Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, September 29, 2021 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. Executive Vice President, Karina Esteban called the meeting to order at 3:34 p.m. PT.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Karina Esteban, Ashley Tejada, Shawki Moore, Austin Barber, Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Stephen Jackson, Simran Jain, Ari Weizman, Sophia Koch, Nina Go, Lauren Samidi (left early), Yasmine Shead, Brandon Bartosh, Michael Rosti, Sathya Saravanan, Liv Humphrey, Fabiola Moreno, Ava Grell, Ari Weizman, Simran Jain, Stephen Jackson
- Voting Members Absent: Aly Moore, Jacq Banal, Charlie Sallee, Fabiola Moreno
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Dr. Andrea Dooley, Janice Dils, Noah Wilson
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Guests: Kole Wellenstein, James Poet, Kevin Gelfand
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the Campus Life Council agenda of 9/29/21.
TAYLOR/GO CARRIED (20-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minute of 9/15/21.
SAMIDI/WILSON CARRIED (20-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT:
- Former A.S. President from 2006 through 2008, James Poet, and Shake Smart CEO/President/Co-Founder, Kevin Gelfand introduced themselves.
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs and Campus Diversity Designee: Dr. Andrea Dooley reported on the following:
- The A.S. Leaders' Reception at the University House was fun and encouraged the students to keep making connections with faculty, staff and administrators.
- Provided a graduate student insurance update on the town hall.
- Provided an update regarding possible COVID policies for the spring semester, upcoming holiday testing, and COVID/flu vaccines.
- Provided an update regarding Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities and their restorative practices put in place.
- Provided an Economic Crisis and Response Team (ECRT) update in regards to the ECRT Tool Kit.
- University Senate Committee Presentation - Kole Wellenstein, A.S. Shared Governance Assistant (Time Certain 3:45 p.m.):
Kole Wellenstein presented on the University Senate Committees and encouraged Campus Life Council members to participate in the Senate Committees.
- Aztec Student Union Board (ASUB) Presentation: Postponed.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda of 9/29 which consists of minutes from Aztec Student Union Board (9/13 and 9/20), Community Service Commission (9/7), Recreation and Wellness Commission (9/13 and 9/20), Student Diversity Commission (9/9 and 9/16) and Sustainability/Green Love Commission (9/8).
KOCH/JAIN CARRIED (20-0-0)
VIII. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Aztec Student Union Board (ASUB): Cultural Arts and Film Chair is filled. If the commissions would like to collaborate, please let me know. Please check out the mural in the Courtyard from 7-8 p.m.
- Campus Community Commission (CCC): Hosted a Good Neighbor Program Clean Up last Sunday and collected 25.5 pounds of trash. Working with the University Police Department in regards to campus safety issues.
- Community Service Commission (CSC): Tabling for Breast Cancer Awareness in October and will be letter writing as well. Will be holding the Secretary election in the next meeting. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any information or collaboration ideas.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission: There are lights being installed in the new ARC and they are working to get fire marshal approval.
- Student Diversity Commission (SDC): Will meet at the Black Resource Center next week. Working with Jessica Nare to fill student-at-large seats.
- Student Support Commission (SSC): Will be having food pantry training on 10/5 and 10/11. We are collaborating with CCC and CSC to work together to keep students involved.
- Sustainability/Green Love Commission: Provided an update regarding the climate strike and reviewed the demands. The first Green Lunch Bag series occurred and will work on a larger turn out for the next one. We will have a bonding event with Otay Ranch High School’s Environmental Justice club.
- Student-at-Large Campus Representatives: Working on morale events for CLC, like Commission of the Week. Will reach out to the commissions to see how they can assist.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Will be tabling next week instead of having a meeting to promote A.S., boards, committees, and commissions. Will be having secretary elections.
- Board of Directors Students-at-Large: No reports.
- Executive Vice President: Karina Esteban reported on the following:
- Homecoming Royal applications are available and students can self-nominate.
- Will be tabling for Suicide Awareness Month.
- President: Ashley Tejada reported on the following:
- Working mental health initiatives.
- Attended the Senate Executive Committee meeting, SDSU Honorary Task Force meeting, and the SDSU Research Foundation.
- Vice President of External Relations: Shawki Moore reported on the following:
- Highlighting Latinx Heritage Month on Instagram.
- The A.S. Board of Directors approved the letter in support of Assembly Bill 1456 to fix the financial aid system in the CSU.
- The Shared Governance Town Hall is tomorrow at 4 p.m. in the Union Theatre.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Austin Barber reported on the following:
- The Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) campaign is October 22 through November 14.
- The Financial Affairs Committee (FAC) is reviewing A.S. funding policies.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Jennifer Schenkenfelder reported on the following:
- This week is Your Voice Matters (YVM) push week. Reviewed the QR code that takes students to the submissionpage.
- Join the University Affairs Board (UAB).
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- The SDSU Resource Guide is a great resource to utilize.
- There is an opening position for the Graduate Student Association President.
- Karina Esteban was highlighted in an SDSU Newscenter story.
- Tomorrow is ‘Orange Shirt Day’. Wear orange to bring awareness to Indigenous boarding schools. Follow @sdsunativerc (Native Resource Center) for more information on this campaign.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:29 p.m.
MOORE/WEIZMAN CARRIED (19-0-0)