SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
JUDICIAL AFFAIRS COUNCIL MINUTES
Monday, April 25, 2016 – 8:00 AM
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Chief Justice Brenna Culliton called the meeting to order at 8:23 AM in Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Brenna Culliton, Abel Mercado (late), Chloe Sension, Jordan Maharaj, Mustafa Alemi, CJ O’Brien.
- Voting Members Absent: David Ellman.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Lee Mintz.
- Visitors Present: Sergio Cisneros, Anthony Lee, Nicolai Mlodinow.
III. MODIFICATION OF AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda.
It was moved to add Appointments and Review Committee minutes to and approval of the 2017 Elections schedule to the agenda.
There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED, (4-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes from 4/18/2016, as attached.
MAHARAJ/SENSION CARRIED, (4-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
Sergio Cisneros thanked the JAC for their good work this year.
VI. CHAIR’S REPORT:
Brenna thanked the JAC for all they did this year.
- Attendance Charts: The attendance charts were reviewed and discussed. Jordan will be emailing warnings to Meghan Andrade and Patty Masengale.
- Transition Binders: Brenna asked the council to make their final edits to the google document by the end of the day tomorrow.
- Appointment and Review Committee Minutes:
It was moved and seconded to approve the Appointment and Review Committee minutes for 4/23/16, as attached.
SENSION/MAHARAJ CARRIED, (4-0-0)
- Appointments and Resignations: It was moved and seconded to approve the Appointments and Resignations Memo, as attached.
O’BRIEN/ALEMI CARRIED, (4-0-0)
- Requests for Excused Absences: It was moved and seconded to approve the request for an excused absence from Keaton Lash, for missing the University Council meeting on 4/20/2016, as attached.
MAHARAJ/MERCADO FAILED, (0-5-0)
- Awards Committee Minutes:
It was moved and seconded to approve the Awards Committee minutes for 4/18/16, as attached.
SENSION/MAJARAJ CARRIED, (5-0-0)
- Member Duties Recap: It was moved and seconded to approve the Members Duties Recap, as attached, with the notation that Jordan will contact Dylan Colliflower.
MAJARAJ/SENSION CARRIED, (5-0-0)
- Fall 2016 Meeting Schedule and 2017 Elections Schedule:
It was moved and seconded to approve the Fall 2016 Meeting Schedule and 2017 Elections schedule, as attached.
SENSION/O’BRIEN CARRIED, (5-0-0)
- Proposed Amendments to Bylaws, Codes and Charters: Proposed changes to the bylaws, codes and charters were reviewed and discussed.
- #BA S16-07: Aztec Student Union Board:
It was moved and seconded to postpone the approval of the Aztec Student Union Board until summer until there can be further review.
SENSION/O’BRIEN CARRIED, (5-0-0)
- #BA S16-01: Research and Assessment Committee: It was moved and seconded to approve the Research and Assessment Committee Charter with the amendments as attached, with the stipulation that a process for proposing changes to the new structure be in place by the fall semester.
SENSION/ELLMAN CARRIED, (5-0-0)
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 10:02 AM.
SENSION/MERCADO CARRIED, (5-0-0)
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary