Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, March 6, 2019 - 3:00pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Nickolas Wohlman called the meeting to order at 3:34 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
A. Voting Members Present: Michael Wiafe, Nickolas Wohlman, Christian Onwuka, Ronnie Cravens, Cat Kricorian, Sam Emami, Parnaz Boroon, Kaylee Rucker (left early), Brianna Ruloma, Sabrina Sessarego, Kyla Blaylock, Mitchell Nishimoto, Max Johnson, George Scott, Vecky Hernandez-Leon, Dustin Adkins, Cassie Weinberg, Noah Winne, Ashley Tejada (left early), Lane Yazzie.
B. Voting Members Absent: Chris Thomas, Beck Svensson, Chloe Sabio, Connor Curley, Luke Fishman.
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Ryan Du, Dr. Randy Timm (left early), Christina Brown, Aileen Wei.
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
E. Visitors Present: Dr. Jen Rikard, Manuel Rivera, Warsan Artan, Maricruz Carrillo.
IV. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of February 20, 2019.
There was a friendly amendment to add an item to discuss the Black Resource Center incident. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
1. There will be a Community Care Forum tomorrow at 3:30 pm and then Friday at 3:30 pm.
2. Encouraged members to be there for their friends during this stressful season.
B. Counseling and Psychological Services Presentation and Meditation – Dr. Jen Rikard, Director of Counseling and Psychological Services (Time Certain 3:45 pm): Dr. Jen Rikard reported on services that are available to students through Counseling and Psychological Services. Manuel Rivera practiced mindfulness with members during the meeting.
C. Discussion of the Black Resource Center (BRC) Incident: Discussed the incident at the BRC. Members expressed their feelings regarding this situation. Christian and Kyla encouraged members to attend the community care forum to be educated about issues and to visit the centers on campus. There will be a community care forum March 7 at 3:30 pm in Tula Community Center and March 8 at 3:00 pm in SSW 2501.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
A. General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
A. Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President:
1. There will be a Student Tailgate Committee meeting on Friday.
2. The deadline to nominate for the Aztec Achievement Awards is next Wednesday.
3. Mental Health Week planning has been a success.
B. Chris Thomas, President:
C. Michael Wiafe, Vice President of External Relations:
1. Will attend an assembly meeting.
2. California Higher Education Student Summit will take place this weekend. He gave an update on the bills.
3. He and Dr. J. Luke Wood will be featured in President Adela de la Torre’s podcast on compassionate leadership.
D. Christian Onwuka, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
1. Will have budget hearings for students organizations who receive A.S. funding on March 14, 15, 21, and 22.
2. Will form a team for the ARC endowment plan.
E. Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University Affairs:
1. Undeclared College Council panel was a success.
2. Met with the Dean of the Library.
3. Summer enrollment will occur soon!
4. “Clash of the Colleges” will be on May 3.
F. Cat Kricorian, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
1. Met with Steve to discuss the marketing videos plan.
G. Beck Svensson, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
H. Chloe Sabio, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
I. Christina Brown, Executive Director:
1. Chris is in Sacramento with President de la Torre for advocacy day for the CSU.
2. A.S. is collaborating with Dr. J. Luke Wood on campus diversity issues.
J. Aztec Student Union Board:
1. Excited for GreenFest next week! Kyla reviewed the events.
K. Campus Community Commission:
1. There will be campus safety meetings.
L. Community Service Commission:
1. Partnering with Best Buddies on an event.
M. Recreation and Wellness Commission:
1. “Fitness Jam” will take place on Thursday from 7-11 pm.
N. Student Diversity Commission:
1. Gave an update on the Holistic Admissions Review. Dr. Luke will be attending the SDC meeting tomorrow to discuss further.
2. Gave an update on the Native Resource Center.
O. Student Support Commission:
1. Mental Health Week will take place April 15-19.
2. They are working on the resolution to establish a Swipe Out Hunger Program at SDSU.
P. Sustainability Commission:
1. The Swap Shop will take place in Montezuma Hall on April 24. Donations are accepted in April.
2. The Climate Action Plan was approved.
Q. Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
1. Discussed projects and also the dangers of the Bird as transportation.
R. Marketing and Communications Commission:
1. Will promote GreenFest and A.S. Elections. Will spirit card for the next two weeks for GreenFest and A.S. Elections.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Nickolas Wohlman adjourned the meeting at 6:30 PM.
APPROVED BY: Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary