Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, September 4, 2019 - 6:00pm
COUNCIL CHAMBERS • CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Kyla Blaylock called the meeting to order at 6:01 PM.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Kyla Blaylock, Christian Onwuka. Angelica Espinoza, George Scott, Dustin Adkins, Cassie Weinberg, Kole Wellenstein, David Gamble, Stephen Jackson, Kiana Charles, Aubrey Benito, Daria Dragicevic, Kelly Renton, Kaylah Abdullah, Lindsey Busk, Ashley Tejada, Connor Curley, Bri Ruloma, Joshua Purificacion, Abigail Tamayo, Courtney Ransom, Meghan Mahoney.
- Voting Members Absent: Antonio Marquez-Camacho, Christian Holt, Courtney Parks.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Nikki Eliaschev.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Randy Timm.
- Visitors Present: None.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of September 4, 2019.
IV. PUBLIC COMMENT
V. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
VI. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
VII. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Presentation on Giving Effective Reports: Executive Vice President Kyla Blaylock explained the difference between reports and announcements to AS CLC.
- Kyla Blaylock, Executive Vice President:
- Thanked everyone for going on the tours of the Cultural Centers on campus.
- Is working on the SDSU Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion plan committee.
- Will be on the steering commission for SDSU’s Mission Valley Campus.
- Has been collecting data from Aztec Nights to see how attendance can be improved which has been working well.
- Christian Onwuka, President:
- Encouraged A.S. CLC to join or reach out to other students who may be interested in joining the Strategic Plan Committee.
- Angelica Espinoza, Vice President of External Relations:
- September 16th is the voter training in the Council Chambers at 10:00 am.
- National Voter Registration Day is September 25th and the event will be in the Student Union from 11:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- Plans to involve students with the 2020 census.
- Will help onboard the Marketing and Communications Director, who starts September 16, 2019.
- Dustin Adkins, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Working on Aztecs Rock Hunger and wants to involve the San Diego community.
- Starting to look into the parking systems on campus.
- George Scott, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Voted in support for two University Senate resolutions that passed.
- Antonio Marquez-Camacho, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Cassie Weinberg, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Christian Holt, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Encouraged members of A.S. CLC to practice their reports with advisors or to schedule time with her.
- The new MarComm Director will begin September 16th.
- State of A.S. will be September 18th from 8:30 am – 11:00 am.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- There have been several events but no meetings yet.
- Fall retreat will take place this Saturday, September 7th.
- Campus Community Commission:
- 1st meeting was September 4th.
- Good Neighbor Cleanup is Sunday September 8th from 10:00 am – 11:00 am.
- Wants to work with Residential Education Office (REO) to engage freshman.
- Community Service Commission:
- 1st meeting was on September 3rd.
- Students Give Back Fair will be at the Student Union on September 23rd from 11:00 am – 2:00 pm.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- 1st meeting is Tuesday September 10.
- Working on a mental health week to take place.
- Live Well Aztecs event, the Fitness Jam, will be in the ARC on September 12th from 7:00 pm – 11:00 pm.
- Architecture Update will take place Tuesday September 17th during the regular meeting.
- Student Diversity Commission:
- Has been attending different cultural organizations meetings on campus and promoting the commissions.
- Planning a diversity event highlighting the cultural RSOs on October 10th from 10 am – 2 pm.
- Student Support Commission:
- 1st meeting will take place in the State Suite on Monday, September 16th at 10am.
- Sustainability Commission:
- Discussed the commission’s strategic goals at the 1st meeting, including the climate action plans and how to meet those goals.
- Got good feedback.
- Campus Life Council Student-at-Large: No report.
- Marketing and Communications Commission:
- The 1st Marcomm meeting took place September 4th.
- Will be tabling this week.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Kayla Blaylock adjourned the meeting at 6:54 PM.
APPROVED BY: Kyla Blaylock, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Nikki Eliaschev, A.S. Government Secretary