SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
JUDICIAL AFFAIRS COUNCIL MINUTES
Monday, November 28, 2016 – 8:30 AM
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Jordan Maharaj called the meeting to order at 8:36 AM in Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jordan Maharaj, Farris Nabulsi, Erin Gonzalez, Nicolai Mlodinow, Brie Hornig, Abel Mercado (left early), Kim Alli (late).
- Voting Members Absent: None.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Lee Mintz.
- Visitors Present: Ellen Rydell, Veronica Perondi, Alex Shapiro.
III. MODIFICATION OF AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
There was an amendment to change Action Item E. Approval of the Spring Semester Meeting Schedule to Info Item D. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. CHAIR’S REPORT:
Study abroad applications are due in two days to the A.S. office. Jordan also reminded everyone to sign up for secret snowflake.
- Attendance: Jordan is inviting Mustafa in to the next JAC meeting regarding his attendance and is sending a notice to Alessandra Casey and Mitchell Frame.
- A.S. Leaders Duties: Jordan is inviting Dylan Colliflower, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Alessandra Casey, Curtis Copin, Meghan Andrade, Ozair Purmul, Imahn Moshksar, and Shawn Tenny to next JAC meeting on December 5 because they did not complete their duties.
- Proposed Changes to the Bylaws, Codes and Charters (Information): The proposed changes were reviewed.
- #CA 16-01 Proposed Changes to the Structure: Jordan reviewed the proposed changes and asked for feedback.
- #CA 16-02 Council Member Duties
- #CA 16-03 Elections Code: Jordan reviewed the updates made to the elections code.
- #CA 16-04 Community Service Commission Charter
- #CA 16-05 Aztec Student Union Board Charter (Time Certain 9am): Ellen and Veronica explained their charter changes.
- #CA 16-06 Sciences College Council Charter
- #CA 16-07 Arts and Letters College Council Charter
- #CA 16-08 Professional Studies and Fine Arts College Council Charter
- Spring Semester Meeting Schedule: Postponed until next week.
- Selection of JAC member to the Appointments and Review Ad-hoc Committee (Time Certain 8:40pm): It was moved and seconded to select Nicolai Mlodinow as the JAC representative to serve on the Appointments and Review Ad-hoc Committee.
- Hearing for Alex Shapiro (Time Certain 8:45pm): It was moved and seconded to assign Alex Shapiro 2 additional cultural events and 1 additional hour of tabling for missing the Board of Directors meetings.
- Appointments and Resignations: It was moved and seconded to approve the appointments and resignations memo, as attached.
- Requests for Excused Absences: It was moved and seconded to approve the request for an excused absence from Dakota DeCecco for missing the University Council meeting on 11/16/16.
It was moved and seconded to approve the request for an excused absence from AhnaMia Maranon for missing the University Council meeting on 11/16/16.
The request failed because it was not turned in by the deadline for a non-emergency request.
It was moved and seconded to table indefinitely the request for an excused absence from Ozair Purmul for missing the University Council meeting on 11/16/16.
- Approval of the College Representative Seats: It was moved and seconded to approve the college representative seats.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 9:53 AM.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary