Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, September 2, 2020 - 5:00pm
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. Executive Vice President, Bella Martelino called the meeting to order at 5:12 PM.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Bella Martelino, Armando Sepulveda II, Victor Penera, Crystal Sanchez, JR Lauron, Karina Esteban (late), Peter Mitri, Gabby Thayer, Alanie Abron, Ari Weizman, Audrey Carlson (late), Sam Baeza, Ezra Delbick, Jacinda Molina, Taylor Jones, Courtney Parks, Kole Wellenstein, Daniella Luistro, Carissa Fong, Simran Jain, Abigail Tamayo
- Voting Members Absent: Christian Holt, Ashley Tejada, Antonio Marquez.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Janice Dils
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Joyce Chen, iPhone
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the Campus Life Council agenda of 9/2/20.
Armando – Yes Peter – Yes Ezra – Yes Dani - Yes
Victor – Yes Gabby – Yes Jacinda – Yes Carissa - Yes
Crystal – Yes Alanie – Yes Taylor – Yes Simran - Yes
JR – Yes Ari – Yes Courtney – Yes Abi - Yes
Karina – Yes Sam – Yes Kole - Yes
IV. PUBLIC COMMENT: None.
V. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs and Campus Diversity Designee: None.
VI. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
VII. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Aztec Student Union Board (ASUB): Today we had a ‘Live with a Leader’ thirty-minute session with Christian Holt, and was presented by the ASUB Cultural Arts and Film Committee. If you need assistance with any virtual programming, please let us know. ASUB programming will increase in the next couple of weeks. Next week, we will be having, what we usually would call “Get the Scoop”, and we changed it to ‘Talk a Latte’ where ASUB will be discussing all the committees and volunteer opportunities that ASUB has to offer. Students can bring their coffee! It will be Thursday, September 10 at noon. We will also have the first ‘Cooking with Chefs’ event on Wednesday, September 9, at 1:30pm. For this event, we will be collaborating with student organizations to help them promote their RSO.
- Campus Community Commission (CCC): We have been meeting with the CCC leadership team and are working on the goals of the year. We are working on campus safety items, in relation to COVID. Working with the Good Neighbor Program (GNP) Chair, Johnny, and with Residence Education Office (REO) how we can provide some assistance to new students at this time. We also met with potential CCC members today.
- Community Service Commission (CSC): We have planned our ‘meet and greet’ with the new potential student members. Planning on having our first meeting next week and will discuss the importance of service and how it impacts our lives individually. Brainstorming how service will look in the future. Talking with Claudia Martinez fromCareer Services to see how we can incorporate service in resumes. We are excited to start and excited to meet more new students tomorrow.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission: Started meeting with potential members of the commission one-on-one. Been updating with Mark Zakrzewski, Aztec Recreation Director, regarding the ARC expansion detail and also making sure that the reentry plans are going smoothly while keeping everyone safe. Working to set goals for the commission.
- Student Diversity Commission (SDC): We are still settling into our positions. We will start meeting with those interested in our commission. We are trying to figure out when the official meeting time will be.
- Student Support Commission (SSC): Had our first meeting on Monday. Thank you to Abi for coming, as the former commissioner of SSC. Met with the A.S. Food Pantry and we are brainstorming ways to market them and ECRT. Met with Giselle to produce another resource video for the Counseling and Psychological Services. Worked with Crystal regarding the resource guide. We would like to support all your commissions, as well.
- Sustainability/Green Love Commission: Had our first meeting today with so many new faces. It is nice that we have a lot of assistance now. ARC renovation meetings will resume. Our Zero Waste Chair met with Victor Penera.
- Campus Life Council Students-at-Large: We are here for all the commissions to assist with anything that you need. We will be happy to sit in your commission meetings to see how everything is going. We are brainstorming from a new perspective as things have changed on some special projects that we are planning.
- Marketing and Communications Commission: None.
- Board of Directors Student-at-Large:
- Abi informed the CLC that they are doing amazing, especially in this virtual setting. Would love to drop in your meetings. I am here to support you all.
- Executive Vice President: Bella Martelino reported on the following:
- A.S. Expo: The expo was last week. Thank you for making the CLC expo happen!
- New Student Interests: Names and contact information are currently being sent to the chairs and advisors for each board, committee and commission (BCC) by Letty. Please continue to meet with them and answer any questions they may have.
- President: None.
- Vice President of External Relations: Armando Sepulveda reported on the following:
- Megan is stepping down as the Marketing and Communications Commissioner. If you know anyone who is interested in applying for the position, please let us know. More information to come soon.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Victor Penera reported on the following:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) updates: The ARH campaign is coming up very soon! Our second Instagram post was posted today. Please give it a ‘like’ and ‘repost’! Peter Mitri is our Engaged Program Coordinator and has great ideas of how to be involved with the campaign. We have been collaborating with Green Love to promote Zero Waste. If anyone wants to know how to be more involved in the ARH campaign, please let me know.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Crystal Sanchez reported on the following:
- College of Sciences Student Council is having a club fair from 2-4pm on September 4th. Check it out!
- Met with Dean Scott Walter, Dean of the Library last week. The library has a lot of online resources and services that students can use. The library will be closed for four weeks, however the Wi-Fi outside the library dome has improved and is a good place to study.
- If anyone has any questions or concerns about anything University related, like class issues, please let me know.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- The Aztec Recreation started their outdoor fitness program and participants are giving great feedback about it.
- We have expanded more seating around and near the student union and near the Viejas Arena. There is a campus map on the SDSU website of those outside study areas around campus
- You are all having a great start to the year! Please let me know if you have any questions about anything, I am here for you!
VIII. ANNOUNCEMENTS: None.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:48 pm.
SANCHEZ/DELBICK CARRIED (20-0-0)
APPROVED BY: Bella Martelino, A.S. Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Janice Dils, A.S. Government Affairs Manager