SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
JUDICIAL AFFAIRS COUNCIL MINUTES
Monday, March 20, 2017 – 8:30 AM
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Jordan Maharaj called the meeting to order at 8:33 AM in Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jordan Maharaj, Farris Nabulsi, Nicolai Mlodinow, Kim Alli (late), Brie Hornig, Erin Gonzalez.
- Voting Members Absent: Abel Mercado.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Lee Mintz.
- Visitors Present: None.
III. MODIFICATION OF AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting. MLODINOW/HORNIG CARRIED, (4-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes. MLODINOW/GONZALEZ CARRIED, (4-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VI. CHAIR’S REPORT:
- JAC will be having a special meeting on Wednesday at 8am to approve the elections.
- There will be special meetings at 9am to work on the process for proposed changes to the structure.
- The three resolutions are going through the process.
- On April 3, JAC will appoint two justices to serve on the Appointments and Review committee to select next year’s JAC members.
- Updated Bylaws, Codes and Charters: JAC is reviewing the proposed changes to the Last Chance Alternative Section.
- Attendance Charts: Brie will contact Linh regarding reflecting Alex Shapiro’s Last Chance Alternative on the attendance chart.
- Proposed Bylaw Amendments: JAC reviewed the following proposed bylaw amendments.
- BA S17-01 Student Diversity Commission Charter
- BA S17-02 University Council Representative Duties
- BA S17-03 College of Business College Council Charter
- BA S17-04 Board of Directors
- Hearing for Ozair Purmul (Time Certain 8:45am): Ozair addressed the council explaining that he did not know he was missing deadlines. Ana Morino, College of Engineering President spoke about what deadlines Ozair has missed and the lack of communication. It was moved and seconded to remove Ozair Purmul as the A.S. representative for the College of Engineering, for failure to complete his Last Chance Alternative duties in the timeline he agreed upon when they were assigned. MLODINOW/GONZALEZ CARRIED, (3-2-0)
- Appointments and Resignations: It was moved and seconded to approve the appointments and resignations memo, as attached. ALLI/HORNIG CARRIED, (5-0-0)
- Requests for Excused Absences: It was moved and seconded to approve the request for an excused absence from Erin Gonzalez for missing the JAC meeting on 3/13/17. MLODINOW/ALLI CARRIED, (5-0-0) It was moved and seconded to approve the request for an excused absence from Curtis Copin for missing the CLC meeting on 3/15/17. MLODINOW/ALLI CARRIED, (5-0-0) It was moved and seconded to approve the request for an excused absence from Shelah Ott for missing the CLC meeting on 3/15/17. HORNIG/ALLI CARRIED, (5-0-0)
- Elections Committee Minutes: None.
- Awards Committee Minutes: None.
- 1AAPI Music Media and Pop Culture event sponsored by APSA is on Wednesday from 4-6pm in the Theatre.
- Students for Justice in Palestine event with panel for Boycott Divestment and Sanction is tonight at 7pm in the Theatre.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 9:36AM. MLODINOW/NABULSI CARRIED, (5-0-0)