SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
JUDICIAL AFFAIRS COUNCIL MINUTES
Monday, February 29, 2016 – 8:30 AM
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Chief Justice Brenna Culliton called the meeting to order at 8:35 AM in Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Brenna Culliton, Jordan Maharaj, David Ellman, Mustafa Alemi, CJ O’Brien, Chloe Sension, Abel Mercado(late).
- Voting Members Absent: None.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Lee Mintz.
- Visitors Present: Megan Goodman, Vivian Lee, Chris Thomas, Keagan Casey, Miranda Koster.
III. MODIFICATION OF AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda.
Brenna Culliton made a friendly ammendment add Information item B. Resolution Dates and item C. Dean Etschmaier Review. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED, (5-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of 2/22/16, as attached.
SENSION/ELLMAN CARRIED, (5-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. CHAIR’S REPORT:
- Attendance Charts: Jordan is sending out messages to Vanessa Girard, Vivian Lee, Paul Sullivan, Lewis Collazo, and Ty Yates regarding their attendance.
- Resolution Dates: Resolutions are due Friday, March 4th.
- Dean Etschmaier Review: Mustafa Alemi along with Chloe Sension agreed to be a nominee for the Dean Etschemaier Review Panel.
- Appointments and Resignations: It was moved and seconded to approve the Appointments and Resignations memo, as attached.
Owen McCollum was added as a student-at-large on the Elections Committee.
The memo was approved as amended.
- Requests for Excused Absences: It was moved and seconded to approve the request for an excused absence from Trevor Yarnall for missing the Campus Life Council meeting on 2/17/2016, as attached.
MAHARAJ/SENSION FAILED, (0-6-0)
It was moved and seconded to approve the request for an excused absence from Jonny Semaan for missing the University Council meeting on 2/24/2016, as attached.
ELLMAN/O’BRIEN FAILED, (0-6-0)
It was moved and seconded to approve the request for an excused absence from Paul Sullivan for missing the University Council meeting on 2/24/2016, as attached.
ALEMI/ELLMAN FAILED (0-6-0)
- Elections Committee Minutes: It was moved and seconded to approve the Elections Committee minutes for 2/26/2016, as attached.
MERCADO/MAHARAJ CARRIED, (6-0-0)
- Awards Committee Minutes: It was moved and seconded to approve the Awards Committee minutes for 2/22/2016 and 2/24/2016, as attached.
SENSION/MERCADO CARRIED, (6-0-0)
- Last Chance Alternatives: It was moved and seconded to approve a last chance alternative for Vivian Lee. She has class until 5:30pm and therefore will be missing CLC meetings. Vivian is assigned to table for 2 and ½ hours a month, and will try to find a delegate to attend in her place but it is not mandatory.
SENSION/ELLMAN CARRIED, (6-0-0)
It was moved and seconded to approve a last chance alternative for Chris Thomas. He will be arriving 45 minutes late to CLC meetings. Chris is assigned to table an extra 2 hours a month and will try to find a delegate in his place but it is not mandatory.
O’BRIEN/ELLMAN CARRIED, (6-0-0)
It was moved and seconded to approve a last chance alternative for Keagan Casey. He will be missing UC meetings every Wednesday due to class, as attached. Keagan is assigned to meet with his designee for one 90 minutes meeting to discuss what occurred at UC meetings. In addition to that, Keagan will be meeting with CAL and CHHS reps to hear progress updates monthly for 1 hour, as attached.
MAHARAJ/MERCADO CARRIED, (6-0-0)
It was moved and seconded to approve a last chance alternative for Megan Mahdi. She will not be able to go to UC meetings until 4:30pm. Megan is assigned to table an additional 2 hours and visit 2 engineering clubs monthly or choose whichever is most effective.
ELLMAN/O’BRIEN CARRIED, (5-0-1)
Brenna will be informing all Last Chance Alternatives to remind them they will be responsible for February.
Ty Yates, Lewis Collazo and anyone who did not turn in their make-up requirements will be called in for hearings next week.
- Residence Education Office is hosting a series of events this week
- Muslim Student Association will be hosting an event called Shattered Glass on March 1st at the Theater @6pm.
- Nomination for AAAS are available.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 9:53 AM.
SENSION/O’BRIEN CARRIED, (5-0-0)
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary