Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, October 30, 2019 - 4:45pm
COUNCIL CHAMBERS • CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Kyla Blaylock called the meeting to order at 5:12 PM.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Kyla Blaylock, Christian Onwuka, Angelica Espinoza (left early), George Scott, Dustin Adkins, Antonio Marquez-Camacho, Cassie Weinberg, Christian Holt (left early), Kole Wellenstein, Kiki Charles, Aubrey Benito, Kelly Renton, Kaylah Abdullah (left early), Lindsey Busk, Bri Ruloma, Josh Purificacion, Abi Tamayo, Courtney Ransom, Meghan Mahoney (left early), Daria Dragicevic, Courtney Parks, David Gamble (left early), Connor Curley.
- Voting Members Absent: Stephen Jackson, Courtney Parks, Ashley Tejada.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Nikki Eliaschev, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker (for Christina Brown).
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Christina Brown, Dr. Randy Timm.
- Visitors Present: None.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of October 30, 2019.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Campus Life Council meeting minutes of 10/16/19, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm: None.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached.
VIII. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Kyla Blaylock, Executive Vice President:
- Reviewed the major points from the Mission Valley Steering Committee meeting that
- discussed the plan for the SDSU stadium.
- The A.S. newsletter is going great.
- Reviewed the Homecoming event schedule.
- Looking for volunteers for Homecoming events. Asked members to spread the word.
- Aubrey, Josh, Chris, Kyla, Christina, Patty, and Jennifer attended the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion institute this past Friday which discussed ways to survey students and staff about the campus climate, and ways to improve diversity and inclusion on campus and within A.S.
- The A.S. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee is meeting tomorrow to continue to work on the A.S. Inclusion Statement.
- The Aztecs for Life Blood Drive is November 28th.
- Christian Onwuka, President:
- Attended the 20th anniversary of the Campanile Foundation Celebration last Thursday.
- Spoke with students from several high schools about A.S. and his role as A.S. President.
- The Student Success Fee level 3 final review is on Friday.
- Meeting with the study body presidents and executive officers from UCSD and USD to discuss possible collaborations.
- Working on finalizing the top five priorities within the Strategic Plan and will be presenting them to outside consultants on Monday and Tuesday.
- Angelica Espinoza, Vice President of External Relations:
- Working on a brochure for the Good Neighbor program.
- Acknowledged Native American Heritage month, which begins in November.
- Reminded members that class registration for the spring semester is coming up.
- Explained why CSSA voted against the proposed quantitative reasoning requirement.
- Announced an opening for a part time student videographer.
- Needs volunteers for the Rock the Vote (RTV) Voting isn’t Scary event tomorrow in the Courtyard from 10:00 am – 1:00 pm.
- San Diego mayoral candidates will be at SDSU on November 4th in Montezuma Hall.
- Dustin Adkins, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) is happening now until November 10th.
- The ARH kickoff event last week received lots of media attention.
- Aztec Proud events on November 5th and 7th will be giving out ARH hats in exchange for a $10 donation.
- ARH Fundraiser at Chipotle on Monday, November 4th.
- ARH will be collecting money at the Homecoming football game on November 9th.
- Reviewed the different ways to donate to ARH.
- Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) is looking at expanding its resources.
- Reminded members to check in on those who have been affected by the fires.
- George Scott, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Academic Affairs Committee (AAC) and the University Affairs Board (UAB) are working to create the 2019-2020 A.S. Academic Report.
- Finished filming the international student university prospective students video.
- Presenting at classes for international students about ways to get involved on campus.
- Collaborating with Quincey Penn to work on ways to best support international students at SDSU.
- Will be speaking at the International Education Week opening ceremony.
- Antonio Marquez-Camacho, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Will be presenting at the MEChA de SDSU High School Conference.
- Happy that A.S. folk attended an Education Without Borders (EWB) meeting.
- Spoke about his experience participating in the AB Samahan dance workshop to fulfill the cultural RSO event requirement.
- Cassie Weinberg, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Will be meeting with outside consultants about the Strategic Plan on Monday and Tuesday.
- An Active Minds representative and Delta Beta Tao representative joined the Mental Health Fest planning committee.
- Reminded members to take care of themselves.
- Christian Holt, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- No report.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: Jennifer reported on her behalf:
- Acknowledged the hard work that everyone is putting in.
- Will be posting the elections coordinator position within the next two weeks.
- Working with the Graduate Student Association (GSA) to get involved in all of the commissions. Asked members to encourage and welcome graduate students into these spaces. Christian, Christina and Jennifer are meeting with GSA leadership to collaborate on their goals.
- Dia de Los Muertos event at the Imperial Valley Campus on Friday.
- Reminded members to make sure that they are completing their Cultural Organization and RSO requirement that is due this Friday, November 1st.
- Changes to bylaw amendments are due November 8th.
- Asked members to save the date for the following events:
- Student Diversity Commission (SDC) Mixer on November 20th.
- Final A.S. All Councils Meeting for the fall 2019 semester on December 4th, followed by dinner.
- University House Holiday event on December 5th from 5:30 - 7:30 pm.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Kalan Frfr’s performance was a success but a fire alarm went off during the show.
- Homecoming is next week. Would like everyone to show up.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Expanding the Good Neighbor Program to include more programs like Good Resident and Better Neighbor.
- Working to bring back the Good Greek, Better Neighbor program.
- The personal safety training with the SDSU Police Department went well.
- Cookies and K-9 event will be hosted by SDSU PD on November 21st from 10:00 am – 12:00 pm.
- Barbeque at the San Diego Police Department on November 13th. Entrance is $5 and the proceeds will go towards Shop with a Cop San Diego.
- Community Service Commission:
- Will be writing letters to veterans at the Farmers Market next Thursday from 11:00 am – 1:00 pm.
- Breast Cancer Awareness event went well.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- Wished everyone a Happy Spooktober.
- Encouraged members to attend the Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) financial peer literacy training.
- The Aztec Recreation Center (ARC) will be adding a cycling class on Saturdays.
- Bouldering Challenge at the ARC Wall this past Saturday had over 40 attendees.
- Will be touring the Aztec Aquaplex during the next meeting.
- Finished filming the video.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- SDC Mixer is November 20th on the Third Floor Terrace from 5:30 pm – 7:00 pm.
- Student Support Commission:
- Creating a list of campus resources with QR codes that students can scan to easily learn more about them.
- Visited Fresno’s A.S. Food Pantry during CSSA Fresno, which was very informational.
- Green Love/ Sustainability Commission:
- Would like to work with the Daily Aztec on reporting about environmental issues on campus.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
- No report.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
- Went “spirit carting” to promote ARH.
- Plan to create a MarComm hype video and an A.S. hype video next semester.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
APPROVED BY: Kyla Blaylock, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Nikki Eliaschev, A.S. Government Secretary
Executive Vice President Kayla Blaylock adjourned the meeting at 6:32 PM.