Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, September 15, 2021 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. Executive Vice President, Karina Esteban called the meeting to order at 3:32 p.m. PT.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Karina Esteban, Shawki Moore, Austin Barber, Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Stephen Jackson, Simran Jain, Ari Weizman, Sophia Koch, Nina Go, Lauren Samidi, Aly Moore, Brandon Bartosh, Charlie Sallee, Sathya Saravanan, Liv Humphrey, Fabiola Moreno, Ava Grell
- Voting Members Absent: Ashley Tejada, Yasmine Shead, Jacq Banal, Michael Rosti
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Dr. Andrea Dooley, Janice Dils
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Noah Wilson.
- Guests: Stephanie Dathe, Chelsea Payne, Dustin Adkins.
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the Campus Life Council agenda of 9/15/21.
SALLEE/WEIZMAN CARRIED (16-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES - None.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs and Campus Diversity Designee: Dr. Andrea Dooley reported on the following:
- Student Affairs and Campus Diversity is working to provide student support, a safe environment and a mindful experience for all SDSU students by providing expanded semester long Aztec Night events, SDSU GO field trips, and ‘late night’ pizza.
- Provided a COVID update.
- Provided a spring outlook to include expanded mental health resources and a renovation of the Calpulli Center to include a wellness hub.
- Provided an update regarding lower division and major advising for all SDSU students.
- Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) Presentation - Chelsea Payne, ECRT Associate Director and Dustin Adkins, ECRT Coordinator (Time Certain 3:45 p.m.): Chelsea Payne and Dustin Adkins presented the resources that ECRT provides, highlighting the ECRT Tool Kit for student leaders, faculty, staff and administrators to use as a resource for students who are experiencing an economic crisis.
Ava Grell and Mayah Taylor of the Student Support Commission and Stephanie Dathe, Aztec Student Union Director, informed the Council about the A.S. food pantry in the student union.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- Selection of A.S. Campus Life Council members on the ASJAC Vacancy Ad-Hoc Committee (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve Charlie Sallee as the primary representative and Mayah Taylor as the secondary representative on the ASJAC Vacancy Ad-Hoc Committee.
JACKSON/KOCH CARRIED (16-0-0)
VIII. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Aztec Student Union Board (ASUB): Had over 100 student interests on the ASUB subcommittees.
- Campus Community Commission (CCC): Having a Good Neighbor Clean Up on Sunday, September 26 with College Panhellenic Association (CPA). Planning on collaboration with the cultural centers.
- Community Service Commission (CSC): Looking for non-profit organizations in San Diego to assist in raising awareness. Working with MarComm for a flyer. If you know anyone interested in community service, please email email@example.com. CSC is supporting the Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign. Working with Monarch School.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission: Had the first meeting today. Planning on having guest speakers to speak about mental and physical health.
- Student Diversity Commission (SDC): Had the first meeting last week on Thursday at 12:30 p.m. in the State Suite. Looking at diverse populations within RSOs for SDC representation.
- Student Support Commission (SSC): Collaborating with ECRT. Looking for a secretary. The Commuter Student Board chair is vacant.
- Sustainability/Green Love Commission: Working on new green initiatives. The first Green Lunch Bag Series is on 9/29 at 11:00 a.m. in the Union Theatre. Had a Zero Waste Committee Beach Clean Up.
- Student-at-Large Campus Representatives: No report.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: No report.
- Board of Directors Students-at-Large:
- Stephen is working on a community service portal project.
- Ari is working on an A.S. resource guide for commissions that includes a one-page parliamentary procedure for new members.
- Executive Vice President: Karina Esteban reported on the following:
- Provided an overview of her role as Executive Vice President.
- Latinx Heritage Month starts today.
- Working on the Homecoming theme this year as the Homecoming Steering Committee chair. Please vote for a theme!
- Thank you for coming to the A.S. Mixer. It was a success and we connected with a lot of new students.
- Shawki Moore and I are working with the cultural centers.
- Please respond to the questionnaire I sent to all of you for a possible CLC highlight in the near future.
- The University Leaders Reception at the University House is next Wednesday, September 22 at 5:30 p.m. Please wear your polo, slacks or dress pants.
- Suicide Awareness Month is this month.
- President: No report.
- Vice President of External Relations: Shawki Moore reported on the following:
- Provided an overview of his position at the Vice President of External Relations.
- California State Student Association (CSSA) plenary meeting was last weekend.
- The Rock the Vote (RTV) Leadership Team worked to educate about the Gubernatorial Recall Election. This Friday is Constitutional Day and Grace deVega, A.S. Chief Justice is hosting a Jeopardy game at 12 p.m.
- National Voter Registration Day is 9/28.
- Provided an update about his role as Chief Communications Officer and the A.S. Instagram content in the summer.
- The External Relations Board (ERB) will be having a collaboration town hall with the Your Voice Matters (YVM) campaign on 9/30.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Austin Barber reported on the following:
- Provided an overview of his role as the Vice President of Financial Affairs.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) Leadership Team Vice Chair is Sathya Saravanan. ARH campaign is from 10/22 through 11/14.
- The Financial Affairs Committee (FAC) is reviewing A.S. funding policies.
- A.S. Global Education (study abroad) scholarships were awarded for fall in-person travel.
- Working on University IT projects. Thank you Stephen for being my proxy at the last mysdsu meeting.
- Met with Interim Vice President of Business and Financial Affairs, Agnes Wong Nickerson.
- Attended the President’s Budget Advisory Committee (PBAC) meeting.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Jennifer Schenkenfelder reported on the following:
- Provided an overview of her role as Vice President of University Affairs.
- The first University Affairs Board (UAB) meeting is tomorrow at 4 p.m.
- The Academic Affairs Committee meets on Mondays at 9 a.m. and includes all College Council Presidents.
- Dr. Aniesha Mitchell, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Campus Diversity, presented information about Community Standards and Reconciliation at the first A.S. University Council meeting.
- Met with the Assistant Deans for Student Affairs for each college.
- Meeting with Provost Salvador Ochoa on a monthly basis, monthly with the Library Dean Scott Walter, and bi-weekly with Associate Vice President for Faculty Advancement and Success, Joanna Brooks.
- Your Voice Matters Push-Week is 9/27 through 10/1.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Men’s Aztec basketball will be in-person this year and working on a process to ensure a safe environment at the Viejas Arena.
- Over 800 voters visited the official poll-site on September 14 for the Gubernatorial Recall election.
- Aztec Recreation Center expansion is scheduled for a November opening.
- Fabi announced that the California State University is looking for a student trustee.
- Dr. Dooley announced to log onto Handshake to explore career options.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:02 p.m.
SALLEE/JAIN CARRIED (16-0-0)