Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, March 20, 2019 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Nickolas Wohlman called the meeting to order at 3:34 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Michael Wiafe, Nickolas Wohlman, Christian Onwuka, Ronnie Cravens, Cat Kricorian, Connor Curley (late), Parnaz Boroon, Kaylee Rucker, Brianna Ruloma, Sabrina Sessarego, Kyla Blaylock, Max Johnson, George Scott, Dustin Adkins, Cassie Weinberg, Noah Winne, Lane Yazzie, Luke Fishman.
- Voting Members Absent: Beck Svensson, Chloe Sabio, Vecky Hernandez-Leon, Ashley Tejada, Sam Emami,
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Ryan Du, Dr. Randy Timm (late), Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Christian Holt, Angelica Espinoza, Stephanie Waits-Galia, Kara Bauer, Brandon Onwuka.
IV. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of March 20, 2019.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Economic Crisis Response Team New Tagline Discussion, Stephanie Waits-Galia, Director of Well-Being and Health Promotion (Time Certain 3:45 pm): Stephanie discussed the new ECRT tagline to get feedback on the marketing for ECRT.
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm
- There were a series of arson fires over the weekend started by a student. The student has been arrested and is now in jail. The Residence halls have promptly addressed the issue.
- Introduced Kara Bauer, Director of Residential Education, to discuss the Sophomore Success Program. She explained the purpose of creating the Sophomore Success Program with the two components to address the commuter and residential programs.
- A.S. Climate Action Plan Presentation: Sustainability Commissioner, Cassie Weinberg, and Sustainability Representative, Sabrina Sessarego, presented the A.S. Climate Action Plan and explained the sustainability goals for Associated Students.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President
- Take Back the Week” will take place April 9 from 5-7 pm in the Theatre to educate the campus community about sexual violence. There will be an event tomorrow from 10 am – 2 pm in front of Hepner Hall.
- GreenFest was a success!
- Over 100 nominations were received for Aztec Achievement Awards! It will take place on April 25 from 5-7 pm in Montezuma Hall.
- Mental Health Week planning is going well.
- Chris Thomas, President
- Gave an update on the Provost search. The third candidate will be on campus on March 21 and 22 and is speaking at an open forum tomorrow from 2-3:30 pm. The fourth candidate will be on campus on March 25 and 26 and will speak at an open forum on Monday from 2-3:30 pm. The Provost selection will be made by the beginning of April.
- Will be going to Washington D.C. next Tuesday and Wednesday with President Adela de la Torre for Hill Day to advocate on behalf of the CSU.
- Gave an update on the Student Media Advisory Committee. Congratulations to Ahmad Dixon on being selected the next General Manager of KCR and Bella Ross as the next Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Aztec!
- Attended the training around implicit and microbias with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
- A.S. candidate debates are now over. Voting period will take place March 25-28. Election results will be announced on Thursday, March 28 at 8 pm in Montezuma Hall.
- Michael Wiafe, Vice President of External Relations:
- California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) was a success! He emphasized the importance of including the Imperial Valley Campus. There will be an advocacy campaign for AB930 to stop executive compensation where there are tuition increases.
- Christian Onwuka, Vice President of Financial Affairs
- There will be a presentation for the ARC endowment plan.
- Will speak at the Harambe Welcome on Friday at 5 pm and the Weber Honors Welcome Reception on Saturday.
- Will continue giving budget presentations.
- Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University Affairs
- Clash of the Colleges” will be on May 3 in the Tula Community Center.
- Excited for Mental Health Week!
- Cat Kricorian, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Beck Svensson, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Chloe Sabio, ASBOD Student-at-Large: None.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
1. Encouraged members to attend the Elections results next Thursday.
Aztec Student Union Board:
1. There will be a Nooner tomorrow at 12 pm.
2. “Eat Your Heart Out” will take place next Monday and Tuesday at 3 pm.
3. “Spring Break Forever” will take place next Wednesday at 5 pm.
4. “Open Mic Night” will be next Friday at 5 pm.
Campus Community Commission:
1. There will be a meeting on Monday at 1 pm in the Legacy Suite.
2. Good Neighbor Clean Up will take place on Sunday.
Community Service Commission:
1. Will find an organization to volunteer with and help youth in the local area.
Recreation and Wellness Commission:
1. George spoke to sport clubs to update them on the ENS Field.
Student Diversity Commission:
Student Support Commission:
1. They will answer any questions regarding the Swipe Out Hunger resolution.
Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
1. Congratulations to Luke on his internship in Amsterdam for the summer!
Marketing and Communications Commission:
1. There will be spirit carting for A.S. elections next week.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Nickolas Wohlman adjourned the meeting at 5:41 PM.
APPROVED BY: Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary