zamudio Montes de Oca, College of Sciences Representative:
1. CSSC elected a new Vice President, Julia Bell. Congrats Julia!
2. AED Blood Drive Event – November 4.
3. Student Open Forum – November 13, 2:30-4:30 PM in Aztec Mesa 105.
K. Jake Garelick, Undeclared College Council Representative:
1. The Undeclared College Council mixer is tonight!
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
ZAMUDIO MONTES DE OCA/WILMORE CARRIED
Vice President of University Affairs Morgan Chan adjourned the meeting at 4:24 PM.