Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, September 18, 2019 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Kyla Blaylock called the meeting to order at 3:34 PM.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Kyla Blaylock, Christian Onwuka, George Scott, Dustin
Adkins, Cassie Weinberg, Antonio Marquez-Camacho, Christian Holt, Kole Wellenstein, David Gamble, Stephen Jackson, Kiki Charles, Aubrey Benito, Kelly Renton, Kaylah Abdullah, Lindsey Busk, Ashley Tejada (late), Connor Curley, Bri Ruloma (late), Josh Purificacion, Abi Tamayo, Courtney Ransom, Meghan Mahoney.
- Voting Members Absent: Angelica Espinoza, Daria Dragicevic, Courtney Parks.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Dr. Randy Timm, Nikki Eliaschev.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Maxwell Johnson.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of September 18, 2019.
IV. PUBLIC COMMENT
V. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to open the action
- Selection of A.S. Homecoming Royal Nominations (Action) (Time Certain 4:00 pm):
Olivia DiSanto and Josh Purifiacion were selected to be the A.S. nominees for Homecoming Court.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
Kyla Blaylock, Executive Vice President:
1. Filming the Homecoming video tomorrow and is looking for volunteers to be part
of the video.
2. Homecoming Steering committee is having a meeting tomorrow that will focus on
3. Asked members to advertise the team competition applications to student
Christian Onwuka, President:
1. Strategic Plan meeting next Wednesday from 3:30 – 5:00 pm. Asked members to
2. Will have updates on IT and mySDSU.
3. Student Conversations with President Adela de La Torre went well.
4. Was a keynote speaker at the Town Hall on Ethnic Studies.
Angelica Espinoza, Vice President of External Relations:
1. Will be highlighting Latinx Heritage Month and other heritage months throughout
2. Voter Registration Training tomorrow in the Council Chambers from 6:00 – 7:00
3. Will be attending CSSA San Marcos this weekend.
4. Serving on the search committee for the new WRC Assistant Director.
5. Working with the President’s Office and the State University of Baja
California on a conference and is looking for student artwork that reflects trans-border experiences to showcase at the event.
Dustin Adkins, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
1. Aztecs Rock Hunger will be part of the Great Give on September 25th.
2. Financial Affairs Committee is going well.
3. Codifying policies in the CPF Funding to make information clear to students.
George Scott, Vice President of University Affairs:
1. Working on contacting equal opportunity employers for the SDSU Career Fair
who are willing to sponsor different types of visas to reach more students through the fair.
2. The third architecture update for the ARC took place. Student input was very
valuable when creating the design.
3. UAB will be addressing the Electric Vehicle policy that was implemented this fall
at their next meeting. UAB is still recruiting members.
Antonio Marquez-Camacho, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
1. Plans to find employers for the Career Fair for journalism and film majors.
Cassie Weinberg, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
1. Mental Health Week has changed from five days to two days. Dates TBA.
2. Is working with Factfinders to find students who would like to participate in a trip
to Israel during Winter Break.
Christian Holt, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
1. Working on connecting REO and RHA with A.S.
Christina Brown, Executive Director: No report.
Aztec Student Union Board:
1. Will be reviewing the building guidelines. They have not been updated since
2. Changing all gendered bathroom indicators in the building to say “restroom”.
3. There were 1,400 attendees at Lite it Up.
4. Treat Yourself is on September 21st in Montezuma Hall from 10:00 pm – 2:00
Campus Community Commission:
1. Planning collaborations between CLC and UC to recruit students with the theme
of “how can AS work for you?”.
2. Working on Safety Day activities which will take place once a month.
3. Shouted out members who came to the Good Neighbor Clean-up. The next one
will be on October 16th at 10:00 am.
Community Service Commission:
1. The Students Give Back Fair is this Monday from 11:00 am – 2:00 pm in the
2. Planning a pop-up service event for breast cancer awareness. Asked members
for their input.
3. Looking for students on every commission to act as liaisons between Aztecs
Rock Hunger and their commissions.
Recreation and Wellness Commission:
1. Architects gave an update on the ARC.
2. Working on outreach and recruiting members.
3. Fitness Jam last Thursday was cool.
4. Registration for intramural sports is open.
5. Beach Volleyball is a new addition.
6. Fitness Fridays events to continue.
7. Trader Joe’s is hosting tours of their store every Tuesday from 10:00 – 11:00 am
and is giving free tote bags to attendees.
8. October 3rd is the dedication of the ENS Field.
Student Diversity Commission:
1. Cultural Organizations will be tabling on October 10th from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Student Support Commission:
1. 1st meeting will take place in the State Suite on Monday, September 16th at 10am.
1. Sustainable Day was today and was an awesome collaboration between many
on-campus sustainability organizations and off-campus organizations.
2. Where Activism Meets Policy: Green Lunchbag Speaker Series is Wednesday
September 25 at 12:00 pm in the Aztec Student Union Theatre
Campus Life Council Student-at-Large: No report.
Marketing and Communications Commission:
1. The Marketing and Communications Advisor, Giselle Luevanos, started on
2. There has been an increase in attendance at meetings.
3. Adding guest speakers to the calendar.
4. Shake Smart President will be speaking at a meeting soon.
VIII. ADJOURNMENT (Time Certain Adjournment 4:40pm)
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Kayla Blaylock adjourned the meeting at 4:41 PM.
APPROVED BY: Kyla Blaylock, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Nikki Eliaschev, A.S. Government Secretary