Monday, November 20, 2017- 7:45 AM
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Kimberly Alli called the meeting to order at 7:56 am in Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Kimberly Alli, Erick Ramirez, Daraja Carroll, Cynthia Medina, Michael Wiafe, Russell Parris, Angelica Espinoza.
- Voting Members Absent: None.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Dr. Lee Mintz.
- Visitors Present: None.
III. MODIFICATIONS OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda
It was moved and seconded to add an Action Item of Approval of Student Support Commissioner interview process.
MEDINA/ESPINOZA CARRIED, (6-0-0)
The agenda was approved and amended CARRIED, (6-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
WIAFE/ESPINOZA CARRIED, (6-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. CHAIR’S REPORT:
Kim asked the members to send her their preliminary class schedules for spring 2018 and she expressed her gratitude for JAC members.
- Attendance: Michael and Angie reviewed the attendance charts. Michael will contact Karthik and ask him to fill out a Request for an Excused Absence form for his four absences. Michael will also be contacting the College Councils Presidents for Business and Sciences to ensure they are turning in the minutes for their college council meetings.
- Proposed Changes to the Bylaws, Codes and Charters: Daraja gave a summary of the visit to the Academic Affairs Council meeting. In regards to AS representatives’ duties, the AS Presidents did not believe the charters need to be the same. In regards to what their charters say about how representatives vote for resolutions, they are going to take that item back to their councils, discuss it further and then speak about it further in their next Academic Affairs Committee meeting.
- Hearing for Chloe Mouw (Time Certain 8 AM):
Chloe Mouw sent a text message to Tanesha Moore, the President of the College of Education College Council, informing Tanesha that Chloe is resigning. Tanesha forwarded that text to Kim. Kim contacted Chloe informing Chloe that unless Kim hears otherwise from Chloe before today at 8 AM, Kim will be accepting the forwarded text message as Chloe’s official resignation. Kim did not hear otherwise from Chloe; therefore, the text message was accepted as Chloe Mouw’s official resignation.
- Student Support Commissioner Selection Process:
As interpreted from the articles on appointments in the AS bylaws, it was moved and seconded to approve the Student Support Commission to will select the new AS Student Support commissioner.
ESPINOZA\RAMIREZ CARRIED, (6-0-0)
- Appointments and Resignations: It was moved and seconded to approve Chloe Mouw’s resignation from the University Council as College of Education Representative.
ESPINOZA/WIAFE CARRIED, (6-0-0)
- Requests for Excused Absences
It was moved and seconded to table indefinitely the request for an excused absence from Michael Glassman for leaving University Council meeting early on 10/18/17
CAROL/MEDINA CARRIED, (6-0-0)
It was moved and seconded to approve the request for an excused absence from Mathew Richman for missing the University Council meeting. Failed due to it being submitted late.
MEDINA/WIAFE FAILED, (0-6-0)
It was moved and seconded to approve the request for an excused absence from Sabrina Laut for missing the Campus Life Council meeting on 10/25/17. Approved due to it being submitted before the absence.
WIAFE/PARRIS CARRIED, (6-0-0)
It was moved and seconded to approve the request for an excused absence from Justin Venckus for missing University Council meeting on 10/18/17. Failed due to it was submitted late.
MEDINA/RAMIREZ FAILED, (0-6-0)
All other Requests for Excused Absences were postponed for the upcoming meeting.
Have a great Thanksgiving!
Kim moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 8:45 am.
ESPINOZA/MEDINA CARRIED, (6-0-0)
APPROVED BY: Kimberly Alli, Chief Justice
PREPARED BY: Jennifer M. Esquivel-Parker, Advisor