Associated Students | San Diego State University
Wednesday, February 6, 2019 - 3:00pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Nickolas Wohlman called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chris Thomas, Nickolas Wohlman, Michael Wiafe, Christian Onwuka, Ronnie Cravens, Chloe Sabio (late), Sam Emami (late), Emma Wenger, Connor Curley, Brianna Ruloma, Noah Winne, Sabrina Sessarego, Kyla Blaylock, Mitchell Nishimoto, Max Johnson, George Scott, Vecky Hernandez-Leon, Dustin Adkins, Cassie Weinberg, Cat Kricorian, Luke Fishman, Lane Yazzie.
- Voting Members Absent: Beck Svensson, Ashley Tejada.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Ryan Du, Christina Brown, Dr. Randy Timm.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Aileen Wei.
- Visitors Present: Kole Wellenstein, Katrina Mogannam.
IV. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of February 6, 2019.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
A. Justice Katrina Mogannam encouraged members to sign-up to serve on one of the University Senate committees.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
A. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Randy Timm:
1. There are many transitions within the University. Cultural Resource Centers will report to Academic Affairs.
2. The leadership summit will take place on February 16.
B. ARC Expansion and ENS Field Update (Time Certain 3:45 PM): George Scott and Brianna Ruloma, Recreation and Wellness Commissioner and Representative, and Chris Thomas, A.S. President, presented on the ARC Expansion and gave an update on the ENS Field project.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
A. General Consent Agenda (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS
A. Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President:
1. Aztec Achievement Awards will take place on April 25. There will be a meeting on Tuesday at 2 pm in the A.S. office. Nominations open on February 19.
2. GreenFest artist will be announced on February 15.
3. SDSU Leadership Summit will take place on February 16.
4. Mental Health Week will be April 15-19.
5. “Quest for the Best” applications are due February 18. He encouraged members to apply.
6. There will be a Student Tailgate committee and National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) to gauge student interest.
B. Chris Thomas, President:
1. Applications for elected positions are now available. They are due February 21.
2. Gave an update on Aztecs Shops. Everbowl is now open in South Campus Plaza.
3. The Provost search meetings will continue next week. The selection of a new Provost will take place in March.
C. Michael Wiafe, Vice President of External Relations:
1. Discussed the CSU Parking Fairness Act to have parking passes for students at a lower rate than faculty and staff.
2. Will be in San Francisco for California State Student Association (CSSA) next weekend.
3. Applications to attend California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) are open until Sunday.
4. Will meet on Saturday with Assemblymember Shirley Weber and young legislators.
5. Attended the student analytics team kick-off at University of California, Riverside to discuss the equity gap.
6. Gave an update on creating a podcast on “Compassionate Leadership” scheduled for March 4.
D. Christian Onwuka, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
1. Working on informational videos for funding opportunities.
2. Meeting with Dr. Luke Wood to discuss the high school conference.
3. Serving on the Mission Valley finance subcommittee.
4. Beverly, A.S. President of CSU, Northridge, expressed interest in creating a campaign similar to Aztecs Rock Hunger on their campus.
5. Maryana Khames, First-Year Leadership Experience (FLEX) student, will interview in San Francisco for the Student Trustee position.
E. Ronnie Cravens, Vice President of University Affairs:
1. The College of Business position is filled.
2. Working on “Clash of the Colleges”
3. “Your Voice Matters” campaign will focus on increasing elections applications and voter turnout.
4. Encouraged members to serve on University Senate committees.
5. University Affairs Board will meet Friday at 11 am in Council Chambers.
6. Will attend the International Student Center Coffee Hours on Friday at 12 pm.
7. Gave an update on events discussed in Academic Affairs Committee.
a. “Discover Your Dream” will take place March 6 from 4-6 pm in Montezuma Hall
b. Graduate Student Association (GSA) will have a graduate student panel on March 12 for undergraduate students.
c. February 17-22 is National Engineering Week!
d. There will be a PSFA A.S. Expo on February 13 at 10 am in Scripps Cottage.
F. Cat Kricorian, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
1. Will continue to create marketing videos for commissions.
G. Beck Svensson, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
H. Chloe Sabio, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
I. Christina Brown, Executive Director:
1. She has been preparing a presentation to President Adele de le Torre on Associated Students.
2. Attended the Auxiliary Organizations Association (AOA) meeting in January.
J. Aztec Student Union Board:
1. Gave an update on the student lounge and meeting rooms as study rooms during the day.
2. “Sip ‘N Paint” will take place February 12.
3. “Cooking with Chefs” will take place February 12.
4. Encouraged members to attend “Why I Give” on February 14.
5. Grateful to those who participated in “Mix it Up”.
K. Campus Community Commission:
L. Community Service Commission:
1. There will be a “Why I Give” Events on February 14 from 10 am – 2 pm in the Union Courtyard.
2. Encouraged members to be a First Year Initiative (FLI) mentor.
M. Recreation and Wellness Commission:
1. Encouraged members to join the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC).
2. There will be a special Valentine’s Day chef cooking class on February 14 from 12-1 pm at the Scripps Cottage Patio.
3. Discussed the women’s only gym hours at the ARC Express on Monday and Wednesday from 1:30-3:30 pm. It will be voted on Tuesday at the Recreation and Wellness Commission meeting.
4. The deadlines to join an Intermural team have been extended.
N. Student Diversity Commission:
1. Requested the police phone number to be put in gender neutral restrooms.
2. Will work with the Undocumented Resource Center.
3. Will have the first meeting tomorrow.
4. Excited to work on creating a Native Resource Center.
O. Student Support Commission:
1. Discussed lighting concerns.
2. Will invite Darrell Hess, the new ombudsman, to attend a Student Support Commission meeting.
3. CalFresh Day will be February 27. The Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) will help register students to apply.
P. Sustainability Commission:
1. Gave an update on the Parking and Transportation committee. Parking for freshmen on-campus will be restricted starting Fall 2019. Waivers are available for those who need it.
2. “Plant Power” will be coming to SDSU.
3. Will continue to work on the Climate Action Plan.
Q. Campus Life Council Student-at-Large:
R. Marketing and Communications Commission:
1. Will promote Elections, GreenFest, and Mental Health Week.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Nickolas Wohlman adjourned the meeting at 5:58 PM.
APPROVED BY: Nickolas Wohlman, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary