Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, November 10, 2021 - 4:30pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. Executive Vice President, Karina Esteban called the meeting to order at 4:49 p.m. PT.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Karina Esteban, Austin Barber, Shawki Moore, Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Simran Jain, Sophia Koch, Nina Go, Brandon Bartosh, Charlie Sallee, Sathya Saravanan, Ava Grell, Aly Moore, Simran Jain, Stephen Jackson, Ari Weizman
- Voting Members Absent: Ashley Tejada, Jacq Banal, Michael Rosti, Yasmine Shead
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Dr. Andrea Dooley, Janice Dils
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Noah Wilson
- Guests: None.
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the Campus Life Council agenda of November 10, 2021.
GO/JACKSON CARRIED (15-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of 10/27/21.
JACKSON/WEIZMAN CARRIED (15-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT - None.
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs and Campus Diversity Designee: Dr. Andrea Dooley reported on the following:
- The Native American Resource Center will open on Tuesday, Nov. 30, in the West Commons.
- The Aztec Recovery Initiative will be having a bowling event on Nov. 17.
- Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, starts on Nov. 15 and will provide resource information on basic needs, Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT), and will have a food demonstration from Mobi.
- Provided an update regarding COVID, flu and booster vaccines.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda.
OCHOA/JAIN CARRIED (15-0-0)
VIII. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Aztec Student Union Board (ASUB): Physical tour highlighted sustainability. Videos of the student union. The 2nd and 3rd floor is closed off right now, Red ID update.
- Campus Community Commission (CCC): 441 pounds of trash collected during the Good Neighbor Program Clean Up on Oct. 31. Working on a residential hall resource on how to be a Good Neighbor. Working on composting graphics.
- Community Service Commission (CSC): Career Services presented on leadership opportunities. Preparing for the spring semester.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission: The ARC is now open! Received feedback from guests that the ARC is cramped. They are receiving new equipment.
- Student Diversity Commission (SDC): Always looking for new members, especially representatives from the Student Ability Success Center (SASC), Adaptive Athletics, and Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC).
- Student Support Commission (SSC): SDSU Basic Needs Resource Fair is from 10 a.m. -2 p.m.
- Sustainability/Green Love Commission: Green Love Bag Series (GLBS) was today and it was successful. We have a bonding event with San Diego Coast Keeper for a Mission Beach clean up. The next meeting we will have a nutrition presentation from Well Being and Health Promotion. Excited for GreenFest.
- Student-at-Large Campus Representatives: Working on Your Mental Health Matters initiative.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Will begin to have a general body member of the month, highlighting a member to see a day in their life.
- Board of Directors Students-at-Large:
- Simran reported on updates to the strategic plan activities 15-17, including getting the principles on paper.
- Stephen reported that he is working on a portal for community service.
- Executive Vice President: Karina reported on the following:
- Homecoming Week is this week! There is Trivia Night tonight in the Courtyard, War Memorial Ceremony and the National Panhellenic Yard Show on Friday evening. The Homecoming Fun Run/5K is on Saturday morning. The game is in Carson at 7:30 p.m.
- Thank you to the Your Mental Health Matters team, especially fellow CLC members, Lauren, Mayah, Ava, Orlando and Brandon.
- President: No report.
- Vice President of External Relations: Shawki Moore reported on the following:
- ‘Cocoa and Conversation’ event will be held in the Courtyard of the student union, December 2 at 2:30 p.m.
- A.S. Marketing and Communications Committee will start highlighting a general body member of the month and will be highlighting a board, committee or commission (BCC) member in a 30-second ‘Day in the Life’ on social media.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Austin Barber reported on the following:
- There are four days left to donate to Aztecs Rock Hunger! A.S. raised 71,178 pounds of food donated on ARH Push Day yesterday.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Jennifer Schenkenfelder reported on the following:
- The College Council Retreat is scheduled for Sunday, November 14, the day after Homecoming.
- Working on course availability for the spring.
- Having discussions with the Academic Affairs Committee regarding advising and Saturday exams.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- We will be hosting an A.S. alumni suite at the Homecoming game.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:25 p.m.
JACKSON/JAIN CARRIED (15-0-0)