Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, January 29, 2020 - 3:30pm
COUNCIL CHAMBERS • CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Kyla Blaylock called the meeting to order at 3:36 PM.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Kyla Blaylock, Christian Onwuka, Dustin Adkins, Angelica Espinoza, Antonio Marquez-Camacho, Kole Wellenstein, Aubrey Benito, Kelly Renton, Kaylah Abdullah, Lindsey Busk, Bri Ruloma (Late), Josh Purificacion (Late), Abi Tamayo, Courtney Ransom, Meghan Mahoney, Daria Dragicevic, Stephen Jackson, David Gamble, Courtney Parks (Left Early), Ashley Tejada.
- Voting Members Absent: George Scott, Cassie Weinberg, Christian Holt, Kiki Charles, Connor Curley.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Nikki Eliaschev.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Randy Timm.
- Visitors Present: Ari Weizman.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Campus Life Council meeting minutes of 12/4/19, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- A. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
- No report.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached.
- Follow-up Discussion re: Spring 2020 Goals: Members paired up and discussed their goals from retreat and goals for the Spring 2020 semester.
VIII. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Kyla Blaylock, Executive Vice President:
- First meeting for the Aztec Achievement Awards (AAA’s) was today.
- The second University Diversity Institute is this Friday.
- ‘Mix it Up’ went well.
- Freedom of Expression Committee is working on new policies that address free speech.
- SDSU basketball game viewing party in Aztec Lanes is on Saturday from 6:00-9:00 pm. The event is open to everyone.
- Christian Onwuka, President:
- Explained the Good Samaritan Policy that was established by the Presidential Taskforce.
- Met with Counseling and Psychological Services to discuss their new marketing plan now that the additional fees for Counseling and Psychological Services will begin in fall 2020.
- Announced the student nominees who will be serving on the five committees for the Strategic Plan.
- Angelica Espinoza, Vice President of External Relations:
- The CSU analytics research will be researching inequalities within the CSU and propose ways to address them.
- California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) applications are out.
- Working with College of Arts & Letters (CAL) and the University Police Department (UPD) to create a presentation about sexual assault for ‘Take Back the Week’.
- Working on ways to best support undocumented students as the CSSA Undocumented Student Lead. The Supreme Court will be voting on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) over the summer and the decision will impact students.
- Explained the proposal for tuition increase for 2020-2021 and reminded students the importance of participating in advocacy.
- The CSSA has decided to write a letter of opposition to the Department of Education’s proposed changes to Title IX.
- Dustin Adkins, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- The A.S. Food Pantry will be piloting ‘food nudging’ in efforts to help students choose healthy options.
- Working on updating marketing and flyers for the A.S. Food Pantry. Will be emphasizing the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) on the updated flyers.
- ECRT received funding from AB74 which will be used for rapid rehousing and help SDSU students who are on verge of homelessness.
- Kudos to GreenLove for creating vouchers for the Swap Shop for ECRT to distribute to students.
- Will continue to work with parking this semester.
- Attending the California Higher Education Basic Needs Alliance 2020 Summit next week.
- A.S. funding is still available for Registered Student Organizations (RSOs).
- George Scott, Vice President of University Affairs:
- No report.
- Antonio Marquez-Camacho, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- 1Plans to listen to his community to help them achieve their goals and to also step outside of his comfort zone and work with a variety different organizations and students.
- Encouraged members to reach out to him if they need support.
- Cassie Weinberg, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- No report.
- Christian Holt, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- No report.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Reminded members that a ‘360 review’ survey of the executive officers was sent out by email. Please take the time to respond.
- CJ Holt spoke on behalf of SDSU students on Mission Valley and and Green Love’s effect on the Environmental Impact Report (EIR) at the CSU Board of Trustees meeting yesterday.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Will vote on the Goodfriend graduate student lounge proposal next week.
- Working on creating and displaying descriptions for the rooms in the Student Union.
- New furniture for the Student Union is expected to arrive in April.
- There is a Super Bowl themed event tomorrow from 12:00-2:00 pm in the Union Courtyard.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Kudos to Kole for attending every meeting to support CCC.
- Good Neighbor Clean-Up is this Sunday.
- Premiered the Good Neighbor Brochure today at ‘Mix it Up’. Copies are available in the A.S. office.
- Looking for student input on campus safety issues to tailor the information at the Campus Safety Fair to student’s needs.
- Plan to create more programming with the SDSU Police Department.
- Collaborating with the Student Support Commission to table for commuter students.
- Community Service Commission:
- Excited about the new event, ‘Campus, Community, Career’. Date TBD.
- Plan to work with MarComm.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- Will be working on recruitment.
- Plan to collaborate with GreenLove.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Hosting A.S. “election tours” that provide information about running in the A.S. election and having a successful campaign.
- Planning for the SDCelebration which will be at the end of April.
- Hosting another SDC Mixer at the end of February in Scripps cottage. Date TBA.
- Student Support Commission:
- Will be recording the resource videos next week.
- Meeting with Aztec Shops next week to discuss the resolution that passed last spring that will enable students to fight food insecurity through donations from their meal plans.
- Goal for the semester is to make three resource videos and leave a foundation for SSC to keep making videos.
- Green Love Sustainability Commission:
- Planning the schedule for semester.
- Attendance for meetings has increased.
- Goals for semester are to continue to work on the goals that were set last semester.
- Working on reaching out to other groups on campus to collaborate.
- Starting the process to obtain a Zero Waste certification for the Student Union.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
- Working on the A.S. newsletter. Will be reaching out members and asking for information about the commissions that can be highlighted in newsletter.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
- Goals for this semester are to create two hype videos.
- Will be “spirit carting” to promote GreenFest.
- Will be promoting the nominations for the AAAs.
- There are two weeks left to register to vote. Angie reminded members that they need to re-register if they moved since the last time they voted.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
APPROVED BY: Kyla Blaylock, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Nikki Eliaschev, A.S. Government Secretary
Executive Vice President Kyla Blaylock adjourned the meeting at 5:00 PM.