Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, October 2, 2019 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Kyla Blaylock called the meeting to order at 4:35 PM.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Kyla Blaylock, Christian Onwuka, Angelica Espinoza, George
Scott, Dustin Adkins, Antonio Marquez-Camacho, Christian Holt, Kole Wellenstein, Stephen Jackson, Kiki Charles, Aubrey Benito, Kelly Renton, Kaylah Abdullah, Lindsey Busk, Ashley Tejada, Connor Curley, Bri Ruloma, Josh Purificacion, Abi Tamayo, Courtney Ransom, Meghan Mahoney, Daria Dragicevic.
- Voting Members Absent: Cassie Weinberg, Courtney Parks, David Gamble.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Nikki Eliaschev.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Randy Timm.
- Visitors Present: None.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of September 18, 2019.
IV. PUBLIC COMMENT
V. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): ): It was moved and seconded to approve the general
consent agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
Kyla Blaylock, Executive Vice President:
1. October is breast cancer awareness month.
2. Working on the pre-requisite materials for the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
3. Shared governance meeting this past Friday was awesome. Gave a lot of good
4. Announced the promotional items for homecoming.
5. Explained the Homecoming Student team competitions and asked members to
advertise the applications to student organizations.
6. Filming the Homecoming video tomorrow and is looking for volunteers to be in
7. There will be a Homecoming Steering Committee meeting tomorrow to discuss
8. Five freshman students were selected to join the Freshman Leadership
Experience Team (FLEX). Will introduce them soon.
9. Encouraged members to wear their AS polos to meetings, especially when there
is an All Council Training.
10. All Council Training next week is about sexual violence prevention. Asked
students to attend unless there is a personal reason why they would like to opt out from the training.
Christian Onwuka, President:
1. Affordable Learning Solutions is looking for one more student representative.
2. Met with Utah State Leaders two Fridays ago.
3. Working with the Aztec Identity Governing Body Committee to positively
represent the Aztecs and indigenous populations on campus.
4. Gave a report at the SDSU Research Foundation this past Friday.
5. Thanked everyone who came to Strategic Plan meeting last week.
6. Asked everyone to spread the word about the Strategic Plan online survey.
7. Explained the two CFAC proposals that were approved to go through the
alternative consultation process.
Angelica Espinoza, Vice President of External Relations:
1. October 1st marked the start of DiverseAbility Awareness Month.
2. We are halfway through Latinx Heritage Month. Different departments on campus
are celebrating this.
3. Encouraged members to reach out to her if they have concerns about campus
4. Rock the Vote (RTV) events are going well. RTV was featured on the San Diego
5. Thrilled that ERB: Lobby Corps membership has doubled.
6. CSSA went really well. CSU’s social justice efforts will focus on two groups:
Undocumented and LGBTQIA+ students. Is the lead for the undocumented
7. Will have more information soon about the CSSA push for an Ethnic Studies
8. Explained the #CSUSaysitright campaign.
9. Is working with Assemblymember Dr. Shirley Weber to draft a new bill since
AB532 did not move forward. This bill will address student parking permit prices
Dustin Adkins, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
1. Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) is about two weeks away.
2. ARH has two advisors: Brandy Tonne and Veronica Perondi.
3. Shouted-out Stephen, David, and Kyla for helping out with food distribution in
Hillcrest for the ARH video yesterday.
4. Working to get new businesses involved with ARH.
5. Campus partner meeting is Thursday October 10th at 9:00 am. An email invite
was sent out.
6. Financial Affairs Committee approved funds for a new club and to transfer funds
for the Healing Garden. There was a presentation at the meeting explaining the purpose of the healing garden and why those funds are needed.
George Scott, Vice President of University Affairs:
1. Reminded students to take care of themselves and their academics.
2. Account Services developed an AI Chatbot to answer financially related
questions. Will send out the link for everyone to test it out. Would like to discuss
results at the next meeting.
3. Asked members to let him know beforehand if there are any topics from the
University Senate meetings that they would like to discuss.
4. Gave an update about University Affairs Board meeting that discussed the
electric vehicle policy and ride-share programs.
5. ENS dedication ceremony is tomorrow, October 3rd from 11:00 am- 12:00 pm.
Encouraged everyone to come and celebrate.
Antonio Marquez-Camacho, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
1. Working with Augie Garibay to search for an Associate Director for the LatinX
Center. Would like to find someone who is familiar with the students and the
Cassie Weinberg, ASBOD Student-at-Large: No report.
Christian Holt, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
1. The BOD Students-at-Large want to help out the CLC Commissions. Will have
the commissions assigned by next week.
2. Wants to bring up a conversation about the University Police and how they
interact with certain communities, after a student expressed a situation of
racial profiling that occurred on campus.
Christina Brown, Executive Director: No report.
Aztec Student Union Board:
1. There are four ASUB events next week:
a) Monday Night Movie is in the Student Union from 6:30-9:30 pm.
b) Ruby Ibarra is performing on Tuesday in the Theatre.
c) Nooner is on Wednesday in the Student Union.
d) What’s the Word is Thursday night in the Student Union.
2. Asked members to sign up for the Homecoming Student Team Competitions.
The deadline is October 16th.
Campus Community Commission:
1. There is a Good Neighbor Clean-up this Sunday, October 7.
2. Coffee with the University Police Department event is during Family Weekend.
3. Would like delegates from the Identity Centers to sit in on Campus Safety
Community Service Commission:
1. Pop-up service event for breast cancer awareness is on October 15th in front of
the Bookstore. Time TBA.
Recreation and Wellness Commission:
1. Recruitment efforts have been successful.
2. Working on recognizing all other aspect of wellness, not just the ARC.
3. Would like to table during meetings.
4. Lights Out Strike Out event is next Thursday, October 10th in the ARC.
5. ENS field dedication will be a hoot.
6. Working on a video for Rec and Wellness for this year.
7. Shouted-out Kole for being a great member of Rec and Wellness.
Student Diversity Commission:
1. The SDC Cultural Student Organization Fair is on October 10th from 10:00 am –
2:00 pm in the Student Union courtyard.
2. Sitting on the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee for A.S.
Student Support Commission:
1. Food Pantry training this Friday in the Legacy Suite from 3:00 – 4:00 pm.
2. There will be another training on Monday at 10:00 am in the State Suite for those
who cannot attend the Friday training.
1. Events have been going well. 119 people attended the Green Lunch Bag Series
event last Friday.
2. There is a Green Lunch Bag speaker on Wednesday, October 16th who will be
speaking about food waste.
3. Courtney spoke at the MTS Free Ride Day press conference.
4. Finalizing the comment letter from the draft of the Mission Valley Environmental
Impact Report. Will report back soon.
5. Kelly is doing a great job at making Green Mentor groups.
6. Free ride day is today. Hop on a trolley.
Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
1. Working on a newsletter to share with students who are interested in A.S.
2. Developing a competition between the councils and will be highlighting the
winners once a month.
3. Developing ways for A.S. and the commissions to recruit students.
Marketing and Communications Commission:
1. Continuing work on recruitment and outreach.
2. Discussing ways to reach out to underrepresented groups in the community at
VIII. ADJOURNMENT (Time Certain Adjournment 4:40pm)
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Kayla Blaylock adjourned the meeting at 6:18 PM.
APPROVED BY: Kyla Blaylock, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Nikki Eliaschev, A.S. Government Secretary