Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, October 13, 2021 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. Executive Vice President, Karina Esteban called the meeting to order at 3:36 p.m. PT.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Karina Esteban, Ashley Tejada, Shawki Moore, Austin Barber, Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Simran Jain, Sophia Koch, Nina Go, Brandon Bartosh, Michael Rosti, Charlie Sallee, Sathya Saravanan (late), Liv Humphrey, Ava Grell, Aly Moore, Yasmine Shead, Simran Jain
- Voting Members Absent: Lauren Samidi, Jacq Banal, Fabiola Moreno, Stephen Jackson, Ari Weizman
- Non-Voting Members Present: Dr. Andrea Dooley, Janice Dils, Noah Wilson
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Christina Brown
- Guests: Jason Buenaflor
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the Campus Life Council agenda of October 13, 2021.
SALLEE/GO CARRIED (15-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minute of 9/29/21.
KOCH/TAYLOR CARRIED (15-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
- FLEX member, Raha Rafie, provided an introduction.
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs and Campus Diversity Designee: Dr. Andrea Dooley reported on the following:
- Provided an update on events on campus to include upcoming Aztec Nights and SDSU Go events and the attendance breakdown of student statuses.
- Started a discussion on how to get students to the home football games in Carson.
- Campus Reels Presentation - Megan Newton, Director of Marketing and Digital Media (Time Certain 3:45 p.m.)
Megan Newton presented CampusReel, a library of videos created by students at many colleges and universities, offering candid, insider perspectives.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda.
JAIN/BARTOSH CARRIED (16-0-0)
VIII. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Aztec Student Union Board (ASUB): ASUB Operations Committee meets on Mondays at 3:00 p.m. Please check out the social justice mural near Starbucks. Working on safety issues on the second and third floor of the Aztec Student Union.
- Campus Community Commission (CCC): Good Neighbor Clean Up is scheduled for the end of the month. Conducting a campus safety walkthrough in November or December.
- Community Service Commission (CSC): Tabled for Breast Cancer Awareness. 75 letters were written and will be sent to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. We are assisting with the Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign. The Student Support Commission (SSC) will be coming to the CSC meeting to speak about the food pantry.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission: The new ARC received temporary certification of occupancy. The new ARC is set to open mid/late November and the complete renovation will be completed in summer 2022.
- Student Diversity Commission (SDC): Working on a student Diversity, Equity, Inclusion plan.
- Student Support Commission (SSC): Conducting walkarounds for food pantry volunteers. Have a new secretary.
- Sustainability/Green Love Commission: The “Park and Picnic” event with Otay Ranch High School, working on a sustainability wall in the student union, and will be tabling for Green Love. Working on bike racks in the new ARC. The second Green Lunch Bag Series will be at Scripps Cottage “Don’t be a Ghoul, Plastic
- Student-at-Large Campus Representatives: No report.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Will be holding general tabling. Shawki did a presentation at MarComm regarding recap of monthly A.S. events.
- Board of Directors Students-at-Large: No report.
- Executive Vice President: Karina Esteban reported on the following:
- The Homecoming theme is “SDSU Together As One”. Homecoming Royal applications are available.
- Currently on the Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) Student executive board.
- Promoting Homecoming on Instagram.
- President: Ashley Tejada reported on the following:
- Planning an A.S. Committee Chairs orientation with David Gamble, A.S. Chief of Staff.
- Working on the wellness piece of the new Aztec Recreation Center (ARC).
- Scheduling one-on-one check-ins with the Board of Directors.
- Attending Activity 8 & 13 Strategic Plan meetings regarding third party revenue.
- Working with Karina Esteban, Dr. Andrea Dooley and Dr. Jennifer Rikard regarding mental health initiatives.
- Attended luncheon with University Relations and Development (URAD).
- Provided an update regarding CFAC.
- Vice President of External Relations: Shawki Moore reported on the following:
- California State Student Association (CSSA) Plenary is this weekend.
- Assembly Bill (AB) 1456 was vetoed. AB 928 passed and it addressed some financial aid aspects.
- A.S. instagram currently has over 6,000 followers and are currently highlighting Filipinx History Month.
- Working with the Center for Intercultural Relations.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Austin Barber reported on the following:
- The Financial Affairs Committee (FAC) elected a new FAC Vice Chair.
- Working on funding for student organizations and funding policies.
- Met with Agnes Wong Nickerson and learned about the SDSU budget.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) is from 10/22 to 11/14. There will be a kickoff event on Monday, 10/25 at 9 a.m.in the Courtyard. This year’s theme is “Welcome Back by Giving Back”.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Jennifer Schenkenfelder reported on the following:
- Having discussions with the Academic Affairs Committee regarding the academic success space and about advising.
- Conducted a walkthrough of the library with Beth Bridges.
- Shared two Your Voice Matter submission to include Aztec Market packaging and natural, shady study spaces outside.
- Had a Basic Needs/Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) presentation at the University Council. Dr. Nola Butler-Byrd solicited feedback from the student leaders regarding faculty/student relations.
- Executive Director: No report.
- Remember to join the Dance Marathon! Having a Chipotle fundraiser.
- If you want to be a volunteer at the A.S. Food Pantry, please sign up for training.
- Reminder that Your Voice Matters is a year-round initiative.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:29 p.m.
SALLEE/BARTOSH CARRIED (16-0-0)